Merlin Extralight 1999 Feeler

Old September 12th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

Default Merlin Extralight 1999 Feeler

Hi Gang,
Flirting with selling my last-of-Cambridge-edition. Basic gruppo is
Campy Record 1999 9-speed. Modifications/additions to that a

• Easton EC 90 (all carbon including steerer tube) fork replaced stock
Time last year
• Chris King headset
• Spinergy Xaero Lite wheels with white spokes
• Easton EC 90 seatpost.
• Kestrel EMS Pro carbon handlebars
• Giant stem 90mm, 10-degree rise
• New Campy hoods just installed
• Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle
• New (rear) + used (front) Conti Super Sport tires
• Samson Stratics Ti pedals

I have various extra stems, new & used of different lengths and brands
(Easton, Control Tech, Giant) + new Campy 9-speed chains available to
bundle as desired.

Never raced or crashed; superb condition. Would sell to help fund a
Seven.

Curious what a good asking price for this would be and/or welcoming
offers. Have some pics and can take more.

Thanks.

Old September 12th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Sep 12, 10:01*am, icdb wrote:
[...]

What size? Seat tube and top tube measurements would help. Also, what
are you asking/expecting? Thanks.
Old September 12th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

On Sep 12, 2:24*pm, bfd wrote:
On Sep 12, 10:01*am, icdb wrote:

[...]

Ooops! Sorry. Frame is a 57cm. I'll measure seat + top tubes as soon
as I can locate my metric tape.

Per my last paragraph I'm curious what an appropriate asking price
would be. I've been told these should hold their values very well. Any
thoughts?

Thanks.
Old September 12th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Sep 12, 11:53*am, icdb wrote:
On Sep 12, 2:24*pm, bfd wrote:

On Sep 12, 10:01*am, icdb wrote:

[...]

"should hold their values," that's a loaded phrase. Well, Merlins are
excellent bikes. However, ti is not *in* - too heavy compared to
carbon. Further, you have Campy Record 9 speed. which is considered
'old-school,' and most people today want 10 speed. So, what is it
worth? Used frames with carbon forks sell from $800 to maybe $1200.

Assuming your bike is in good to excellent condition, I would expect
around $1000-1400. Good Luck!
Old September 12th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Sep 12, 12:52*pm, bfd wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:53*am, icdb wrote:

On Sep 12, 2:24*pm, bfd wrote:

On Sep 12, 10:01*am, icdb wrote:

[...]

around $1000-1400. Good Luck!- Hide quoted text -

Btw, if you have an *superb* condition Merlin Extralight with Campy 9,
why in the world would you want a Seven? Its basically the same
thing?! Unless the Merlin didn't fit or something, why waste money?

Old September 12th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

On Sep 12, 3:54*pm, bfd wrote:
On Sep 12, 12:52*pm, bfd wrote:

On Sep 12, 11:53*am, icdb wrote:

On Sep 12, 2:24*pm, bfd wrote:

On Sep 12, 10:01*am, icdb wrote:

[...]

Can you help me think-up more loaded phrases for loaded buyers?

No need to appeal to "most people." Can wait for those who're able to
appreciate the Cambridge mystique...

By the way isn't proper fit "ever-subject-to-reinterpretation?" The
two "professional" fit kits I've had diverged by fully two centimeters
on recommended frame size. But the seed of my Seven idea includes more
than re-fit opportunities. Call it a whim, but of just the sort I've
been known to act on. You might laugh if I said more. Let's leave it
at that for now, if we may.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old September 12th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

Top tube: 57cm c-c
Seat tube: 55.5cm c-c

Old September 12th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"icdb" wrote in message
Top tube: 57cm c-c
Seat tube: 55.5cm c-c

Is the top tube sloping a small amount in order to reduce the measurement
from BB center to TT top?

Old September 12th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

Hi Tom,
First, I'm unable to follow your link for some reason...

Re top tube slope: I don't believe so. Looks now & always has to be
perfectly-parallel-to-ground.

In interest of full disclosure for you, bfd & others: this gets back
to some of what's giving me that itch to switch to Seven. One of the
few points of envy I've experienced since buying the Merlin is those
tres-schvette sloping top tubes which have emerged onto the scene
since 1999. I'm also into the idea of either a single speed
(freewheeling) or an internal-hub gear'd bike. Seven seems to offer
both.

Old September 13th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
lee

On Sep 12, 1:01*pm, icdb wrote:
[...]

I have the same bike in a slightly smaller size. Love the frame and
the ride. I'm *not* selling it...it took me two years to find this
late Cambridge-built frame.

If you *are* selling it, Merlin ELs are going for $1200-1600 on ebay,
just for the frame. Then the parts are worth another $800 or so.

But don't do it...you'll build up another bike, ride it twice and say
"Oops! What have I done!"

Buy another bike if you want, but don't sell the Merlin.

HTH,

Lee