Ride profile for Sacramento Wheelmen Sierra Century?

Old March 10th 04, 10:04 PM
Tom Young

Default Ride profile for Sacramento Wheelmen Sierra Century?

Hi all:

I'm looking at the "Sierra Century" put on by the Sacramento Wheelmen
June 5 as possibly my "first ever" century ride. Only thing is, the
web site doesn't have a rout profile posted, though the verbiage
suggests there's at least one pretty challenging climb: "You'll
approach the Sierra high country on your way to the legendary climb up
Slug Gulch. Those who conquer the climb will receive a special award.
If you'd like to save Slug Gulch for next year, take the bypass
option."

The description suggests – but doesn't say so in so many words – that
the "bypass" still gives you century distance. Can anybody clear this
up for me?

TIA.

Tom Young
Old March 15th 04, 04:34 AM
Steve Juniper

I did the Sierra Century double metric last year. Beautiful scenery over
roads with little traffic. Slug Gulch is steep but not that long. I soaked
my feet in wading pools of cold water provided at the top (as did others).
Very friendly and thought by many to be at least one of the best supported
centuries around.

Steve Juniper
"Most accidents occur at home in bed."
-- A.E. Neuman --

om...

Old March 17th 04, 04:57 PM
Bill Kraus

Of all the centuries I did last year (including the Death Ride), I think the
Sierra Century Challenge was my favorite. Great support, fun climbs (Slug
Gulch wasn't nearly as bad as they made it out to be, but then again, I live
in Tahoe and all we have here are hills to climb :-) ), and a good looking
jersey as well.