Bicycle growth.

Old October 4th 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Bicycle growth.

It is funny that people are now turning up in bicycle shops and paying $10,000 for a top of the line bicycle (and everyone around here is driving Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and Buicks.) But advertising my Trek on Craigslist has elicited a request to buy the wheels on it. In quite a tongue in cheek manner I gave the man what I considered a ridiculous price for them but the guy is actually serious. Well, I have another set of deep carbon wheels so it he buys these aluminum wheels, more the better. I also have a set of Campy carbon brake shoes so that braking should be very little disturbed.
Old October 4th 20, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 4 oktober 2020 om 17:27:28 UTC+2 schreef :
It is funny that people are now turning up in bicycle shops and paying $10,000 for a top of the line bicycle (and everyone around here is driving Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and Buicks.) But advertising my Trek on Craigslist has elicited a request to buy the wheels on it. In quite a tongue in cheek manner I gave the man what I considered a ridiculous price for them but the guy is actually serious. Well, I have another set of deep carbon wheels so it he buys these aluminum wheels, more the better. I also have a set of Campy carbon brake shoes so that braking should be very little disturbed.

Personally I would not buy a CF frame from craiglist.

Lou
Old October 4th 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 8:27:28 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
It is funny that people are now turning up in bicycle shops and paying $10,000 for a top of the line bicycle (and everyone around here is driving Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and Buicks.) But advertising my Trek on Craigslist has elicited a request to buy the wheels on it. In quite a tongue in cheek manner I gave the man what I considered a ridiculous price for them but the guy is actually serious. Well, I have another set of deep carbon wheels so it he buys these aluminum wheels, more the better. I also have a set of Campy carbon brake shoes so that braking should be very little disturbed.

He finally realized that he didn't want to spend that much on a set of wheels when he could get carbon wheels for only four times as much. That leaves me with a completely assembled bike for sale. Too bad there are so few people tall enough for it to work for. Well. Let them have at it.
Old October 4th 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 12:01:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 4 oktober 2020 om 17:27:28 UTC+2 schreef :
It is funny that people are now turning up in bicycle shops and paying $10,000 for a top of the line bicycle (and everyone around here is driving Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and Buicks.) But advertising my Trek on Craigslist has elicited a request to buy the wheels on it. In quite a tongue in cheek manner I gave the man what I considered a ridiculous price for them but the guy is actually serious. Well, I have another set of deep carbon wheels so it he buys these aluminum wheels, more the better. I also have a set of Campy carbon brake shoes so that braking should be very little disturbed.

Personally I would not buy a CF frame from craiglist.

I could put it on eBay. Does it change the bike because it costs more that way?
Old October 4th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 4 oktober 2020 om 21:26:38 UTC+2 schreef :
On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 12:01:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 4 oktober 2020 om 17:27:28 UTC+2 schreef :
It is funny that people are now turning up in bicycle shops and paying $10,000 for a top of the line bicycle (and everyone around here is driving Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and Buicks.) But advertising my Trek on Craigslist has elicited a request to buy the wheels on it. In quite a tongue in cheek manner I gave the man what I considered a ridiculous price for them but the guy is actually serious. Well, I have another set of deep carbon wheels so it he buys these aluminum wheels, more the better. I also have a set of Campy carbon brake shoes so that braking should be very little disturbed.

Personally I would not buy a CF frame from craiglist.

I could put it on eBay. Does it change the bike because it costs more that way?

No but that is not the point. People are reluctant to buy high end stuff from people they don't know, without any warranty. I could not sell my Litespeed for a more than reasonable price, but it was sold in the shop while I was there picking up my new bike. Your best chance is to sell it to somebody who knows and trust you.

Lou
Old October 5th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 2:46:52 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

If I were going to buy a used CF frame, I'd have it inspected by our local CF gurus: https://ruckuscomp.com/inspection

My son couldn't sell his rim-brake Emonda and had to part it out. Meanwhile (and this is not a shameless plug), he sold his (my former) disc Roubaix in a few days for more than it was worth, IMO -- although it had some tricked-out wheels on it. He sold it locally on a popular not-Craigslist service in Salt Lake. People will buy CF frames, but they have to be the right ones.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 5th 20, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 5 oktober 2020 om 03:20:36 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

If you like it or not it is true that nowadays a road bike with disk brakes is much easier to sell than a bike with rim brakes.

Lou
Old October 6th 20, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 08:05:42 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've noticed that more and more the cheap bikes sold in
department stores like Walmart, Tesco, etc., tend to have disc brakes.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 6th 20, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 2:46:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I considered what you had to say about high end bikes on Craig's list and have offered to sell it to Pro's Closet. If they have anything reasonable I will sell it to them. Otherwise I'll put it up on eBay. Plainly, Craigslist is going to take far too long to sell it on.