Big, light saddle?

Old January 7th 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Big, light saddle?

I'm sure I've asked this question before somewhere in days of yore,
but I'm equally sure that the answer would not be exactly the same
today as when I asked it then:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel. I'd rather avoid fart slots,
lycra or stitched covers, too, but those things are negotiable in
exchange for largeness and lightness.

Any ideas?

Chalo
Old January 7th 12, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel.

+1.

But I suspect it will have tb wider than the Brooks products.]

Reason: 100% of the width is usable on a leather sling saddle,
but on the conventional saddles i have examined/used, there's a
re-enforced sort of "rail" around the edge of the saddle that's
too hard for sustained use. The usable width/sweet spot is much
narrower than the overall saddle width.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 7th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Chalo wrote:

I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It's probably obvious that I left something out here. That would be
"wide sit bones and high body weight".

Chalo
Old January 7th 12, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

but off course

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=9n+fo...:4 29,r:9,s:0
Old January 7th 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 6, 9:39*pm, Chalo wrote:
Chalo wrote:

I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It's probably obvious that I left something out here. *That would be
"wide sit bones and high body weight".

Chalo

Selle Italia Turbo Women's saddle. Old stuff. Not available
"new" (current manufacture) as far as I know along with the "reissue"
Turbo men's saddle. Steel rails, as you know. Mostly expensive on
ebay. I got one cheap and it is good, for my sitting problem. Can be
very expensive as an NOS item in an auction setting.

I'm using a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flo on the current in-service ride.
Expensive new (not cheap even when scrounged, used), manganese rails
are questionable, has gel and a relief (you should be so lucky)
channel down the middle. Not as comfy as the Turbo; although it looks
"flatter" across the sit-bones area than the Turbo, it rides
"narrower" for some reason I don't understand.

IMHO if Selle Italia made a new Ladies' Turbo and people tried it out
in spite of the incredibly massive amount of weight the steel rails
etc. add over the frangible (by report) Miracle Metal rails, they
could sell lots of those saddles and not only to women, either.

Answer to begged question: "It gives me a special feeling". And it
does, too.
--D-y

Ooops: Check out Terry? I would think you want something with steel
rails and it's not going to be any kind of "light".
Old January 7th 12, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:59:23 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

I'm sure I've asked this question before somewhere in days of yore,
but I'm equally sure that the answer would not be exactly the same
today as when I asked it then:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel. I'd rather avoid fart slots,
lycra or stitched covers, too, but those things are negotiable in
exchange for largeness and lightness.

Any ideas?

Chalo

Dear Chalo,

If you can't find what you want, one of these might be the next best
thing:

http://www.bicycleseats.com/search.a...tby=0&catid=28

Or you might buy one of them and get a local saddle maker to put the
sort of cover that you want on the bare frame.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 7th 12, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 7, 3:39*am, Chalo wrote:
Chalo wrote:

I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It's probably obvious that I left something out here. *That would be
"wide sit bones and high body weight".

Yet you also asked for the saddle to be light. 400g light or 1200g
light? High body weight being 280lb or 1/4 ton? Will this person
also have his big flabby thighs bandaged to help prevent scraping the
saddle edges?

Chalo

Old January 7th 12, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Carl Fogel wrote:

If you can't find what you want, one of these might be the next best
thing:

http://www.bicycleseats.com/search.a...tby=0&catid=28

Or you might buy one of them and get a local saddle maker to put the
sort of cover that you want on the bare frame.

Thanks Carl, but such titanic accommodations won't be necessary. I
have some decent choices already in my shop in the 9-inch-wide and
over category. I'm just looking for a 7-inch-wide saddle that has the
basic qualities of the typical 5-inch-wide saddle from a modern bike
with sporting pretensions. Thus "light" in this case is proportional
to size, and I expect that such a saddle, if it exists, may weigh 400
grams or so compared to half that for an up-to-date racing saddle, or
two to five times as much for a comfort saddle.

The trouble is that every saddle above the minimum size seems to be
burdened with features that add weight and modes of failure, but don't
necessarily make it a better perch for riding. I am reminded of the
Vetta ATB saddle I bought sometime in the late 20th century. Vetta
saddles of that time were of comparable construction, differing mainly
is size and shape between the different models. The ATB model was
wider and longer than the Racing model, but otherwise similar. From
the time capsule at BikePro:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/saddles/vetta.html

I wish I could find something like that anymore. Today's equivalent
would have a slot in it, gel humps, elastomer suspended rails, etc.,
etc. And as a result it would probably weigh and cost twice as much
while being less satisfactory as a seat.

Chalo
Old January 7th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try fabricating ? Chalo's Custom Cush

Old January 7th 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
wide sit bones

Can you put a number on it?

Measuring the dents I leave in a sheet of styrofoam, mine look to
be 5.25" C-C-c.
--
Pete Cresswell