Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...)

Old April 21st 04, 05:15 PM
Lobo Tommy

Default Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...)

I am doing some research and have compiled my final questions. If you
can shed some light I would be greatly appreciated.

1. Coaster Brakes - These are available on the SRAM7/Shimano Internal
hubs. Do these require any maintenance? How long do they last? For
general parks/bike paths with very few big hills would a coaster brake
be enough?

2. Drum Brakes - Similiar questions related to the Internal Hubs. Do
these require any maintenance and how long do they last?

3. I've noticed that once people ride both the Shimano Nexus 7
Internal Hub and the S-RAM7 Internal Hub it's a no contest and people
prefer the SRAM. The SRAM as people describe it feels more efficient
and rear wheel removal seems easier (I imagine with a coaster brake
the SRAM would be the easiest internal hub to remove the rear wheel.)
Is their anything at all that makes the Nexus7 seem better? More
reliable?

4. If the SRAM7 is the preferred internal hub, why is everyone (trek,
electra, reliegh, van dessel, etc) using the Nexus7? The only bike
company I've found who uses the SRAM7 is Burly (Simple 7).

5. Besides cost obviously (and my guess is also weight) - are their
any advantages of a 3 speed hub over a 7 speed?
Old April 21st 04, 05:58 PM
David Damerell

Lobo Tommy wrote:
1. Coaster Brakes - These are available on the SRAM7/Shimano Internal
hubs. Do these require any maintenance? How long do they last? For
general parks/bike paths with very few big hills would a coaster brake
be enough?

Coaster brakes are low maintenance, but a little odd until you get used to
them. It takes a good coaster brake to be able to lock the rear wheel;
and, while you should be using the front brake as a primary brake, you
want the rear brake to work as well as it can when the front brake is
unavailable.

3. I've noticed that once people ride both the Shimano Nexus 7
Internal Hub and the S-RAM7 Internal Hub it's a no contest and people
prefer the SRAM. The SRAM as people describe it feels more efficient
and rear wheel removal seems easier.

The SRAM is also wider ranged, but there is a new eight-speed Shimano hub
gear with a wider range than the Nexus 7.

4. If the SRAM7 is the preferred internal hub, why is everyone (trek,
electra, reliegh, van dessel, etc) using the Nexus7?

Much cheaper in bulk?
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Old April 21st 04, 07:16 PM
Sheldon Brown

Lobo Tommy wrote:

1. Coaster Brakes - These are available on the SRAM7/Shimano Internal
hubs. Do these require any maintenance?

Very little unless you're a high mileage rider, or you ride in big
mountains.

How long do they last?

Pretty long.

For general parks/bike paths with very few big hills would a coaster

brake
be enough?

You should also have a front hand brake...don't put all of your eggs in
one basket!

Coaster brakes make it very awkward to start up, because you can't
easily rotate the cranks to a good starting position.

2. Drum Brakes - Similiar questions related to the Internal Hubs. Do
these require any maintenance and how long do they last?

Durability is similar.

3. I've noticed that once people ride both the Shimano Nexus 7
Internal Hub and the S-RAM7 Internal Hub it's a no contest and people
prefer the SRAM.

Not everybody does. I would prefer the SRAM for hilly terrain, because
it has a wider range of gears, but I'd prefer the Shimano for
flatter/rolling terrain because the gears are spaced closer together.

Wheel changes are easier on the SRAM, but the shift linkage at the rear
axle is much less vulnerable to damage on the Shimano.

I also like the Shimano RapidFire shifter better than a twist grip.

4. If the SRAM7 is the preferred internal hub,

Again, not necessarily so.

why is everyone (trek,
electra, reliegh, van dessel, etc) using the Nexus7? The only bike
company I've found who uses the SRAM7 is Burly (Simple 7).

These bikes are all made in Asia, so it shouldn't be surprising that
they favor Asian parts.

5. Besides cost obviously (and my guess is also weight) - are their
any advantages of a 3 speed hub over a 7 speed?

Nope.

Sheldon "Neck's Us" Brown
| I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because |
| if I liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it. |
| --Clarence Darrow |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Werehatrack

On 21 Apr 2004 09:15:56 -0700, (Lobo Tommy) may have
said:

I am doing some research and have compiled my final questions. If you
can shed some light I would be greatly appreciated.

1. Coaster Brakes - These are available on the SRAM7/Shimano Internal
hubs. Do these require any maintenance?

No, in the majority of instances.

How long do they last?

It is unlikely that you would wear one out in many years of riding.

For
general parks/bike paths with very few big hills would a coaster brake
be enough?

In my personal opinion, coaster brakes are not acceptable as the sole
brake on a bike. With the addition of a good front brake (V-, canti,
centerpull, whatever) they can be tolerable, but I still don't
recommend relying on them if there's a choice. On the other hand,
millions of people have ridden with nothing but a coaster brake for
many thousands of miles. Your experience, needs and preferences may
vary.

2. Drum Brakes - Similiar questions related to the Internal Hubs. Do
these require any maintenance and how long do they last?

Little maintenance, last a long time, but some are not terribly
effective. Parts may be a challenge to find when (if) you need them.

3. I've noticed that once people ride both the Shimano Nexus 7
Internal Hub and the S-RAM7 Internal Hub it's a no contest and people
prefer the SRAM. The SRAM as people describe it feels more efficient
and rear wheel removal seems easier (I imagine with a coaster brake
the SRAM would be the easiest internal hub to remove the rear wheel.)
Is their anything at all that makes the Nexus7 seem better? More
reliable?

In my opinion, a non-coaster non-drum rear wheel is easier to remove,
period. There's at least one less fastener to deal with. I'd much
rather unhook a handbrake cable than undo a coaster brake clamp.

4. If the SRAM7 is the preferred internal hub, why is everyone (trek,
electra, reliegh, van dessel, etc) using the Nexus7? The only bike
company I've found who uses the SRAM7 is Burly (Simple 7).

I have no hard facts. It may be a matter of cost, or a matter of
choice to single-source drivetrain components as much as possible.

5. Besides cost obviously (and my guess is also weight) - are their
any advantages of a 3 speed hub over a 7 speed?

Well, if you like having a bigger jump between ratios, and fewer
ratios available, I guess those would count as an advantage.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:24 AM
Chalo

(Lobo Tommy) wrote:

1. Coaster Brakes - These are available on the SRAM7/Shimano Internal
hubs. Do these require any maintenance?

No more than the rest of the hub, which is to say almost none.

How long do they last?

Long. Longer than really matters in any sort of comparison. I have
never seen any coaster brake so worn that it couldn't be rebuilt with
a few replacement parts, and I've seen a lot of them.

For general parks/bike paths with very few big hills would a coaster
brake be enough?

If you use a front brake, definitely yes. I would only consider a
coaster brake alone for terrain that was basically flat. Of course, I
see plenty of brakeless fixed-gear bikes scooting around hilly
Seattle, so obviously it's a matter of personal judgment.

I do not believe that coaster brakes give up any usable braking power
vs. other rear brakes. So you can use one by itself wherever
rear-only braking is feasible.

2. Drum Brakes - Similiar questions related to the Internal Hubs. Do
these require any maintenance and how long do they last?

They require periodic adjustment, but no more than rim brakes (and the
adjustment is easier). They last a long time. I've never seen a drum
brake used so long that it required new shoes, but they are available
if you need them. (in the case of the Shimano roller brake, the
entire unit is replaced.)

Is their anything at all that makes the Nexus7 seem better? More
reliable?

They are more common than other multi-speed gearhubs, so experienced
service may be easier to find in the rare instance when you need
service. They mount the shift cable inboard of the dropout, so they
are more resistant to impact damage and make for a cleaner-looking
installation. These reasons are not enough for me to prefer them
overall, but they are advantages.

4. If the SRAM7 is the preferred internal hub, why is everyone (trek,
electra, reliegh, van dessel, etc) using the Nexus7?

Shimano are well-known to provide OEM (manufacturer) pricing that
makes other options difficult to consider. As an aftermarket buyer,
you would not have this reason to use a Shimano hub.

5. Besides cost obviously (and my guess is also weight) - are their
any advantages of a 3 speed hub over a 7 speed?

3-speed hubs are more efficient than 5- or 7-speed hubs, having only
one set of epicyclic gears. The Sachs/SRAM Torpedo 3 speed in
particular is at least as efficient as a derailleur system. But ya
only get three....

Chalo Colina
Old April 23rd 04, 02:42 AM
A Muzi

Lobo Tommy wrote:

[...]

We build lots of SRAM Seven wheels here and yes, riders
seem to like those better generally.
CB are virtually maintenance free under normal conditions-
We haven't seen anything wanting in ten years . So far so good.
Some riders (me) find the CB's inability to backpedal at a
stoplight annoying.
Cable routing is low on the bike for both the Seven control
and the drum brake cable. Some riders ( you know who you are
- always riding in the curb and in the slush and slop at the
side of the road) need to pay attention to cable
lubrication. Given enough salt, even low grade stainless
wires will swell with oxidation. We have exactly one
customer with that problem who gets new cables every couple
of years.

Shimano trade practices "You put Record on your race bikes
and you'll never see another XT derailleur'. Larger forces
are at work here.

Three speeds are cheaper than seven speeds. If you can swing
a SRAM Seven wheel for your bike, get it over a three
speed. About $70 more for the hub with controls. A built
Seven wheel runs about $315 with controls and sprocket. Add
$30 for either brake.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org