How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Old January 14th 09, 07:36 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

" wrote:

My facemask is the arm of a
cotton polyester long sleeved shirt.

Question.... how does that fit over the head?
Old January 15th 09, 12:40 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 14, 11:36*am, wrote:
" wrote:
My facemask is the arm of a
cotton polyester long sleeved shirt.

Question.... how does that fit over the head? *

I should have said t-shirt. I had a cotton polyester turtleneck. More
polyester than cotton. I cut the sleeves off and made a couple of ear
covers with one sleeve and a balaclava sort of contraption with the
other sleeve. I wear one or the the other ear cover all the time under
the helmet. It protects me into the 30s and I can wear it up to the
60s without overheating. My ears ache below 55 degrees but a fleece
ear cover was too hot and I would overheat. I started using a piece of
sleeve and it worked wonders and keeps me warm into the 30s. I usually
combine it with a face mask that covers mouth, nose, part of ears and
velcros behind my head. As soon as I warm up I remove the face mask
but keep the ear covers on for the whole ride.

I had bought some cheap arm warmers a long time ago, but wouldn't fit
me. I had cut legs from some tights that I would use as leg warmers. I
put them on my arms and covered them just fine and were not tight. So,
they became my arm warmers. I bought another pair of cheap supplex
tights at target for $10.00, cut the legs off and they became my leg
warmers.

I get lots of grief from my friends but I ride very comfortably. I
have tried a number of balaclavas in stores and they all seem tight,
itchy and thick. The only one that seems to be warm, yet light and not
to tight is the Craft brand one, but it is expensive. I am still
considering it.
Old January 15th 09, 01:05 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:36 am, wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

I cut a strip of light stretch fleece and wear it like a headband, but
lower, covering my cheekbones and nose. My balaclava covers my forehead
and chin, so the only thing exposed is my mouth and eyes. Works well
when temps are in the teens and below. The balaclava I like is a Campmor
cheapie, about the weight of T-shirt material -- all I ever need.
Old January 15th 09, 03:06 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

In '70, one could buy a decent bicycle for $20 - $30 at a hardware
store. I paid $48.33 in '68 for my '66 Schwinn equipped with a Bendix
kickback and that was considered extravagant. In '70, I was in
Vietnam, so I didn't have a bicycle; however, in '72, I was driving a
cab and considered 40 bucks to be a decent night's book... I probably
averaged $30 to $35.

I was in Georgetown, DC in October doing a little urban hiking...
granted, that's a pricey neighborhood. We walked by a bike shop and
their window display bike had a $22K price tag!!! Sheeze! That's
more than I paid for my first *house*! It's even a fairly large part
of it when adjusted for inflation.

When you put multiple thousands of dollars into a bicycle, what you
have is a fetish, not transportation.

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 03:17 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:42:23 +0000, in alt.war.vietnam Peter Clinch
wrote:

The bar end shifters on my touring bike, and my wife's, can have the
indexing turned off just with a twist of a D-ring on the side. That
turns them into a pure friction shifter. I'm fairly sure these are
still available.

We have a set of what are sometimes called "rapid fire" shifters on
one of our tandems... their name escapes me and I'm at the office, so
I can't go look; however, they're Shimano mid - to - good "mountain
bike" shifters where you have two levers... one for up and another for
down. I'd dearly love to turn that indexing stuff off on the front
shifter. It doesn't help any and prevents me from fine tuning the
cage when it rubs on slight cross chaining.

I'm looking for a decent set of friction shifters on eBay. The rear
is getting slightly worn and the damn things look as complicated as an
analog watch.

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:59:12 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam The Troll
Feeder wrote:

On Jan 13, 2:34*pm, !Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my

Your trolls suck. Practice elsewhere, n00b.

I got a reply from *you*... you even cross-posted it.

If you reply, then don't whine.

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 03:23 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:30:56 -0600, in alt.war.vietnam "BobT"
wrote:

I wear bike shorts because I want to look like this incredibly macho man,
perhaps the greatest cyclist of all time:

Actually, that makes sense!

I wish I could get a J-strap that had Velcro (hook and pile) closures
on it so that I could get into and out of it easily without undressing
completely.

Maybe there's an invention here?

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:50:03 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam
" wrote:

If you need to go commute by bike, you can wear street clothes and
you'll be fine. However, even though I pretty much hate cycling
clothes, they are more comfortable and practical for riding.

I recall back in the early '80s, there was a line of clothing that
looked a lot like "normal" clothes with accomodation for cycling.
They had a shoe that worked reasonably well in a pedal and in which it
was possible to walk a short distance comfortably. I forget the name;
however, Nashbar sold them when BN was in a newsprint format.

I didn't say that bicycle clothing wasn't practical; I said that it
always seems to look so damn silly. I suspect that the manufacturers
go out of their way to make it thus!

I agree with you that any dedicated clothing is out of place in an
office environment; imagine walking in wearing a SCUBA outfit... but,
if cycles are to become a viable form of daily transportation, then
reasonable clothing will have to develop.

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 03:43 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:22:33 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam bluezfolk
wrote:

There's no law that says you can't wear whatever you want.

There is where I live. We even have a bicycle helmet law! The
interesting part is that we don't have one for motorcycles.

Jones

Old January 15th 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

"!Jones' Sock Puppet" wrote in message

I agree with you that any dedicated clothing is out of place in an
office environment; imagine walking in wearing a SCUBA outfit... but,
if cycles are to become a viable form of daily transportation, then
reasonable clothing will have to develop.

Already has - go to most clothing shops. See what people wear in places
where they do use a bike for daily transport - it's nothing special.

Re expensive bikes - your 22K bike example is about as relevant as a Ferrari
showroom. There's always the market for those who want to spend silly money,
but that doesn't make that the going rate. Walmart will flog you some cheap
equivalent of your $20-$30 bikes now.

Re friction shifters - thumb shifters still exist in various forms. OTOH
what I've done for the LH (front) shifter on our MTB tandem is gone to SRAM
grip-shift. 9 positions gives me the trimming you desire. (make sure you get
one which has all the positions, not just three).
However for the rear shifter, indexing isn't a problem IME.