Why don't more ride early evening?

Old October 20th 04, 12:56 AM
Eric Murray

In article ,
gds wrote:

And just to add my observation that motorists seem to be much clamer
in the morning.

Nearly all of my encounters with seafood behind the wheel happen before 9am.

Eric (who rides in the morning so work doesn't interfere with riding)

Old October 25th 04, 10:38 PM
Morgan Fletcher

I ride early evening and also mornings 3-4 times a week. I get most of my
riding during my ~20-mile commute, each way. Riding home from work in June
at 6:30 is delightful. Riding home in January in 6:30 can be nice, but I do
get tired of riding in the dark! It is sometimes hard to leave work, tired,
and throw a leg over a bike. Good lights make my winter commute possible,
and I have a nice quiet route that's half canyon roads and half
suburbia. Most of the suburbia section can be done on bike paths. I'm
pretty lucky that way. My route is Montclair (Oakland, Northern California)
to Walnut Creek and back.

What still surprises me after two years of doing this commute is how few
cyclists I see! I see lots of cars. The majority of bikes I see are in the
first canyon-roads segment of the commute, Oakland-Moraga. There is also a
definite friendliness gradient among the drivers, Oakland - Walnut
Creek. They are much friendlier the nearer I am to Oakland. They're less
friendly as I get to Walnut Creek. I see a lot of wildlife in the
canyons. During the winter the long steady climbs up dark canyon roads and
the sound of rushing water from the nearby streams is perfect for
meditative riding. By the time I get home I've had an hour of quiet time to
just think and ride. (and 1000' of climbing) I like it.

Morgan
--
Morgan Fletcher, US citizen?
Oakland, CA Vote on November 2nd!

Old October 25th 04, 10:38 PM
Morgan Fletcher

[...]

Indy using Mayors' Ride to Celebrate Connectivity, Red Carpet for Don and Robert Cycle America General 0 July 22nd 04 09:00 AM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
3 Gap Ride Report rubic Unicycling 1 October 1st 03 04:08 PM
Lar's 24 hr ride part 2 Cokerhead Unicycling 4 July 18th 03 01:34 AM