Home Brew Double Wall Tube Project

Old April 16th 11, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

Default Home Brew Double Wall Tube Project

If you have a couple of old similar inner tubes with holes but few
patches this project could set you back a couple of hours but nothing
in the way of money and it has _some_ potential of making more money
than any other possible improvement in cycling.

Let's face reality: The reason most bicycles sit in a garage after 2
weeks of use is because a tire went down.

The theory which has yet to be proven to hold air is that one thin
wall tube inserted inside of another thin wall tube with a sealant in
between, might get a puncture in both tubes but the relative positions
of the tubes would shift enough on re inflation or even partial
deflation to offset the holes.

Very little slime or other knee destroying mass near the rim would be
necessary for it to hold air.

Cut the stem off one tube and slice each tube 60 degrees to 150
degrees off the other and the tire should hold the mess together.

I gave it the ol' college try but my tubes have too many patches.

Bret Cahill

Old April 16th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

most punctures are through the tread, bramble thorns and the like, fitting a
slime liner seems to stop all those happening, which must be better than
trying to seal one after it happens, especially since 9 times out of ten the
puncturing object remains in the tyre to aggravate the wound.

Old April 16th 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

[...]

Good points, however, the goal here is to scoot across an intersection
with knees intact, in other words, with as little mass near the rim as
possible.

Conventional applications of slime seem to work pretty well with a lot
of thorns still in the tire. It seems that I always find a half dozen
or so when a leak is bad enough to justify a patch or new tube.

Maybe if the slime was a 90% gas foam . . .

Bret Cahill

Old April 16th 11, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

I did not mean the slime tubes, but the slime liner, it is very light and
goes between the tube and the tyre, it is a hard but flexible plastic that
is nearly impossible to get a puncturing object through. I have not had a
puncture on any tyre with one fitted. There are other types too, I have put
a carbon fibre version in some scooter tyres, that seems good too.

Old April 16th 11, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

[...]

I always wondered why steel couldn't be made to work, not fiber or
cloth but 0.01" thick bands or sheets.

Bret Cahill

Old April 16th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

maybe the sharpness of the edges and deformation after a thump up a kerb?

Old April 16th 11, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

[...]

Maybe it shouldn't be too surprising but tire manufacturers don't seem
to be falling over themselves to stop flats.

It's doesn't take many pot holes to damage the sidewall of an under
inflated tire and then you need to buy another tire even though the
original problem was a leaking tube.

Bret Cahill

Old April 16th 11, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Apr 16, 6:46*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

Why not add yourself to the list, probably in its thousands, of people
enthusiastic enough to patent such a device. It seems the patent
office is all too eager to take your money despite the lack of
novelty.

If you wish to use a steel band tyre, then that is what you have and
not a pnuematic tyre. A steel band does not have the required
flexibilty to match the movement of a pnuematic tyr's carcass in use.
Any rubber tread will wear quickly and probaly delaminate. The
resulting tyre will not only have a short life but be a poor performer
as well.
Old April 17th 11, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old April 17th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:20:45 +0100
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

You say. Actually I think that most of the tyres made in the world
contain steel.

Not bicycle tyres using steel as a tread band, though. The use of steel
belted radials on motor vehicles is a different matter, as is the steel
bead wire used in many tyres.

home brew goo, anyone ever? Michael Baldwin Racing 12 March 10th 08 01:44 AM
home brew goo, anyone ever? Michael Baldwin Racing 1 March 9th 08 03:52 PM
Home-brew lighting and dynamo fans - Free stuff Richard Bates UK 0 November 23rd 06 09:41 AM
Home Brew Workstand? Doki UK 17 January 9th 06 08:59 AM
Any Home-Brew lighting fans there? Richard Bates UK 10 February 24th 05 04:05 PM