I saw Critical Mass

Old July 27th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

Default I saw Critical Mass

In article ,
Tim McNamara writes:
Bill Sornson writes:

On Jul 26, 9:58*am, "Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

"The revolution will not be televised"

http://www.cbs8.com/flv/video_pop_hd...&cat=undefined

CM is sure a bunch o' twits. They, like too many others, have
confused being anti-car with being pro-bike. They are not the same.

They're pro Freedom Of Movement. Something of which
streams of POVs denies people.

Every urban rush hour is a Critical Mass of cars &
their drivers. A metallic and mechanized Critical
Mass that casts humanity aside.

CM isn't a showcase about the good things about bicycles.

It's about the often stupid ways we people get
ourselves around.

Anyone who dislikes monthly bicycle Critical Mass should have
a real antipathy toward daily car Critical Mass -- and maybe
wise-up and stop contributing to it.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 27th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 27, 3:38 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

sniped for clarity

- on Critical Mass -

CM isn't a showcase about the good things about bicycles.

BINGO!!!

remainder snipped
Old July 27th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ozark Bicycle writes:
On Jul 27, 3:38 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

sniped for clarity

Snipped for what?

- on Critical Mass -

CM isn't a showcase about the good things about bicycles.

BINGO!!!

remainder snipped

Critical Mass is a showcase of the bad things about POV cars.

Old July 27th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jul 26, 12:58*pm, "Scott M. Kozel" wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:

and didn't like what I saw. I was coming on the bus (how else if
riding a bike is so dangerous on that road), and all of a sudden I see
a bunch of cyclists loosely riding the road. Some of them darting to
block the whole 3 lane road, and then back to taking 1 or 2 lanes. The
bus driver patiently slows to their pace for a while, until he decided
he had a schedule and blasted the horn at the unruly riders taking
unnecessary lanes...

First of all, nobody knew what they were up to. Some T-shirts, for
example, would have announced their cause. And secondly, that strategy
of blocking all lanes, doesn't make you friends.

So the wild monkeys were in rebellion, but nobody knew their cause. A
good slogan for the T-shirts would have been: "Hey, do like we did and
come out of your cages. R-evolution!"

"The revolution will not be televised"- Hide quoted text -

I think the revolution will be televised on premium cable, to keep the
proles away from it.

Good thing we've got the Internet, right?
Old July 27th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Do something for your fellow

On Jul 26, 4:18*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Scott M. Kozel" writes:

KingOfTheApes wrote:

and didn't like what I saw.

You saw a bunch of people acting like self-entitled drivers.
You saw a mirror reflection of how self-entitled drivers
behave.

I was coming on the bus (how else if
riding a bike is so dangerous on that road), and all of a sudden I see
a bunch of cyclists loosely riding the road.

That settles it! *You /are/ indeed anti-bike.

Some of them darting to
block the whole 3 lane road, and then back to taking 1 or 2 lanes. The
bus driver patiently slows to their pace for a while, until he decided
he had a schedule and blasted the horn at the unruly riders taking
unnecessary lanes...

First of all, nobody knew what they were up to. Some T-shirts, for
example, would have announced their cause.

Ersatz uniforms, eh? ***** that noise.
And you can shove that concept up your ass,
with vigour. *I'm hereby suspecting you of
being a Nazi with ulterior motives, and
trying to establish a bundt.

Phf**** you.

No, I'm not a Nazi, I'm not a Marxist or Maoist. I'm for organizing
the monkeys, so they have a better chance of success. T-shirts,
banners, flyers are necessary. Blocking the streets is not.

"Do something for your fellow monkeys in the cages. Give them a taste
of freedom --and banana. R-evolution!"

http://www.zazzle.com/r_evolution_ch...20369211816605

Old July 27th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jul 26, 5:31 pm, wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:34 am, KingOfTheApes
wrote:

and didn't like what I saw.

. . .

First of all, nobody knew what they were up to.

You mean just like the _literally_millions_ of horseless carriage
riders every day?

Oh, forgive me, but that language is rather old. I call the "horseless
carriage riders" "monkeys in cages," which gives us an idea of who we
are dealing with. No, we are not dealing with horses, but with monkeys
who drive because they see everybody else driving. That's called
"monkey see monkey do." And the hope is that when they see enough bike
rides out there WITH A CLEAR MESSAGE, they'll follow suit.

Old July 27th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I'd have thought they were a bunch of tourists from Holland

On Jul 26, 9:43*pm, BIG ONE wrote:
On 26 Jul, 16:34, KingOfTheApes wrote:

I was coming on the bus

whatever turns you on

(how else if riding a bike is so dangerous on that road)

how could it be dangerous CM was on ... or don't you know anything
about it?

My friend, you don't about the things of the jungle. There's a
principle called "safety in numbers." I was alone on that road I would
be crushed with no pity.

and all of a sudden I see a bunch of cyclists loosely riding the road.

that's right - well done, now why didn't you think - 'hey! i should be
down there with them
on the side of the angels' ?
snip the bla

No, I don't belong to the cagers, I don't belong with the wild
monkeys. I have my sympathies for Anarchists, but I don't like to
waste my time and perhaps life.

First of all, nobody knew what they were up to.

how do you know this ... get off the bus & interview folk did you?

If I wasn't involved in the revolution, I'd have thought they were a
bunch of tourists from Holland lost on our Darwinistic roads.

you-'excuse me sir'
cyclist- 'yea'
you - 'do you know what you are up to'
cyclist - 'no'
you - 'well i'll just get on to usenet about this then'

Some T-shirts, for
example, would have announced their cause.

missing the point aren't you?
were you wearing a 'i'm on a bus' t-shirt ?

Buses are in the revolution, dummy.

"Hey, if you ride public transportation to save the environment, it's
time to be proud of it. Show the selfish drivers of the Stupid
Unnecessary Vehicles that you are bigger than them."

http://www.zazzle.com/dinosaur_on_a_...22859773439204

And secondly, that strategy
of blocking all lanes, doesn't make you friends.

like you ???
aren't you friendly?

Yes, I'm friendly to cagers by not occupying all the lanes (just one)
and I'm even friendly to cats on the road. I've never killed a cat
with a bike. Just give them a scare with the bell.

So the wild monkeys were in rebellion, but nobody knew their cause. A
good slogan for the T-shirts would have been: "Hey, do like we did and
come out of your cages. R-evolution!"

print some & hand them out next month, you are only involved if you
get involved & if you're not involved ......
GET OUT OF THE WAY

Wild monkeys are good for the lion. He makes the point to the sheep
that they need "peace and safety" from the "dangerous apes" out there.
And you know the sheep need order and leaders.

What we need to organize the free monkeys (those already outside the
cages and riding bikes and buses) to show THE WAY to the rest of the
crowd. Remember, MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO.

Old July 27th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jul 27, 4:38*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
about the good things about bicycles.

It's about the often stupid ways we people get
ourselves around.

Anyone who dislikes monthly bicycle Critical Mass should have
a real antipathy toward daily car Critical Mass -- and maybe
wise-up and stop contributing to it.

That's too deep for them. When did you get that smart?

Your point is exactly right. But nobody has much sympathy for them
either. Remember that.
Old July 27th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

If you want to follow up with the revolution and why I said this...

"The day you want to take the streets of Miami by storm, let me know.
But no wild (anarchist) monkeys blocking traffic.

T-shirts, flyers and some bananas will do!"

click here...

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post7144336
Old July 27th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

(Tom Keats) writes:

Oh bull****. CM is about sticking it in the faces of drivers. You
can wrap a pile of **** in nice wrapping paper with a big bow, but
it's still a pile of ****.

Every urban rush hour is a Critical Mass of cars & their drivers. A
metallic and mechanized Critical Mass that casts humanity aside.

A critical mass that more or less obeys the rules of the road, unlike
the Critical Mass rides which emphasize and celebrate flouting the law.

CM isn't a showcase about the good things about bicycles.

It's about the often stupid ways we people get ourselves around.

Anyone who dislikes monthly bicycle Critical Mass should have a real
antipathy toward daily car Critical Mass -- and maybe wise-up and
stop contributing to it.

Again, bull****. CM is an activity with no clear agenda, no clear
objective, no way of communicating any agenda or goals. CM is just
about ****iness and stickin' it to Da Man, in this case Da Man in Da
Car. It's a counterproductive exercise onto which some apologists-
like yourself- project hifalutin crapola to justify the antagonism.

You want to support bicycling as a practical transportation
alternative? Just ride your bike. Follow the laws (including red
lights and stop signs). Don't ride erratically, don't ride the wrong
way down one way streets, don't jump on and off the sidewalks, etc.
Ride like you're an ambassador of cycling. Look like you're having
fun. Don't dress like you're in the Tour de France.