Boston-NY-DC Route?

Old October 14th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Sweet Old Bob

Default Boston-NY-DC Route?

I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?
Old October 14th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Cotton[_2_]

"Sweet Old Bob" wrote in message
I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?

The East coast Greenway has connection route from Mane to Florida.
http://www.greenway.org/
My webpage has Philadelphia to New York and Philadelphia to Florida via the
Delmarva peninsular

Old October 14th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I can fill in a pretty big gap between Providence RI and, say, New Jersey,
but my guess is that you may want to do a more direct route, rather than my
coastline route. Keep me in mind whenyou start mapping....

Old October 15th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Oct 14, 6:30*am, Sweet Old Bob wrote:
I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?

Here's info on what I did from Boston to Philadelphia. I"ll try to
add shortly info on the Philadelphia - Washington segment.

Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - Day 11

Left at 4:45 and rode 108 miles before taking a rest stop at
Haverhill, Massachusetts, around 1:45 p.m.. Then I struggled through
Boston
until stopping at 8:00 at the intersection of Route 1 and 95 (128) in
the
Southwest suburbs of Boston.

After starting out dry, I rode through 40 miles of rain in
Maine; then
dry, which except for my feet, allowed me to dry out.

Temperatures started out at 42° and peaked at around 52° - June
anyone? I wore my raincoat all day for the warmth. Because of
threatening
rain, I kept my heavy shirt in a plastic bag, and wore my raincoat
instead.

I stayed on Route 202 in Maine. It was mostly O.K. - fewer
hills than
earlier. There were a few scattered sections with no paved shoulder
area,
but not bad. The only flat riding was the last half dozen miles
before New
Hampshire.

In New Hampshire I rode Route 125, which was a delightful road -
fully
paved wide shoulders except for the final few miles before
Massachusetts.
Quite a few little rises and dips plus some modest hills but nothing
major.

Coming into Boston, Routes 125 and 28 both had some decent
areas, but
for the most part, cities are cities, with lots of traffic, stop and
go
lights, and pock-marked roads. Once in town, I swung past Harvard,
handling
the route clumsily for one who biked thousands of miles around there,
albeit
35 years ago.

After some equally clumsy maneuvering through the Brookline
area, I
picked up VFW Parkway, which later became Route 1.

Mileage for day - 156
Massachusetts 64, New Hampshire 41, Maine 51.
Mileage for trip - 1592.

Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - Day 12

I slept in this morning - indeed last night, I fell asleep
before
updating my logbook or showering, so I was obviously ready for some
extra
sleep.

Departure time was 7:30; I took a rest stop in Providence close
noon with 42 miles - the first 25 in Massachusetts.

I had mapped out a Rube Goldberg scheme of a route through
Connecticut
but decided to simplify things and stick to U.S. 1, so I wouldn't get
lost.

Naturally, I promptly got lost trying to use U.S. #1. Near the
MA/RI
border was a sign that said "1A" to Providence and "1" to
Pawtucket. I
stayed on "1" and it ended in Pawtucket, just ended - not even a sign
saying
so. Information was hard to come by, but I drifted east toward the
direction IA had veered from 1 and eventually got directions to 1A.

In East Providence, the signs for 1A just quit, too, but I was
able to
cross the needed bridge on 44. Across the bridge I saw a single sign
for US
1 and immediately lost track of it. So I took 44 west and decided to
resurrect my complex plan for Connecticut. I thought I could save
mileage
by switching from 44 to 6, but used 5 to do so, which veered back
toward
town and added miles and a big hill.

As this is written, it's almost 4:00 and I have only 70 miles.
I'm
sitting out a thunderstorm at a KFC in Danielson/E. Brooklyn,
Connecticut.
The morning began as yesterday ended, misty and cool with temperatures
around 50°. But it warmed up nicely and was mostly sunny reaching the
mid-70s. The current shower looks like it will pass.

The terrain is hilly, like most of the trip. Route 1 in
Massachusetts - after the VFW Parkway ended - was safe, but not scenic
(consistent businesses along the route, few of which were landscaped).
Western Rhode Island and the first few miles of Connecticut have been
mainly
wooded.

After the rain passed, I rode another 25 or so miles to Norwich
(just
missing the brunt of a second storm). In Norwich, a third
thunderstorm
started that lasted well over an hour. After 5 days getting wet
earlier in
the trip, I played wimp today and took shelter at a gas station. It
soon
became apparent there wouldn't be enough daylight after the rain
passed to
do anything much and still find a motel, so I stayed at a Ramada about
1 ½
miles away. With some other local riding I got 101 miles for the day.

In Connecticut: Route 6 to 169 to 2A to 82 - 169 was scenic if
hilly.
A lot of "old new England" looking farms but more trees, which in
places
formed a canopy over the road.

Miles for day - 101; Massachusetts - 25; Rhode Island - 40,
Connecticut - 36.
Miles for trip - 1,693

Thursday, June 3, 2004 - Day 13

Left the motel at 5:30 a.m. Early weather was cool and cloudy -
low
to mid 50s. No rain, though. The skies cleared late morning and
temperatures rose to the upper 70s.

At 18+ miles there was a ferry crossing - over the Connecticut
River -
state operated - $1.00 for bikes.

Early riding was mainly west on 82, 148 and 80, with a few miles
south
on 81 sandwiched in. As elsewhere, the hills are much worse going
east and
west. The New England rivers flow south, which help explain which way
the
hills run.

At mile 44 I hit East Haven and was in urban riding the rest of
the
day.

I picked up US 1 in New Haven, after a little looking - the
route 103
connector on the map wasn't there. I stayed on 1 to the New York
line,
taking a break in Milford (mile 59) (the third "Milford" I've
encountered
after Milford, Pennsylvania and Milford, Maine) for eating some trail
mix
and also taking a short nap.

I reached the New York line about 4:00 at mile 100, and got lost
in
Westchester, logging about 7 extra miles. I left US 1 in New
Rochelle,
moving east to Pelham Road.

The Bronx proved easy to cross - first going south within a long
park,
then west along an e/w parkway with many walkers, joggers and kids
playing
in the greenway. Then past the Zoo and gardens, and then a trip along
Fordham Avenue, which was just teeming with life, rowdy and noisy but
safe
enough. It was fun to "ride" through, though slowly, because traffic
laws
meant little here and nobody could move very rapidly.

Only about 9 miles through the Bronx, including a little extra
time to
find the bridge to Manhattan (I shouldn't have left Fordham Street).
Then
in Manhattan I found the George Washington bridge (which was easier to
find
than the bike route across it) and got across and had barely light
enough to
find a motel in Fort Lee. It's a Best Western.

Mileage for day - 135; Connecticut - 100; New York - 32; New
Jersey -
3.
Mileage for trip - 1828.

Friday, June 4, 2004 - Day 14

Left the motel at 5:40 and with slight difficulty got on route
46,
which I took all the way to Hackettstown, some 55 miles away. New
York
traffic played a role most of that way, including some uncomfortable
merge
and turn situations - one where 2 lanes merge in from the right, and 2
others where I was supposed to be in the left lane of a multi-lane
road with
heavy traffic. I learned the safest course is to get off the bike and
wait
for a break in the traffic.

I stopped for breakfast after 25 miles and then for 3 oranges
and a
chocolate milk in Hackettstown. I also took about a ½ hour break for
snack in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, just 25-30 miles from the end.

Temperature today was 60° to 70°, and sunny until late.

The westerly route in new Jersey (46 , then 57) like almost all
the
others in that direction had a lots of big hills. In Pennsylvania I
took
611 again, except stayed on it this time all the way into
Philadelphia.

Coming into Philadelphia was difficult outside the City - too
much of
the road was too narrow for me to fit comfortably in traffic. The
last 8
miles or so were good, though, as City riding goes. No more uphills,
the
street was wide, not too much traffic and the lights were usually
green for
Broad Street traffic. The last few blocks in Center City are slow but
that's because of the pulse of life on narrow streets. Within limits,
it's
fine.

I arrived at Matt's apartment in Philadelphia about 6:45 p.m.

Old October 15th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Oct 14, 6:30*am, Sweet Old Bob wrote:
I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?

Here's report on my Philadelphia - DC segment:

Bike Trip Report
Philadelphia-Savannah-Milwaukee
April 22, 2005 through May 7, 2005

April 22, 2005

This is the middle leg of a three year plan to bicycle the entire
east
coast. Last year, I went from Philadelphia north to Ste. Anne de
Beaupre,
Quebec, and back, re-entering the US at Matanuska, ME, which is as
close to
the top of the eastern US as I could conveniently get, and returning
via
Boston and NYC. This year, I'll cover the stretch from Philadelphia
Savannah. Then next year (2006), I hope to go from Key West to
Savannah,
and from there back to Milwaukee via a more southerly and westerly
route
than this year.

Anyway, I took YX Flight 156 from Milwaukee to Philadelphia on Friday
afternoon, the 22nd. I had to check my saddlebag as baggage because I
have
a Swiss army knife along, that wouldn't be allowed on the plane. I
arrived
more or less on time at my son Matt's apartment in Center City
Philadelphia
around 8:30 p.m. He had picked up and tested my bike, which I had
sent
ahead of time via UPS to a Philadelphia bike shop. After visiting
and
dinner, I went to bed around 11:00 pm.

April 23, 2005 (Day 1)(Saturday)

Left at 5:40 a.m. (sunrise was at 6:00 a.m.) and rode 5 hours (79
miles)
before I took a food/beverage stop near Bel Air, Maryland. The
starting
temperature was 49 degrees, rising soon to about 60 degrees. The wind
was
from the south, but rather light. With intermittent light rain, I got
wet.

Route: Miscellaneous Philadelphia streets to 291 by the Airport, then
continued on 291 to Chester, which took me to 13 into Wilmington, then
Newark, Del., then 273 to US 1.

Roads are safe so far, with not too many hills until I reached
Maryland.

I rode in Pennsylvania for 22 miles and Delaware for 23 miles.
Delaware is
the 43rd state in which I have biked.

The spring trees and flowers are in full bloom! Some examples a
flowering crabs, red bud, pink and white dogwoods, and forsythia
bushes.

After lunch in Bel Air, I rode through Baltimore, mostly on US 1,
except
when I lost the route, and continued toward Washington on US #1,
making a
short stop for beverages 10 miles past central Baltimore. I was
confident I'd
get to Washington in time for the 5:30 Mass at the Shrine, but near
Laurel
(mile 124), I got a rear flat from a sharp 1" long nail that
penetrated
right through the Kevlar liner and thick tube.

Fixing it was a chore. My LBS had recently put on a new rim, which
was a
deep "V" and the stem barely fit through it. After several
unsuccessful
efforts, and lost CO2 cartridges, I got it partially filled.

Fortunately, I found a bike shop in Laurel (3 miles ahead) that was
open and
their repairman filled the tire properly. He said I should use a
long
stemmed tube with that rim, but they only stocked it for a narrow
tire. I
bought one and also bought some replacement CO2 cartridges.

Just as I left the shop (about 5:30 p.m.), a thunderstorm broke out,
so I
took cover in a nearby fast food place, where this note was written.
My
plans were to stay tonight with my daughter Margaret, in Washington,
whom I
called and left a status report.

I did eventually make it at 7:30 p.m. to her trailer/apartment at
Catholic
University of America, from which she is to graduate next month.

With mud from 3 states on me, thanks to the rain, Margaret washed my
clothes, which were far beyond benefiting much from a short rinse job
in the
sink (my usual daily practice on these trips). She also went on the
internet and helped me locate a couple alternative on-route churches
and
Mass times for tomorrow morning.

We had Chinese food for dinner and some wine. After dinner, Margaret
went
out with friends, and I went to bed.

Mileage for the day was 143. (22 miles in PA; 23 miles in Delaware;
97
miles in MD; 1 mile in DC)

Old October 15th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

I'd suggest:
* unless you have some specific sight you need to see (some favorite
university? state capital?) there's not much special about the direct
corridor between Phila + NYC. There's some nice riding in there if you have
local knowledge, but otherwise it's not clear to my what the payback is for
picking your way thru various traffic problems (other than to say that you
succeeded in that -- so if that's your main purpose, you know where to go).

I'd suggest instead going further north: like something north from Phila to
around Allentown - Bethlehem (definitely helps to have local knowledge to
get north out of Phila (bike club cue sheets) + thru Allentown-Bethl), then
cross the Delaware River (at somewhere from Philipsburg to Portland /
Columbia) north/northeast into the Paulinskill valley like around Blairstown
NJ, then northeast from there (some pretty farmland) to like around New
Paltz, then south along the west side of the Hudson River to NYC (including
the spectacular Storm King mountain highway).

* northern section of NJ shore has a few sections with nice ocean views
(notably the first mile of the Sandy Hook bike trail), but other long
sections without (e.g. Long Branch to the south end of Sandy Hook the view
is mostly blocked by a sea wall). The northern section can be more fun in
some sections if you go inland half a mile or so and pick your way thru a
variety of pleasant neighborhoods and little lakes -- which is going to take
more time -- so you have to make up your mind if your goal is just to ride
thru in the obvious way and check off the accomplishment, or if you actually
want to experience some of these places more deeply. But anway I have no
idea how to ride between Phila and the middle or southern part of the NJ
shore.

* CT shore is has some pretty seaside riding between Darien + Bridgeport,
but not much between Bridgeport and New London (but lots of sections with
high traffic volume) -- but I'm not saying I have any better alternative.

* southeast RI shore has some pretty riding. (but getting thru or around
Providence could be tricky on a bicycle -- if you want to try something like
that, make sure you know the rules for bicycles or what your alternative to
riding is)

* consider a short visit to Martha's Vineyard island, though I have to agree
with one local that there's more miles of pretty riding in southeast RI.

* if do visit southeast RI, an obvious idea is to then get to Boston by way
of Cape Cod to Provincetown and then the ferry to Boston. Sharon and I found
road bicycling thru Cape Cod kinda over-rated -- lots fewer ocean views than
you'd guess, and the rail trail is not all that interesting (except as an
alternative to a high-traffic road) -- but I have no alternative to suggest.

I know nothing about riding between Phila + DC, other than I don't remember
ever seeing any good reports about it.

Ken

Old October 15th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Great follow-up, Ken. Though I haven't bicycled ALL the areas you
described, I've driven through just about all of them and agree
wholeheartedly about the disappointment a cyclist might face. I do enjoy my
occasional bike rides up the Connecticut coast to Rhode Island, including
the section between Bridgeport and New London, but that may just be a
"personal" thing.

As you said, it all depends on whether this is about bragging rights or
creating a lifetime memory. To me, a mediocre day on a bike still beats a
good day at work or anywhere else...

Tom M www.geocities.com/nyrides

Old October 15th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Rusin

In article ,
Sweet Old Bob wrote:

I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?

I rode from Philly to Nova Scotia a couple of years ago and it
worked great once I got out of Philadelphia. My advice?
Do your Boston-NY-DC trip while avoiding Boston, NY, and DC :-)

(I circled around Philly -- I started to the south of town -- and
passed through the NW section of NJ, heading towards Poughkeepsie NY
and then east through parts of CT, MA, NH, and then finally hitting
the Atlantic Coast again in southern Maine.)

dave
Old October 16th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Oct 15, 2:07*pm, (Dave Rusin) wrote:
In article ,
Sweet Old Bob wrote:

I'm thinking about, not really planning yet a trip for next year
sometime between these three cities, either direction up or down.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a route?

I rode from Philly to Nova Scotia a couple of years ago and it
worked great once I got out of Philadelphia. My advice?
Do your Boston-NY-DC trip while avoiding Boston, NY, and DC :-)

(I circled around Philly -- I started to the south of town -- and
passed through the NW section of NJ, heading towards Poughkeepsie NY
and then east through parts of CT, MA, NH, and then finally hitting
the Atlantic Coast again in southern Maine.)

dave

Not a bad idea. The northbound segment of the trip on which I
reported above avoided NYC and Boston, going from Philadelphia up to
Milford, PA, Middleton, NY, Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck, Windsor Locks,
CT, Springfield, MA and on up US 5 etc. I can provide the details if
requested.