Another nasty holiday season on RBT

Old January 26th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Another nasty holiday season on RBT

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:36:49 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Fortran - that's another language I was happy to forget. Hearing News or
Zen talking about these programs as if they were simple to understand
reminds me that Software Engineers often make light of having to spend
months troubleshooting a tiny little problem because these programs with
all of their updates and fixes made these programs completely
unreadable.

Funny, I had no problems doing that. You did update the code and
recompile didn't you. You did include copious comments in your code?
Shrug, I was writing humungous fluid dynamics programs in fortran in the
70's without problems.

Old January 26th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:20:17 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:30:23 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:13:58 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 11:36:14 AM UTC-8, news18 wrote:

Going back, there were plenty variations of memory chips. At one
stage,
that was how hardware received "code" updates. Using such shouldn't
have been an issue for Tommies Million dollar plus project.

You with your Cobol who doesn't seem to know that all of those cobol
systems were replaced by full systems written by Oracle and the like,

I hate to bust your bubble, but I know about the rollout of DBMS and if
I was to follow your method I'd be squarking how now one else in a
state government department could make the CASE data dictionary work in
a distributed way so it worked throughout the state. I was just told it
needed to be installed and set up and went on my merry way to the shock
of the Oracle guy who later turned up, expecting to have to do it all
and who only had to do the fine tuning. Shrug, it was just par for the
course when I used my skills.

Have another go and before you do, brush your teeth, It might make you
appear a bit more intelligent;
https://www.newscientist.com/article...lly-know-what-
causes-alzheimers-and-how-to-stop-it/

Believe or not I'm absolutely no impressed with software engineers.
Neither am I impressed with someone that doesn't do what I do telling me
I don't know what I'm doing. That simply reflects on your own
judgements.

Lol, when there is a pay packet involved, I don't waste my time either.
Far easier to leave them stew in their own juice. AFAIK,most of them are
still wage slaving.

Old January 26th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/25/2019 8:43 PM, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:36:49 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Fortran - that's another language I was happy to forget. Hearing News or
Zen talking about these programs as if they were simple to understand
reminds me that Software Engineers often make light of having to spend
months troubleshooting a tiny little problem because these programs with
all of their updates and fixes made these programs completely
unreadable.

Funny, I had no problems doing that. You did update the code and
recompile didn't you. You did include copious comments in your code?
Shrug, I was writing humungous fluid dynamics programs in fortran in the
70's without problems.

My Fortran projects had to do with rolling mill dynamics. Yes, I
included lots of comments.

As mentioned, one project I had in the 1990s involved programming Adept
robotic workcells. The main job was to learn what the hell previous
programmers had done, as it was indecipherable spaghetti code to most
engineers in the plant. It took me a couple months to learn the language
(Val II) and straighten everything out, and that was (as a guess) only a
couple thousand lines of code.

But in the end, comments abounded, screen messages abounded, error
conditions were all properly telegraphed to operators, etc. I also wrote
manuals with three different levels, to help problem solving by the
operators, then the electronic techs, then the plant engineers.

I've always been a big fan of documentation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 27th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 5:12:03 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 12:11:00 PM UTC-8, Mike A Schwab wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Evans

Mt. Evans has a road to near the summit with a very short hike to the summit.

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:26:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 8:43:46 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5:31:41 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
For Heaven's sake! Tom is an old man, who is in ill health and suffers
from brain damage. The thought that he is going to beat anyone up is
just another one of his fantasies, like flying around in the bomb bay
of airplanes at 5,000 feet over Vietnam.

And yet that is what happened. But then since you've done so little you wouldn't understand that life is strange and wonderful. The tail gunner in a B52D is actually in the tail. The way to get from the back pressurized compartment to the front is via a very narrow 6" wide shelf. The only way to do this is to put one knee in front of the other and scoot along while holding yourself on the shelf by slipping two fingers per hand between the gap in the vertical and horizontal ribs of the aircraft. On the ground this is scary since you're at least 10' above the bottom of the bomb bays. Because of the curvature of the hull you have to lean your body out over the bays so not many people would do that.

The A/C asked me to go to the gunner's position to find out what the heck was wrong with him since he sounded like he was going nuts. It turned out to be nothing since he was just watching the SAMs bursting around us.

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious.

Funny that I've done it at least six times on a bicycle. Is it when you
don't have a bicycle handy that you lose consciousness?

Mark J.

If you live at altitude you can adapt to as high as 20,000 feet. But aircraft are pressurized at altitudes above 10,000. So movements between the pressurized compartments had to occur below that altitude.

I would be interested in knowing where you found a mountain in the USA above 10,000 that had a road to the top. While there are a lot of 10,000 ft high mountains in the USA the only one I can think of with a road above 10,000 ft is Pike's Peak. That's a little over 14,000 and the annual bike ride normally has a lot of people dropping out on the verge of fainting for lack of O2. The timberline is at something like 12,000 feet and the base where you start is something like 7,000 ft. There used to be a "cog train" that went to the top and bicyclists would take the train to the top and ride down. I was a year in Denver with is down around 5,200 ft and they still had people growing faint there.

If a tree can't grow above 12,000 ft what would make you think that you could crawl through the bomb bays of a aircraft at 10,000 feet safely?

"Mountain medicine recognizes three altitude regions that reflect the lowered amount of oxygen in the atmosphe

High altitude = 1,500–3,500 metres (4,900–11,500 ft)
Very high altitude = 3,500–5,500 metres (11,500–18,000 ft)
Extreme altitude = above 5,500 metres (18,000 ft)

Travel to each of these altitude regions can lead to medical problems, from the mild symptoms of acute mountain sickness to the potentially fatal high-altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) and high-altitude cerebral edema (HACE). The higher the altitude, the greater the risk. Research also indicates elevated risk of permanent brain damage in people climbing to extreme altitudes.[11] Expedition doctors commonly stock a supply of dexamethasone, or "dex," to treat these conditions on site.

Humans have survived for two years at 5,950 m (19,520 ft, 475 millibars of atmospheric pressure), which is the highest recorded permanently tolerable altitude; the highest permanent settlement known, La Rinconada, is at 5,100 m (16,700 ft).

At extreme altitudes, above 7,500 m (24,600 ft, 383 millibars of atmospheric pressure), sleeping becomes very difficult, digesting food is near-impossible, and the risk of HAPE or HACE increases greatly."

The FAA regulations that last time I heard limited cabin pressure to partial pressures in commercial aircraft to never be lower than that of 8,000 ft.

Since this is lower pressure that is recommended by many medical authorities since it can harm infants, pregnant women and anyone with cardio vascular problems commercial aircraft tend to keep the effective altitude in the cabin below 5,000 ft.

But everyone on you seems to think that you are supermen and haven't the least problem with riding a bike or even hiking above those altitudes.

Well, I did the Death Ride several times and the max altitude of that is almost 9,000 ft. There is a reason they call it the death ride and there is a reason that they have so many drop outs and it isn't because of the distance.

It's because of the distance, elevation and heat. BTW, I did a few Death Rides including "Death Ride the 13th" way back in '92 (?) (13th year it ran) and that was six passes -- or six and a half. You went down the back of Ebbetts, half way up Pacific Grade -- which is a ridiculous 20% climb. It's like the road is in your face. Then you turn around and go up the back of Ebbetts and down. Then you go do Hope Valley, Luther and Carson. Monitor/Monitor/Ebbets/Pacific Grade/Ebbets/Luther/Carson. That's a hell of a ride. The Sierra passes are awesome -- or they were when I was younger. Now I'd probably die on the Death Ride. Coming from sea level, the altitude was an issue, but the heat was what killed me. PDX generally isn't that hot. As an aside, its easy to underestimate the climb up to Hope Valley to get to Luther and Carson -- you really have to climb to climb.

To this day, my wife agonizes over riding four passes and not five. She was a racer and a great climber but opted out of one of the standard five passes. Ah, the good old days. I have this lovely picture from the Death Ride hanging in my office with my wife looking fearsome on a Cannondale 2.8 with DT shifters and wearing her Specialized/Bike Gallery/Power Bar (what a billboard) team jersey. Some guy is chasing her down Monitor Pass. Do they still make Power Bars? Those things were dreadful.

-- Jay Beattie.

Where was a 20% grade? I don't remember that on the Death Ride but I don't remember much about those rides anymore. I do remember a really steep section on the circuit around Lake Tahoe.
Old January 27th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's not what people were saying. Instead, people were saying you were
wrong when you posted "You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and
remain conscious."

It's pretty simple, really. You goofed yet again, and you're doing
everything you can to avoid acknowledging it. Yet again.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That was plainly an exaggeration. I said that I had to crawl back to the gunners position and then back to the front while they could still open the pressurized areas to atmospheric pressure.

Since people have lived up to 16,000 ft and I said that, perhaps you might have gotten some sort of clue. But that would be expecting too much of you.

You know - like I suggested you tell your son to learn Cobol and change jobs to a more lucrative business. Again I wonder that you have no awareness at all of how you sound.
Old January 27th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 5:43:33 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:36:49 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Fortran - that's another language I was happy to forget. Hearing News or
Zen talking about these programs as if they were simple to understand
reminds me that Software Engineers often make light of having to spend
months troubleshooting a tiny little problem because these programs with
all of their updates and fixes made these programs completely
unreadable.

Funny, I had no problems doing that. You did update the code and
recompile didn't you. You did include copious comments in your code?
Shrug, I was writing humungous fluid dynamics programs in fortran in the
70's without problems.

Isn't it time you find a typo in my comments and ask "What language is that" while I'm ignoring your typos?

Why didn't you comment on what I said instead of commenting on what you wish I had said? Updates and corrected errors on old programs on business systems invariably are either not commented on at all or so badly documented that you have to virtually memorize the entire code block to figure it out.

And that is one of the reason no one builds anything in Cobol anymore.
Old January 27th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 28th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

It's marked as 24% just out of Hermit Valley on the west side of Ebbetts Pass, starting up Pacific Grade. There was a piece of Pacific Grade on the 13th edition of the Death Ride, but it was a one-off thing and not on any other ride.

I think the grade signs in the Sierra inflate the percentages to scare RV drivers, but there are some ascending turns on the east side of Pacific Grade where you feel like you're climbing a wall. The west side has some steep grades. too (rode that on a couple tours).

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 29th 19, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 25.01.2019 um 18:28 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
I'm also curious about what's being done now to prevent multiple
recurrences of this problem down the road.

Today we have dozens of languages, splintering the programming pool. Who
will maintain today's code in, say, 2070?

I think the massive paradigm break is that in the 1970s every company
wrote their own company-internal programs and had to do their own
company-internal knowledge securing measures. Most of them were not IT
companies and so made it all up as they went along.

Now, there are a few large software companies, each with thousands of
customers an ten thousands of programmers. In such an environment
knowledge securing is more professional (knowing that a botch-up would
make many customers sue you reduces the tendencies for upper management
to take needless risks).
Old January 29th 19, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 3:50:21 AM UTC-8, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 25.01.2019 um 18:28 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
I'm also curious about what's being done now to prevent multiple
recurrences of this problem down the road.

Today we have dozens of languages, splintering the programming pool. Who
will maintain today's code in, say, 2070?

I think the massive paradigm break is that in the 1970s every company
wrote their own company-internal programs and had to do their own
company-internal knowledge securing measures. Most of them were not IT
companies and so made it all up as they went along.

Now, there are a few large software companies, each with thousands of
customers an ten thousands of programmers. In such an environment
knowledge securing is more professional (knowing that a botch-up would
make many customers sue you reduces the tendencies for upper management
to take needless risks).

There are several very large companies that sell business software and the platforms they run on. Those older languages have already disappeared though having some companies hanging onto older business programs in order to avoid cost will no doubt end sooner than later.

KISS MY ASS JIMMYMAC SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 10:20 PM
TROLLING IS WHAT I DO BEST SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 561 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 10:19 PM
Nasty Crash for MTB darryl Australia 0 November 23rd 05 02:50 AM
Looks nasty.... Humbug Australia 4 November 7th 05 05:05 AM
Holiday in Holland = Unicycling holiday! unicycleboy Unicycling 4 March 13th 04 04:01 PM