Inner tube recommendation

Old July 25th 12, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Inner tube recommendation

On Jul 25, 12:09*am, Joe Riel wrote:
thirty-six writes:
On Tuesday, 24 July 2012 23:30:13 UTC+1, JoeRiel *wrote:
thirty-six > writes:

> On Tuesday, 24 July 2012 18:17:46 UTC+1, (unknown) *wrote:
>> On Monday, July 23, 2012 6:19:45 PM UTC-5, thirty-six wrote:
>>

>> > downside is being unable to steady the pump by holding on to the tyre, so then the valve stem gets unecessarily stressed. *Bracing the forearm against the knee is one option but it's not ideal.
>>
>> That's easily solved by pumping the tire with wheel off the bike. *Bracing is done at the pump and the wheel follows with little stress to the valve.
>
> That's unecessary work, takes away my time and could lead to mistakes on re-installation of the wheel.

Huh? *It isn't any slower pumping the tire, so how is it any more work?

There is work and time involved in removing a wheel and replacing it. *I'd rather not waste such a precious resource.

On the contrary, if you do make a mistake, you'll have to remove the
wheel again,

????? * I don't remove a wheel to put air into it.

Then why are you putting air into the tire with a frame pump? *That is

That is what I carry, it is most appropriate for the job.

what is being discussed. *I inflate my tires before a ride, and do so
with a floor pump. *If a tire goes soft on a ride, it's going to
need fixing.

I've very rarely left myself sufficient time in the morning to top up
tyres, and it is rarely necessary with good butyl tubes. My decision
to inflate comes when on the road in order to improve my riding
experience.

which I won't have to. *If you're suggesting patching the
tube without removing the wheel, that will almost certainly be slower.

I wasn't considering that, but yes, I do that, it is quicker.

Good luck doing that with tubulars.

I find my tubulars rarely need more air.

Consider purchasing a floor pump for home use. *They are quite
useful.

I have a very good Witberg pump. It's quite handy for tubulars as the
high pressure attainable suitably squeezes the mastic so the tyre is
secured without excess. The little bead that forms at the edge of the
rim over 24 hours indicates to me that the tyre is appropriately
secured for racing after a further day. I rarely use more than 6bar
on the road so don't need the track pump at any other time. The need
to use a track pump for regular road riding pressure indicates to me
that inappropriate tyres are being used.
Old July 25th 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:26:08 PM UTC-7, Art Harris wrote:
SMS wrote:

> I.e. Pricepoint offers 18-25 and 28-35 only, and neither is ideal, while
> Kenda offers 18-23, 20-25, 23-25, 23-28, 28-32, 35-43.

23-28 would be perfect for me, but I haven't seen them anywhere. I'd also prefer a medium stem length of about 40mm (as Performance provides).

Sure you want the tube to be just right, but it doesn't really matter that much. And stems that are too long can be a b*&^h, but only when installing the tube (what did you say, once in five years unless the tire wears out first?)

Old July 25th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

On Friday, July 20, 2012 4:40:21 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
yo Art,

tubes bought are double thick butyl ?

wanna report back if 2x butyl resolves the problem ?

tubes are prob IRC ?

Tubes are 700c x 28-32, 0.9mm thick and 139g. Installed one in my Pasela 700x28.

Tubes seem fine. I don't really have a problem (two flats in ~ five years). Will report back if things get much worse!

Art
Old July 26th 12, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:19:33 AM UTC-7, thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:26*pm, Art Harris > wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>
> > I.e. Pricepoint offers 18-25 and 28-35 only, and neither is ideal, while
> > Kenda offers 18-23, 20-25, 23-25, 23-28, 28-32, 35-43.
>
> 23-28 would be perfect for me, but I haven't seen them anywhere. I'd also prefer a medium stem length of about 40mm (as Performance provides).
>
> Art Harris

Michelin Airstop® Butyl Tubes
700x25-32C / A2 / 40mm presta valve / 125g

Michelin's A2 size is only in a 40mm stem so "A2" is all you need to
look for.

whatsan AIRSTOP ? izzit extra ?
Old July 26th 12, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

idea of going out back on butyl tubes gives me the willys
Old July 26th 12, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/07/12 16:20, datakoll wrote:
idea of going out back on butyl tubes gives me the willys

Jeep?
Old July 26th 12, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

SMS wrote:

I.e. Pricepoint offers 18-25 and 28-35 only, and neither is ideal, while
Kenda offers 18-23, 20-25, 23-25, 23-28, 28-32, 35-43.

23-28 would be perfect for me, but I haven't seen them anywhere. I'd also prefer a medium stem length of about 40mm (as Performance provides).

Art Harris

Michelin *Airstop® Butyl Tubes
700x25-32C / A2 / 40mm presta valve / 125g

Michelin's A2 size is only in a 40mm stem so "A2" is all you need to
look for.

whatsan AIRSTOP ? izzit extra ?

It's the name for their regular type tubes, least expensive.
Old July 26th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Jul 19, 3:04*pm, David Scheidt wrote:

I've been using michelin airstops lately, with ood results.

I too use the Michelin Airstops. I have had good luck with them; a
previous bunch of Specialized tubes failed at the base of the valve
stem (but that was years ago). I sought out the Airstops because they
have smooth, unthreaded stems and are easier to use with a Silca
presta chuck.

BC
chucked
Old July 26th 12, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jul 19, 7:42*pm, thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:36*pm, Art Harris wrote:

I need to buy some inner tubes. Recent online reviews seem to pan
Nashbar/Performance, and even Conti.

I ride 700c x 25 tires and am mostly interested in reliability, and
flat protection, not extra light weight. Suggestions?

Art Harris

Vredestein. * My last one was branded for Raleigh but I doubt you will
find any of them, you need to look for "made in holland". *It's Vred's
standard weight tubes which initially seem quite thick but outperform
in reliability, longevity, air-tightness and do not seem to penalise
in rolling resistance over lightweight butyls.

Doesn't look like the tubes I referred to are still in production,
they are on a one-size-fits-all effort.
Old July 26th 12, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:42:22 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 26/07/12 16:20, datakoll wrote:
> idea of going out back on butyl tubes gives me the willys

Jeep?

yeah. itsa puzzle form me on how the 'racer' equipped group gets from A to B.