Helmet Nazis at It Again!

Old October 11th 06, 04:23 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.general
Bill Z.

Default Helmet Nazis at It Again!

writes:

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 22:01:14 GMT,
(Bill Z.)
wrote:

Your own "reasoning" would suggest that wearing helmets in a
construction zone (as construction workers sometimes must do)
discourages people from entering that line of work. Do you think
anyone believes that?

Your extension is false and without merit.

Nope (and you snipped what you had stated to hid the fact that
I gave you an apropos analogy).

I think it quite likely that some people choose not to seek employment
in situations that they consider dangerous - and reasonably so if the
danger is real, and the compensation insufficient. That construction
workers are required to wear helmets I assume is a different situation
from cyclists being similarly required; the difference being both that
construction IS dangerous and their helmets ARE protective.

You aren't addressing the issue, which was whether you think that
merely requiring helmets while on a job site discourages people from
wanting to be construction workers - that is basically what you said
about bicycle helmets.

I might add that some construction workers will probably tell you that
riding a bicycle in traffic is too dangerous to contemplate. It isn't
the helmets, but knowing that they lack the skill to ride in traffic
(and not knowing that such skills can be learned).

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old October 11th 06, 04:30 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.general
Bill Z.

writes:

Bill Z. wrote:
writes:

Where I live there are "public service" announcements on
the radio from the local police force, stating that helmets prevent
88% of head injuries.

I've never seen such announcements in the newspapers around here. Don't
know about the radio as I've more or less permanently shut the goddamn
thing off due to excessive loud, obnoxious advertising, but before I
gave up on radio, I never heard any such announcements.

Bill's introduced an Interesting debate technique: saying "I'm
ignorant, so you must be wrong."

First, to correct my reply to JTaylor, I inadvertently typed your
name. But other than that, since when is putting up with loud,
obnoxious, "screaming idiot" advertising a requirement to particpate
in any discussion. Does Krygowski have a problem with (gasp)
reading or talking to people?

I have repeatedly seen such false helmet-promotion statements, in
newspaper articles, in helmet promotional pamplets, in web pages, and
in testimonial materials provided to legislators.

You may choose to go through life ignoring all media, if you like. But
the resulting ignorance does NOT work as proof. What you don't know
about can certainly exist!

Krygowski, dishonest as ever, is trying to deflect the fact that the
*local police force* is not putting this stuff out around here. He
says one thing and then when called on it, he pretends he was talking
about something else. It is his typical "debating" tactic, and one of
the reasons I have no respect for him.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old October 29th 06, 06:10 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.general
Bill Z.

"ilaboo" writes:

i understand recent medical studies have shown tht cycles who wear helmits
have more serious injuries than does who dont--question are cycles who wear
helmets taking more chances than does who doiont?--i sort of think so at
least from what i see here in ny

You mean the people who are "serious" enough about it to get in good
enough shape to get up very steep hills, which are then descended at a
high rate of speed (most of these individuals wear helmets, if only
because their friends do) tend to have worse accidents than "grandma"
does when riding around the block on quiet streets? While serious
cyclists certainly have a much higher skill level than "grandma", they
ride a lot more as well.

All you found out is that people who ride a lot tend to use helmets
and can also handle more difficult conditions. With the increased
skill levels, they have a low accident rate but when accidents do
occur, the accidents can be much worse due to the higher speeds and
more difficult traffic conditions.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB