BikeLid??

Old April 4th 05, 06:07 AM
Neil Brooks

Default BikeLid??

Just parked at my friend's wife's workplace on Saturday . . . under
one of these

http://www.bikelid.com/

I thought it was about the coolest thing since peanut butter. Course,
the lock part of our cable was too thick to go through, but we locked
frames to the unit's post (that was bolted to concrete). Knowing, I'd
just bring a padlock in the future.

Anybody else seen/used these??
Old April 4th 05, 06:28 AM
Bill Sornson

Neil Brooks wrote:
Just parked at my friend's wife's workplace on Saturday . . . under
one of these

http://www.bikelid.com/

I thought it was about the coolest thing since peanut butter. Course,
the lock part of our cable was too thick to go through, but we locked
frames to the unit's post (that was bolted to concrete). Knowing, I'd
just bring a padlock in the future.

Anybody else seen/used these??

I /told/ you not to eat the mushrooms down in Mission Valley.

You found a lid, all right.

Sleep it off.

Old April 4th 05, 05:19 PM
Maggie

Neil Brooks wrote:
Just parked at my friend's wife's workplace on Saturday . . . under
one of these

http://www.bikelid.com/

I thought it was about the coolest thing since peanut butter.

Course,
the lock part of our cable was too thick to go through, but we locked
frames to the unit's post (that was bolted to concrete). Knowing,

I'd
just bring a padlock in the future.

Anybody else seen/used these??

I've never seen one, but I think its very cool. Even without the
mushroom haze that Bill claims you were in, it would have been cool.
It's going to get into the 70's in Jersey this week I hear. Time to
get serious with my bike. So far we have just been casual
acquaintances. Now we have to get serious. Maybe this week I will get
lucky and I will get to 2nd base with my bike.
Maggie.

Old April 4th 05, 08:35 PM
Veloise

This was actually posted on the first, right??

--Karen M.
not gonna suggest it to my local bike locker place nor my boss

Old April 4th 05, 08:46 PM
Neil Brooks

"Veloise" wrote:

This was actually posted on the first, right??

--Karen M.
not gonna suggest it to my local bike locker place nor my boss

While I'm an April Fool all the year round, these things are quite
legit. They were at the La Jolla (San Diego) Veteran's Administration
building.

According to http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/7.16.html, the BikeLid
is 43" x 96" x approx 50" high and costs about $845.

It looks as though BikeLid Systems, LLC is a subsidiary of SPARK
(Sponsored Bicycle Parking Systems)
(http://www.starlitemedia.com/retailers/index5.html)

It also seems that San Diego's RideLink has adopted them to facilitate
bicycle commuters accessing the San Diego County light rail system
(http://www.ridelink.org/bikelid.html)

If you're genuinely looking for more convenient, safer bike parking at
work, this might be a good option....
Old April 4th 05, 08:49 PM
Darin McGrew

Veloise wrote:
This was actually posted on the first, right??

Nope. It's legit. I've seen them around.

If your bike and lock are compatable, they work great. If not...
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that
comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
Old April 4th 05, 09:23 PM
jj

Veloise wrote:
This was actually posted on the first, right??

Nope. It's legit. I've seen them around.

If your bike and lock are compatable, they work great. If not...

So it appears that the advantage is that thieves can't easily see what kind
of bike it is, and can't rip off individual components? Makes sense.

jj

Old April 5th 05, 04:20 AM
maxo

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 05:07:55 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

nybody else seen/used these??

They've been around at a few El stops in Chicago. I think I saw a few on
the northern end of the red line.
Old April 5th 05, 03:23 PM
Pat Lamb

maxo wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 05:07:55 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

nybody else seen/used these??

They've been around at a few El stops in Chicago. I think I saw a few on
the northern end of the red line.

They look like they'd take up an awful lot of room for each bike that
could be stored. I'm mentally comparing them to the bike lockers at
some suburban D.C. Metro stations; those are lined up right next to each
other.

Pat
Old April 6th 05, 06:33 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Pat Lamb writes:

They look like they'd take up an awful lot of room for each bike that
could be stored.

That still ain't a patch on the acres of free car
parking facilities I see every day.

I'm mentally comparing them to the bike lockers at
some suburban D.C. Metro stations; those are lined up right next to each
other.

Vancouver has similar along the SkyTrain line, except
there aren't any lockers at the stations where they'd
be most useful. Locker rental works out to $10/month.

I like the BikeLids' "bring your own lock" idea, as
well as the refuge from the elements they provide
for people's precious rides.

cheers,
Tom

--