What's the point?

Old January 18th 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What's the point?

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 11:16:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 1:33:37 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 4:29:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 3:18:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 7:25:21 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
What's the point of clip less pedals. People ride happily with flat pedals.

What's the point of gear levers integrated with the brake levers?
People ride happily with gear levers on the down tube, or no gears at all!

What's the point of disc brakes? People happily use rim brakes.

What's the point of multitudes of bottom bracket bearing designs?
People ride happily with regular square tapered axles and cranks to fit.

What's the point of through axles? People ride happily with quick
release axles or solid axles.

What's the point of A-Head head sets? People ride happily with threaded
steerers and head set assemblies.

What's the point of .... I think you see my frustration with the current
thread.

I haven't bothered going tubeless on my newly acquired gravel touring
bike (1) with 42mm WTB Resolute tyres. If I start getting punctures or
run out of traction and want lower pressure, and think tubeless goop
will help, I might try then.

(1) Marin, Four Corners.

--
JS

freakin' luddites...."if'n it was good enough fer mah pappy, it's good enough fer me! MAGA!!!!!!"

There's a homeless encampment waiting for you.

Why would I go to a homeless encampment when I have a home with a paid-up mortgage?

Your Mommy's home doesn't count.

Even if I did live with my mother, it would count. You still haven't provided a reason why I should go to a homeless camp. Care to try again?
Old January 18th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 8:43:28 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Because she is going to get tired of your mooching and using drugs.
Old January 19th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:19:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 3:10:13 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 17/1/19 9:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 12:25:21 AM UTC, James wrote:

What's the point of disc brakes? People happily use rim brakes.

I have hydraulic discs. My discs are 622mm.

My wife made a comment to a mate about me, as I was digging a hole to
find a storm water pipe, "He's not very muscly." Our mate replied after
seeing the veins erupting from my arms, "Looks like the hydraulics are
working fine though!"

Seems I've had 622 mm hydraulic/cable discs for about 3 decades ;-)

I haven't bothered going tubeless on my newly acquired gravel
touring bike (1) with 42mm WTB Resolute tyres. If I start getting
punctures or run out of traction and want lower pressure, and think
tubeless goop will help, I might try then.

(1) Marin, Four Corners.

A point definitely arrives on my Big Apple 60mm balloons when you
will get fishbites. For me it's pretty low, around 1.5 bar, but my
roads are all blacktop, including even the smallest lanes. What
happens is that you hit a pothole at speed on a downhill and your
ride is instantly ruined. I haven't ridden on gravel roads since I
lived in Australia, but I'd expect my tyres to be good at about 2.4
bar on good gravel and nearer 3 bar on gravel due for grading -- at
which point they ride like their wretched cousins, the Marathon Plus.
One would also want to know something of the sidewalls of your
Resolute tyres.

The WTB Resolute tyres seem ok to me. On the road they are not a
terrible drag. The overall weight of the bike is a drag to ride up
hill, but that's to be expected. On gravel the tyres seem to grip well
enough. I don't have much to compare with though.

For some strange reason the sidewalls are marked with a _minimum_
pressure of something like 50 psi. (It may be 55. I can't remember
exactly, but it was 50 or 50 something.)

With 50 psi in the 42 mm tyres, it is fine on smooth bitumen, but very
rough on gravel roads. I've let them down to about 40 psi for gravel,
with the bike only carrying me (75 kg).

--
JS

James, today's high performance wheels are very light and they wear out rapidly with rim brakes. It is a lot simpler and cheaper to replace disks and disk brake pads. This is especially handy with carbon wheels which cost so damn much.

Given that James has mentioned that he rides about 10,000 miles, or
maybe it was kilometers, a year I suspect that he may be a better
authority on performance wheels then an elderly chap with mental
problems.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old January 19th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

I'm sure that the way to remain young is exercise. That's what keeps the hydraulics working. I have a home to maintain - I was just down talking to a flooring store. I have to refloor my kitchen and living room. And my normal distance on the bike is about 7,000 miles a year though last year it was only 4,000 because of things like eye surgery.

Where are you located where you ride a gravel bike? I've found really few places where those are practical though I have two presently.
Old January 19th 19, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/18/2019 11:35 PM, James wrote:
On 19/1/19 12:14 pm, wrote:

Where are you located where you ride a gravel bike? I've found really
few places where those are practical though I have two presently.

In Australia.Â* Nearest capital city is a 3 hour drive away.Â* Nearest
town is a 15 minute drive away.Â* If I ride in the opposite direction
from the nearest town, the bitumen runs out within 7 km and there are
gravel roads beyond and to each side.Â* There are hundreds of kilometers
of gravel roads through the state forest and national parks nearby.
Coffee shops are few and far between though.

I live on the edge of a metro area that was settled and farmed early in
Ohio's history. All those little farms needed road access, so there are
hundreds of little paved ex-farm roads to explore, although the paving
is far from excellent. Supposedly, in the 1950s or so, the county
engineer made a name for himself by paving hundreds of miles of gravel
roads, but he did it on the cheap. We pay for it in potholes ever since.

So in my immediate riding area, there are few gravel roads. But about
40 miles north is an Amish area with lots of them. I used to run our
club's annual century ride which passed through that area, and at times
it took considerable research to find paved roads we could use.

I'm not averse to riding gravel on 32mm tires or even the 28s I normally
use, provided it's not too coarse. But it's occurred to me that it might
be fun to rent a B&B in that Amish area and spend time poking around on
a gravel bike with wider tires. Traffic would be light and/or
horse-drawn. The Amish tend to be friendly toward people on bikes. (I've
had teenagers in buggies race me.) The countryside is picturesque,
including quite a few covered bridges.

Maybe someday before we get too old.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 19th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 4:39:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Even if I did live with my mother, it would count. You still haven't provided a reason why I should go to a homeless camp. Care to try again?

Because she is going to get tired of your mooching and using drugs.

Well sparky, when that happens (either me mooching _or_ using drugs) I'll make sure you're one of the first to know. Until then you should just be happy to live in your fantasy world.

Old January 19th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:39:01 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
[...]

Ever had the pleasure of riding outbound on a gravel road early in the day and on the way back in the afternoon discovered that they just dumped a few inched of nice fresh LOOSE gravel? that happened to a friend and me on a long gravel road ride a few years ago. Even our 2.125 knobby MTB tires had trouble getting through that stuff let alone riding it in a straight line. Man, what a workout that was!

Cheers
Old January 19th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 8:36:15 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 19/1/19 12:14 pm, wrote:

Where are you located where you ride a gravel bike? I've found really
few places where those are practical though I have two presently.

In Australia. Nearest capital city is a 3 hour drive away. Nearest
town is a 15 minute drive away. If I ride in the opposite direction
from the nearest town, the bitumen runs out within 7 km and there are
gravel roads beyond and to each side. There are hundreds of kilometers
of gravel roads through the state forest and national parks nearby.
Coffee shops are few and far between though.

--
JS

I just did 26 miles today with 15 of it through loose gravel. I was holding 15 mph and by the time I got to the end of it I was really shot. As I rode through an empty industrial part I realized that I had the front derailleur slightly off so that damn thing was dragging as well. Got out onto Hesperian which is a main road here and it was me taking an entire lane and cars going by at 50 mph. I finally found the coffee shop I was looking for and after than I took backroad home at 12 mph. Could have been worse - I might have had to return on the damn gravel.
Old January 19th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/19/2019 1:19 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I haven't had that "pleasure," but I recall a mountain bike ride whose
last mile or so was on railroad ballast made of softball-sized rocks.
Our mountain bikes were rigid fore and aft, so the roughness was
punishing indeed.

Tying into the Tubeless thread: I decided to let lots of air out of my
tires. They were probably down to 20 psi or so, although I didn't
measure. My friend said I was crazy, that I was sure to pinch flat. I
knew it was a risk, but I just couldn't take the pounding.

I rode very carefully and never did flat, but oddly enough, he did. My
lucky day, I guess.

--
- Frank Krygowski