Florida Keys and Souther Florida over New Year

Old September 6th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jens

Default Florida Keys and Souther Florida over New Year

Hello,

we are thinking about cycling from Miami to Key West, arriving at Key
West on New Years Eve. Afterwards we would like to spend some time in
the Everglades and maybe in Miami.
First of all I have to know, if it is possible and enjoyable to cycle
the overseas Highway. Lots of people, who are cardrivers mostly, think
that it is an awfull ride and they cannot imagine to cycle there. As I
have not been there, I do not know, yet.

I have cycled the 101 and CA1 along the Californian Coast, and I
really loved that ride. The Traffic on CA1 was a lot but that didn't
impressed me at all :-)

So, who did the ride from Miami to Key West and can give me some
impressions, either good or bad ones.

Thanks for your help,

Jens.

Old September 6th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Jens wrote:

Hello,

we are thinking about cycling from Miami to Key West, arriving at Key
West on New Years Eve. Afterwards we would like to spend some time in
the Everglades and maybe in Miami.
First of all I have to know, if it is possible and enjoyable to cycle
the overseas Highway. Lots of people, who are cardrivers mostly, think
that it is an awfull ride and they cannot imagine to cycle there. As I
have not been there, I do not know, yet.

I have cycled the 101 and CA1 along the Californian Coast, and I
really loved that ride. The Traffic on CA1 was a lot but that didn't
impressed me at all :-)

So, who did the ride from Miami to Key West and can give me some
impressions, either good or bad ones.

Thanks for your help,

Jens.

Hope you get some answers as I've entertained doing
exactly what you are thinking as well

Have also entertained WALKING the route/bridges etc
Old September 6th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-09-06, Jens wrote:

we are thinking about cycling from Miami to Key West, arriving at Key
West on New Years Eve. Afterwards we would like to spend some time in
the Everglades and maybe in Miami.
First of all I have to know, if it is possible and enjoyable to cycle
the overseas Highway. Lots of people, who are cardrivers mostly, think
that it is an awfull ride and they cannot imagine to cycle there. As I
have not been there, I do not know, yet.

Ron Wallenfang's trip report to this group on 8/22/2006 is just what the
doctor ordered:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.rides/msg/f797fdbffa1765c4

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old September 7th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 6, 11:08 am, Kristian M Zoerhoff
On 2007-09-06, Jens wrote:

we are thinking about cycling from Miami to Key West, arriving at Key
West on New Years Eve. Afterwards we would like to spend some time in
the Everglades and maybe in Miami.
First of all I have to know, if it is possible and enjoyable to cycle
the overseas Highway. Lots of people, who are cardrivers mostly, think
that it is an awfull ride and they cannot imagine to cycle there. As I
have not been there, I do not know, yet.

Ron Wallenfang's trip report to this group on 8/22/2006 is just what the
doctor ordered:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.rides/msg/f797fdbffa1765c4

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
(_)/ (_)

To give a capsule summary of my own report, good biking in the keys;
more "iffy" from Miami to Key Largo.

Old September 7th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

To give a capsule summary of my own report, good biking in the keys;
more "iffy" from Miami to Key Largo.

So it can be done? And be done safely?

I would just want to fly to Key west and bike form
there to say Miami only.... or just short of Miami

Then fly back home to St Louis

Id do this with my girlfriend who is 41.....and I'm 49

I'm bike savvy but she is not although she is a great
runner and in good shape!
Old September 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I use to have a bookmark for a page called "Biking the Florida Keys," but I
guess I finally deleted it. The reason I never did the ride is because the
article presented too many reasons not to. From the heavy, drunken traffic
and narrow roadways to the sheer intensity of the sun the entire way down,
it seems to be a die-hard only route.

Key West is a very cool place to visit, though.

Old September 7th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Papa Tom" wrote:

The reason I never did the ride is because the
article presented too many reasons not to. From the heavy, drunken traffic
and narrow roadways to the sheer intensity of the sun the entire way down,
it seems to be a die-hard only route.

Yep...sounds like some downsides to it form a safety
aspect

I would do it in the winter tho....so would sun
intensity still be such a problem then?

I do worry abt drunken drivers tho!

Key West is a very cool place to visit, though.

Have heard that. Never been there. That's why a bike
ride sounded so compelling
Old September 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Papa Tom" wrote:

The reason I never did the ride is because the
article presented too many reasons not to. From the heavy, drunken traffic
and narrow roadways

Doesn't there exist a partial bike/walk trail tho?
Where one could at least be off the main roads some of
the trip?

I'm 49.... so safety is a concern for me. I try to
reduce risk as much as possible.
Old September 7th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

There is a road that runs beside some of the route, to the best of my
recollection. According to people who have done this ride, though, my
memory of how far this road spans might be somewhat distorted.

I was completely psyched to do this ride about 5-6 years ago. I don't want
to talk you out of it, because it's a great destination and a nice goal to
set. However, it didn't take long for other riders (many much younger and
more serious than I) to talk me out of it. The drunk drivers seem to be an
issue over the 100 mile stretch, as does the unbearable direct sun. I'm not
sure if it mellows out over the winter, but I don't think so. I was in Key
West on business in January and it was just as hot as ever.

FYI, I toured Key West itself by bicycle and was somewhat disappointed.
It's a place to mellow out and drink and drink and drink...not really a
place to take a hot bike ride. Also, once you get away from the tourist
area, it gets a little bit seedy in some spots.

If you do go, be sure to dip your bike in the ocean and buy a "Southernmost
Rider" T-shirt!

Old September 8th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 7, 12:06 pm, wrote:
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
To give a capsule summary of my own report, good biking in the keys;
more "iffy" from Miami to Key Largo.

So it can be done? And be done safely?

I would just want to fly to Key west and bike form
there to say Miami only.... or just short of Miami

Then fly back home to St Louis

Id do this with my girlfriend who is 41.....and I'm 49

I'm bike savvy but she is not although she is a great
runner and in good shape!

If I were to do that ride again, I'd investigate alternative routes to
US 1 going south from downtown Miami. As my report reflects, US 1 is
not comfortable riding there. Further south on US 1, there was a few
feet of paved shoulder area, but it did have raised reflectors in it
that you have to be alert to dodge. From Key Largo south, I
considered it good biking.

Where to testdrive in Florida tsp907 Recumbent Biking 2 June 30th 06 09:31 PM
Okay so now I know it's not just Florida! Ken C. M. General 2 May 2nd 06 03:28 AM
florida riders redhead Unicycling 10 August 10th 05 02:25 AM
RIDING IN MIAMI OR HOMESTEAD / FLORIDA CITY, FLORIDA [email protected] Marketplace 2 July 22nd 04 03:21 PM
Florida 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap Doug Haxton Social Issues 30 November 9th 03 11:53 PM