Dp drivers even see sidewalk bicyclists?

Old October 19th 15, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Dp drivers even see sidewalk bicyclists?

Saw wrong way riding bicyclist on a sidewalk this morning nearly get that run down feeling as he entered an intersection.

To start with riding on the sdidewalk here is illegal and so is riding facing traffic.

I've seen a number of close calls between sidewalk bicyclists and motor vehicles at intersections. this leads me to wondera few things. #1. Does the average driver (especially one who doesn't bicycle) even see a sidewalk bicyclist? At least a helmet helps a motorist distinguish between a pedestrian and a bicyclist.

#2. If a motorist does see a sidewalk bicyclist does that motorist register the person as a bicyclist or even see the bicycle?

#3. Is a non-bicycling motorist even able to judge the speed a sidewalk bicyclist is going?

It seems to me thqat many times the motorist might glance at the sidewalk, start to enter the intersection or make a turn only to have a fast riding bicyclist suddenly appear as if out of a time warp and then the motorist slams on the brqakes or takes evasive action. Either of those can then cause a motor vehicle accident.

One other thing. According to the police here technically if a bicyclist runs into a pedestrian it's concidered a vehicle pedestrian collision anas such it's supposed to be reported to the police.

Cheers
Old October 19th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

#2. If a motorist does see a sidewalk bicyclist does that motorist register the person as a bicyclist or even see the bicycle?

#3. Is a non-bicycling motorist even able to judge the speed a sidewalk bicyclist is going?

It seems to me thqat many times the motorist might glance at the sidewalk, start to enter the intersection or make a turn only to have a fast riding bicyclist suddenly appear as if out of a time warp and then the motorist slams on the brqakes or takes evasive action. Either of those can then cause a motor vehicle accident.

One other thing. According to the police here technically if a bicyclist runs into a pedestrian it's concidered a vehicle pedestrian collision anas such it's supposed to be reported to the police.

Cheers

Riding on a footpath (sidewalk) is allowed in some Australian states,
not in others. I recently moved from a state where riding on the
footpath is illegal for adults (there is an exception for adults
accompanying children below a certain age), to a state where it is legal.

I watch hundreds of people dodging peak hour traffic by riding on the
footpath around Brisbane where it is legal. There doesn't seem to be a
huge number of reported collisions with pedestrians or cars driven
across the path.

--
JS
Old October 19th 15, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

OCCASIONALLY I SPEAK WITH CANADIAN TOURISTS. They ask me if I would be ingerested in giving them money for sex acts, eg swallowing semen while I pour gasoline on them n set them on fire....

many doahn wanna go back....weeping they have to go back or the fascist Canadian government will steal their social security money

others exult in the freedom they have as visitors that we have here ein the USA. eg parading naked in Seattle while looking for money for swallowing semen, eating drugs before skiing in Colorado.

Comes ass no surprise a bicyclists cannot ride against traffic, the only rational ride direction.

Old October 19th 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

#2. If a motorist does see a sidewalk bicyclist does that motorist register the person as a bicyclist or even see the bicycle?

#3. Is a non-bicycling motorist even able to judge the speed a sidewalk bicyclist is going?

It seems to me thqat many times the motorist might glance at the sidewalk, start to enter the intersection or make a turn only to have a fast riding bicyclist suddenly appear as if out of a time warp and then the motorist slams on the brqakes or takes evasive action. Either of those can then cause a motor vehicle accident.

One other thing. According to the police here technically if a bicyclist runs into a pedestrian it's concidered a vehicle pedestrian collision anas such it's supposed to be reported to the police.

I suppose whether motorists see sidewalk cyclists varies greatly with
the situation - how much visual clutter there is, how much the motorist
has to concentrate on other MV traffic, how many cyclists there are both
on local sidewalks and on local streets, etc. I think all those factors
also apply to the problem of recognition.

I recall that the worst problem comes with wrong-way sidewalk cyclists.
They're unusual enough that very few motorists look for them. And
since they're illegal in most places, there really shouldn't be anyone
in that position moving at cycling speed.

Regarding the judgment of speed: That requires observing someone or
something for at least a few seconds. My guess is that in a typical
situation, motorists don't get a view of cyclists for that length of time.

I recall one incident, probably 20 years ago, when I nearly hit a
sidewalk cyclist. I was in a distant city, driving out a very narrow
driveway between buildings that immediately abutted the sidewalk. My
view up and down the sidewalk was almost nil.

I was afraid of hitting a pedestrian, so I stopped with my front bumper
at the sidewalk edge, then crept forward slowly. As I did that, a
middle-aged guy came down the sidewalk from my right, probably about 15
mph. We both stopped. I said something about sidewalk riding being very
dangerous, and he just shrugged and pedaled on.

BTW, I think the same problems exist for "protected cycletracks."
They're really just glorified sidewalks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 15, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

#2. If a motorist does see a sidewalk bicyclist does that motorist register the person as a bicyclist or even see the bicycle?

#3. Is a non-bicycling motorist even able to judge the speed a sidewalk bicyclist is going?

It seems to me thqat many times the motorist might glance at the sidewalk, start to enter the intersection or make a turn only to have a fast riding bicyclist suddenly appear as if out of a time warp and then the motorist slams on the brqakes or takes evasive action. Either of those can then cause a motor vehicle accident.

One other thing. According to the police here technically if a bicyclist runs into a pedestrian it's concidered a vehicle pedestrian collision anas such it's supposed to be reported to the police.

Cheers

Don't most State highway laws specifically designate a bicycle as a
vehicle and thus entitled to use the public roads?

Thus it is legally a vehicle, is it not?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 20th 15, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Road aggression around Miami is remarkable, probably max in USA.
Old October 20th 15, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I am not ID'd as Floridian

Fla became 3rd in population in uh February. 50 years from S Al to S AARP.

That Frank would 'know many' ... ?

My Can Humor is descriptive for the economic level I cum in contact with. USA allows all kinds of raff thru when going north is Checkpoint Malcomb.

Hi, are you Canadian ? SEZ USA border..

Eh eh SEZ the Canadian

Watch gonna do ? sez USA

Eh eh, were gonna suck ducks n sell 20 pounds of weed

Well, enjoy your stay ...

#2. If a motorist does see a sidewalk bicyclist does that motorist
register the person as a bicyclist or even see the bicycle?

#3. Is a non-bicycling motorist even able to judge the speed a sidewalk
bicyclist is going?

It seems to me thqat many times the motorist might glance at the
sidewalk, start to enter the intersection or make a turn only to have a
fast riding bicyclist suddenly appear as if out of a time warp and then
the motorist slams on the brqakes or takes evasive action. Either of
those can then cause a motor vehicle accident.

One other thing. According to the police here technically if a bicyclist
runs into a pedestrian it's concidered a vehicle pedestrian collision
anas such it's supposed to be reported to the police.

Cheers

Don't most State highway laws specifically designate a bicycle as a
vehicle and thus entitled to use the public roads?

Thus it is legally a vehicle, is it not?
--
cheers,

I think his point is that vehicles are not allowed on sidewalks. Having
been nearly bowled over by a bike while walking on the sidewalk and having
seen my wife in physiotherapist for weeks after being hit by a bike while
walking on the sidewalk I agree.

--
duane

56 Years Old Sidewalk Pedistrian Killed by Bicyclist On Sidewalk Sir Ridesalot General 9 August 15th 09 03:45 AM
Sidewalk law [email protected] Techniques 1 December 1st 08 05:59 AM
street vs sidewalk _[_3_] Unicycling 1 July 7th 08 10:18 PM
YAY - Chicago treating criminal bicyclists same as criminal drivers Bill Henry General 5 July 27th 05 11:06 AM
Bicyclists - Best way to punish drivers who endanger you Laura Bush murdered her boy friend General 267 February 25th 05 06:46 PM