Early bicycle apartheid

Old January 24th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Early bicycle apartheid

On Jan 24, 5:05*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

CX rules are also joined by the specific nature of CX courses, which the
UCI also regulates (less controversially, except this year they tried to
outlaw sand pits).

From what I hear, they could make things really challenging by pumping
air up through a sand pit. It's called "fluidized sand." Sort of
quicksand based on air.

That would require _much_ wider tires. Or perhaps a boat.

http://www.scienceontv.com/2008/03/1...luidized-sand/

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 24th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 24, 5:05 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

CX rules are also joined by the specific nature of CX courses, which the
UCI also regulates (less controversially, except this year they tried to
outlaw sand pits).

From what I hear, they could make things really challenging by pumping
air up through a sand pit. It's called "fluidized sand." Sort of
quicksand based on air.

That would require _much_ wider tires. Or perhaps a boat.

http://www.scienceontv.com/2008/03/1...luidized-sand/

Substitute propane for air and add a pilot light to make things really
challenging.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 25th 10, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 24, 5:05 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

CX rules are also joined by the specific nature of CX courses, which the
UCI also regulates (less controversially, except this year they tried to
outlaw sand pits).

From what I hear, they could make things really challenging by pumping
air up through a sand pit. It's called "fluidized sand." Sort of
quicksand based on air.

That would require _much_ wider tires. Or perhaps a boat.

http://www.scienceontv.com/2008/03/1...luidized-sand/

Substitute propane for air and add a pilot light to make things really
challenging.

Yes, I think the Fire Swamp Grand Prix of Cyclocross would be quite
spectator-friendly. Might want to keep the sand trap away from the beer
tent, though.