mirror for Trek 520

Old September 12th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
oldguy

Default mirror for Trek 520

My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

Old September 12th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 11, 9:38 pm, oldguy wrote:
My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

My LBS put a handlebar mounted mirror on my 520 when I bought it and
I'm not 100% sure who made it. But looking at the on-line offerings
of mirrors, I'm pretty sure it's a Mountain Mirrycle.

Old September 12th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

http://cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old September 12th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 11, 9:38 pm, oldguy wrote:
My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

Blackburn "Road Mirror"; fits on the brake hood, takes about 10
seconds to take off or put on. Under $20 at Nashbar, etc.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/mirrors.html

Old September 12th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Sir Thomas of Cannondale

Chuck,,, have you ever used a helmet mirror? I was looking at one the other
day.

I've never tried one, always figured the mirror would get broken too easy.

I do have a bar end mirror and it works real good.

I plan on attaching a blinky to my bar end at the mirror for more
protection.

"Chuck Anderson" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 12th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
Chuck,,, have you ever used a helmet mirror?

Quite simply, ... no.

My first mirror was a Mirrycle brake hood model. A real pain to install
(on my road bike).

While on my first tour (Seattle to San Francisco) I bought a bar end
Mirrycle for my MTB, and ever since then I feel impaired when I have to
ride without one.

oldguy wrote:

My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

http://cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
The world is my country,
Science, my religion.
*****************************
Old September 12th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RBrickston

In article ,
says...
oldguy wrote:
My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

http://cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

The 520 comes with road bars with bar end shifters so this particular
mirror will not work.
Old September 13th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Jacoubowsky

My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

It's tough to fit a mirror onto a road bike, especially when the primary
spot of real estate is taken up by the bar-end shifter. Another poster
suggested one of the mirrors that mounts onto the brake lever, but I've
rarely found those acceptable for women, who typically have smaller hands
and have a difficult time reaching the lever without anything extra added on
top of the hood.

There are some helmet & eyeglass-mounted mirrors that work quite well
though. The one I've used, and the favorite among our customers, is the
"Take A Look" mirror. You can set it up on eyewear or, with the optional
helmet mounting attachment, it will mount very securely onto most any
helmet. I much prefer the helmet option, for what it's worth.
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml if you'd like to see
customer reviews of the product. One hint if you get one- initially, attach
the mounting piece for the helmet using masking tape. That way you can find
the right place for it, before using the double-sided use-once adhesive.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 13th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 13, 12:29 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
My wife has a new Trek 529 touring bike. Is there a mirror that will
fit on this bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

It's tough to fit a mirror onto a road bike, especially when the primary
spot of real estate is taken up by the bar-end shifter. Another poster
suggested one of the mirrors that mounts onto the brake lever, but I've
rarely found those acceptable for women, who typically have smaller hands
and have a difficult time reaching the lever without anything extra added on
top of the hood.

Remember, this bike doesn't use STI levers (yes, I know you know
that), so the hoods are less bulbous and the hood mounted mirror is
less likely to cause problems.

I agree with you in preferring "head mounted" (eyewear or helmet)
mirrors, but alot of riders seem to find a handlebar mounted mirror
easier to deal with (less disorienting) becase head position doesn't
affect rear vision as much.

helmet. I much prefer the helmet option, for what it's worth.http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/p..._86204.shtmlif you'd like to see

Old September 13th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
David Dermott

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

There are some helmet & eyeglass-mounted mirrors that work quite well
though. The one I've used, and the favorite among our customers, is the
"Take A Look" mirror. You can set it up on eyewear or, with the optional
helmet mounting attachment, it will mount very securely onto most any
helmet. I much prefer the helmet option, for what it's worth.
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

I've used eye-glass mirrors for about 25 years.

I have the "Take a Look" eyeglass mirror. Very nice in that it is
adjustable along 3 axis. One problem with it is that it takes me 2 hands
to attach it to my glasses. My other mirror (much modified and repaired)
has a clip which I can attach with one hand.

Plastic arms on some mirrors are VERY fragile. My record for breaking one
is about 30 sec after opening the package. I've repaired the arm with a
piece of spoke.

The other problem with these mirrors is that they are easily lost-
drop it in grass or on dark pavement and then step on it! I've
put bright orange tape of the backside of the mirror.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html

Try All mirror rim bailingmarne Unicycling 0 June 14th 07 09:42 PM
Mirror Russell UK 48 March 16th 06 11:14 PM
Mirror, mirror, on the bar... SteppenW Australia 27 February 20th 06 02:35 AM
a new mirror Paul Nevai Techniques 12 September 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Mirror? Nartker General 3 May 19th 04 06:41 AM