Touring Bike Recomendations?

Old July 9th 03, 12:44 PM
Nartker

Default Touring Bike Recomendations?

I am living in Northern Wisconsin, and am looking for a new touring bike. Most
likely it would be used for short day trips, light loads, on groomed trails
and rural roads. I need a sturdy frame for my body size and have never been
happy with my aluminum frame Canondale. I also have short legs and a long
torso.

What bikes are recomended for these conditions? I have been considering a
Bruce Gordon Rock-n-Road.

Thanks

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

Old July 9th 03, 12:57 PM
Doug Huffman

Come on down to SAGBRAW and see the variety of bikes there.

I'll be on my 'bent and my riding partner on a Bike Friday. A BG might not
be the best use of your funds given the apparent level of your involvement
and experience. No conventional bike will be significantly different or
more comfortable than a C-dale. Better ensure that the bike is properly
fitted.

I try to teach my daughter that 'what you do with what you have is more
important than what you have'. Otherwise go ahead and buy a Hummer and weld
a Litespeed to it - then you too can be an extreme cyclist.

Old July 9th 03, 05:35 PM
Kevin

BG is a fine bike and I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

Your displeasure with a Cannondale is interesting. I'm on an aging 12 year
old h600 with front and back racks. the bike is very comfortable, and the
bottomside rests on a Brooks Champion flyer (b-17 with springs). I'd
consider a C'dale T2000 in a heartbeat if I were replacing my ride. And
there are more Trek 520's than any speciality bike. If these don't fit, BG
is a super choice.

Old July 10th 03, 01:22 AM
Damian Harvey

Having just come back from 2000 km in 2 months in SE Asia I can say with
some authority that the bike doesn't matter, nor does the rack or the
panniers. Just get any bike that won't break, pack up a few clothes and
get out and ride. It's really simple. You don't need a fancy touring
bike. I have a heavy Trek MTB and my panniers are cheap Tioga 3 pocket
jobs and I didn't have any problems.

--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.

Old July 10th 03, 01:30 PM
MYMACV

Most
likely it would be used for short day trips, light loads, on groomed

trails
and rural roads.

I, too, recommend the Rivendel Romulus. I recently bought a Rom and it really
is the most comfortable, nicest riding bike I've owned. It comes standard with
a 46x36x26 triple crank which seems to make more sense than the 52x42x30 taht
is standard for most road triples.
Important: Pay attention to Grant Petersen's sizing chart and don't get a
bike that's too small.
John