Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 13th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 12, 12:48 am, "Jack May" wrote:

Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
The
result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
increased pollution and green house gases.
:-) Hilarious!

In other words you are far too retarded to understand that spending two
thirds of the transportation dollars to carry 5% of the travel is a major
problem.

Gee, so the government is now subsidizing all the costs of private motor
vehicles? What about non-motorized private vehicles? Where do I sign up to
have the government buy me a new bicycle?

I said nothing like that and you know it.

Old April 13th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Default Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race!

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Pat, an apparent member of the puny human species, wrote:

Billions are being spent by extremely rich, extremely smart people that
think you are wrong.

They are not extremely smart, just cunning, ruthless and greedy.

Obviously you are just ****ed because you are not remotely good enough to
make much money.

Its a political decision. You only have to have Congress members get
stuck in the cold and dark with no transportation to change the laws.

Congress can change the laws of nature? Wow!

So Tom has no clue about Congress responding when problem personally affect
them. Obviously Tom is totally out of touch with reality

Old April 13th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban
Eric Vey

Default Does ANYTHING put Jack May on a collision course with the truth?

Pat wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:22 am, Eric Vey wrote:
Pat wrote:
Then we have a lot of dirt highways around here. All dirt roads
around here are unposted and therefore 55 mph.

Not 55.

http://www.shaftsbury.net/Selectmin/2005/08222005.htm

. . .

8. Speed Ordinance:

Metcalfe reported that state law sets a 50 mph. speed limit on unposted,
unpaved roads. Daniels Road resident Deb Sanders reported that the state
police had confirmed this, and expressed her concern about speeding
vehicles on the road.

. . .

I live in NY where the speed limit is 55.

That is NY law. You don't know your own state's laws, but you lecture
people about how things ought to be everywhere else.

You and Jack are two of a kind. Both of you live in unusual places, but
you both look around and project what you see on the rest of the
country. Living in a dying part of the country and 3 blocks from a huge
university are not usual places.

I KNOW I live in an unusual place, but I have traveled enough to know that.
Old April 13th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:17 -0700, "Jack May"
wrote:

Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
The
result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
increased pollution and green house gases.
That's so stupid, my head exploded.
The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5%
of the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems,
then you are worthless as a person.

5% of ALL funds (which would include all expenditures on privately owned
motor vehicles) or 5% of public funds?

Its somewhere on the MTC site. The MTC is the top transportation agency
that manages all the Government funds for the SF Bay area. Their funding
includes roads and transit.

Either way, have a citation for that figure? Does it include the cost of
maintaining roads used by privately owned vehicles? What about the cost to
other departments such as law enforcement for patrolling public roads,
etc?

Since when has Government managed private spending? Law enforcement is a
profit center for Government with all those tickets.

Sheesh! What is important is the total expenditure on transportation,
not merely what a regional government agency spends.

When the costs of private vehicle operation are considered, transit
spending is a drop in the bucket.

Old April 13th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 12, 12:48 am, "Jack May" wrote:
Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
The
result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
increased pollution and green house gases.
:-) Hilarious!

In other words you are far too retarded to understand that spending two
thirds of the transportation dollars to carry 5% of the travel is a major
problem.

Gee, so the government is now subsidizing all the costs of private motor
vehicles? What about non-motorized private vehicles? Where do I sign up to
have the government buy me a new bicycle?

I said nothing like that and you know it.

No, you were implying that transit spending is much higher than that of
individualized private motorized transport, which is silly when total
expenditures are compared.

Old April 13th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Pat, an apparent member of the puny human species, wrote:
Billions are being spent by extremely rich, extremely smart people that
think you are wrong.

They are not extremely smart, just cunning, ruthless and greedy.

Obviously you are just ****ed because you are not remotely good enough to
make much money.

Show me justification on how one person can contribute millions of more
times to the betterment of society that other simply by running a for
profit business.

Its a political decision. You only have to have Congress members get
stuck in the cold and dark with no transportation to change the laws.

Congress can change the laws of nature? Wow!

So Tom has no clue about Congress responding when problem personally affect
them. Obviously Tom is totally out of touch with reality

Congress does not have the power to overcome reality. Duh!

Old April 13th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat Who? wrote:
On Apr 13, 5:26 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat Who? wrote:
On Apr 12, 8:58 pm, Eric Vey wrote:
Bill Z. wrote:
vey writes:
Jens Müller wrote:
Eric Vey schrieb:
Yes he seems to refer to road and highway interchangeably.
At least, I do that.
I know no better translation for the German _legal_ term "Straße".
I don't either, but by observation a Straße is a street found in a
city or town. Here streets have pretty low speed limits, just like
Straßes have. Usually 45KPH or below.
The word Straße simply means "street", regardless of where it is
located. High-speed, limited access roadways in Germany are called
Autobahnen (Autobahn is the singular form of the word).
Translating Straße as a legal term meaning "road/highway" in English
is just fine.
Your observation is probably the result of there being far more streets
in cities and towns (and there is a convention of tagging "straße" onto
the end of a word to name a street, so you'll see a lot of signs in towns
with that word on it).
Pat has no disadvantage when it comes to language. He continues to
confuse by referring to interstates as highways and makes arguments
around that confusion.- Hide quoted text -
Well, if one were to accept your definitions as gospel:
A "road" here usually connects cities or towns, and usually has a
higher
speed limit, 30-45 MPH. A highway is a road with a higher speed limit
45-55 MPH.
Then we have a lot of dirt highways around here. All dirt roads
around here are unposted and therefore 55 mph. Gee, and I always
thought they were dirt roads. Come around here and refer to something
as a "Dirt Highway" and you'll have a lot of people giggling.
As for a road having a "higher speed limit, 30-45", higher than what?
There aren't any lower speed limits lower than 30 around here except
the occational school zone.
Around here, according to your definition, we have lots and lots of
highways that aren't striped, aren't paved, some are seasonal, and a
few aren't wide enough for two cars to go past each other except
slowing to a crawl.
That ain't how we define things around here.
Dirt highways. Who'd have thunk it. But they meet your definition.
Sort of makes you think....
Around here, a road is something a town or county maintains and the
signs all say "XYZ Road".
A street is something a village or city maintains and, by coincidence,
they are all named "Something Street".
What the state maintains mostly are what we call "routes" such as
"Route 219". More rural ones might also be called a road. State
routes don't have conventional names, just numbers. If you call 911,
you identify yourself as being on "Route XYZ"
Expressways are limited access. Highways can be limited access or at
least have some restrictions on access. They tend to be posted at 65
in NY and higher in other areas. Highways and expressways tend to be
numbered but some also carry names (the Thruway). If they carry
names, the tend to be "The Name" or even "The Number". Albany has
"The 787, The Thruway and The Northway". Rochester has "The 590" and
"The 490". Buffalo has "The Youngman and The Kensington". (Non-
expressways are just Route 219 or 219 or whatever). One
distinguishing characteristic of a highway or expressway is that they
don't have traffic control devices -- no traffic lights or stop sign.
Entering traffic must merge in.
Parkways are highway-ish but without shoulders, for no apparent
reason. But that's changed a bit in recent years because they are
otherwise so dangerous.
A Quickway is a highway that goes from Harriman NY to Binghamton NY.
Just a bizarre name.
There are city streets, surface streets, and side streets.
There are country roads (don't even start humming John Denver here)
and dirt roads and farm-to-market roads.
Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

The people who should know - those who actually design and administrate
public roads - have a different definition of highway than Pat does.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

As I said, dirt highways. Cool concept. Come on over and we'll go to
a diner and discuss it. It would be fun. People will laugh their
a**es off.

Dirt highways ... what a concept.

I never said anything about dirt highways - what do you mean?

Plenty of two-lane, PAVED, county and state highways (marked as such, no
less) in the US. Duh!

Old April 13th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Z.

"Jack May" writes:

"Bill Z." wrote in message
"Jack May" writes:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 11:43 am, Eric Vey wrote:

.

Is Jack May a bot created by "Detroit"?

I am a Silicon Valley engineer that lives in the real world. You
apparently
have no concept of the real world.

Care to explain what sort of engineering you actually do if any? Based
on previous posts, I thought you claimed to be a manager or some sort.

I am a project manager on high tech projects. I also work on those same
projects as I am generally considered extremely creative and technically
sophisticated. My main work these days is developing how to build antennas
and optics that are not diffraction limited.

I.e., you are not working as an engineer.

I developed how to remove the diffraction limit with meta-structures of
meta-materials (like negative refractive index materials) funded by the NRO
Director's Innovation Initiative and another intelligence community research
organization.

Project managers typically do not develop anything.

The improvements in resolution and associated gain of two or more orders of
magnitude higher than traditional antennas and optics. Is that technical
enough for you? Just waiting for the Nobel Prize call :-)

Don't hold your breath. On second thought, please do hold your breath. :-)

I also come up with the new ideas, write the proposals, win the contracts
with heavy competition, manage the project and their finances, work on them,
brief the customers, write the reports. All that requires a very heavy dose
of reality working with very sophisticated engineers. I am now starting a
company.

I.e., you are not working as an engineer (which is what you claimed in your

My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old April 13th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

Tom Sherman schrieb:
Its a political decision. You only have to have Congress members
get stuck in the cold and dark with no transportation to change the
laws.

Congress can change the laws of nature? Wow!

So Tom has no clue about Congress responding when problem personally
affect them. Obviously Tom is totally out of touch with reality

Congress does not have the power to overcome reality. Duh!

Congress has any power necessary and proper for carrying into Execution
the other powers of government. Overcoming reality might become
necessary, but is probably not proper ...
Old April 13th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jens Müller wrote:
Tom Sherman schrieb:
Its a political decision. You only have to have Congress members
get stuck in the cold and dark with no transportation to change the
laws.

Congress can change the laws of nature? Wow!

So Tom has no clue about Congress responding when problem personally
affect them. Obviously Tom is totally out of touch with reality

Congress does not have the power to overcome reality. Duh!

Congress has any power necessary and proper for carrying into Execution
the other powers of government. Overcoming reality might become
necessary, but is probably not proper ...

And who said people from a certain European country were incapable of
comedy?

Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can
overcome any problem through technological development. That is foolish
hubris, since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be
amusing to observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological
limits of what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Another bike in collision with a car... wafflycat UK 34 December 31st 05 03:50 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM