SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 6th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 21:13:13 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I prefer "Learn by Destroying". The motto of
the college that finally graduated me was
"Learn by Doing". I thought a small change
was more appropriate. It really means that if
you haven't taken it apart, broken it, fixed
it, and put it back together working, you
don't understand it. You probably will not
understand how lighting works until after you
learn to make the basic measurements and then
destroy a bicycle light by tearing it apart
and trying to "improve" it. I'm quite serious
about this because that's what I had to do
before I understood how lighting works.

This doesn't work as well as it used to.
Say that you are a kid today. Good luck getting
your parents permission to destroy your TV.
Even more good look is needed for you to put it
back together. Or a modern mower. Or a modern
phone. Or a modern whatever.

Wrong. The most difficult part of repairing anything is collecting
the required courage to jump into doing something new or something
you've never done before. It's also easier to obtain forgiveness than
to obtain permission.

In the US, we have the "maker" movement. What they make and how they
make it covers an impossibly large range of devices and methods. I've
helped some of the neighbors kids with their assorted projects and
have been impressed. A few get into fixing things, mostly to save
money. Replacing digitizers and screens in smartphones and tablets is
not easy and certainly has its risks, but educational value and cost
savings are substantial.

Way back when I was an aspiring juvenile delinquent, I wanted a car.
My parents claimed poverty and refused. However, I was allowed to
borrow my mother's car. After a few months, I had forgotten to change
the oil and blew up the engine. My fathers answer was simple. "You
wanted a car, and there it is. All you need to do now is fix it". At
this point, I didn't know much about automobile mechanics and repair.
I learned quickly and did a ring and valve job on a straight 6
cylinder car in my parents driveway. It took about 3 months. I only
made one mistake (mostly because I ran out of money for buying
specialized tools) which eventually killed the engine, again. Oops.

The experience of scattering an automobile engine all over the
driveway, fixing it, and putting it back together, combined with other
mechanical experience (sewing machine mechanic) is what I attribute
much of my current level of technical expertise. You have to start on
such adventures when you're young because learning such things becomes
much more difficult as we get older. The key thing is to NOT have any
fear of doing something new and different. If that's your problem or
your excuse, then you've lost even before you start.

I like to photograph what I tear apart and reverse engineer. For
example, in the bicycle section:

Cygolite Streak 280 headlight:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygolite%20Streak%20280/index.html

K1009 headlight:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/K1009%20light/index.html

Also, the iFixit site has a large number of teardowns and repair
guides. You might learn something reading them, but you'll learn much
more by finding something worth investigating, take it apart, take
photos, and write a repair guide:
https://www.ifixit.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 6th 18, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 12:44:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Also, the iFixit site has a large number of teardowns and repair
guides. You might learn something reading them, but you'll learn much
more by finding something worth investigating, take it apart, take
photos, and write a repair guide:
https://www.ifixit.com

Mo
https://www.ifixit.com/Search?doctyp...query=bicycle?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 6th 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

This doesn't work as well as it used to.
Say that you are a kid today. Good luck
getting your parents permission to destroy
your TV. Even more good look is needed for
you to put it back together. Or a modern
mower. Or a modern phone.
Or a modern whatever.

Wrong.

Repairing a car, TV, radio, mower, phone, etc.,
is much more difficult today than in 1975.
Especially if you are to destroy/disassemble
it first.

My granddad had a professional repair shop, not
like my cloak-and-dagger stuff. At this shop,
they did absolutely *everything*. Bikes, cars,
boats, radios, phones, TVs, you name it.
Good luck finding such a shop today with
a couple of guys being able to do all that with
the usual set of everyday tools and a very
small set of machines.

Is have visited this shop and organized it,
cleaned every tool, thrown away garbage, and
all. What remains is good stuff, but still just
the common stuff. Except for the electronics
stuff, which I know nothing about, we had
pretty much the same gear, him and I. The only
thing he had that I didn't were a bunch of
impact drivers. Other that that there were just
sockets, combination spanners, different types
of hammers, and so on. And with this, he solved
problems in a range that's unthinkable today.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 7th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 07:40:47 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-04 14:43, Radey Shouman wrote:

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

The beloved Magicshine brings us what we finally need in bike lights.
Thanks to all the gods. 6500 lumens! I think you can have either
5000 or 1500 or all 6500 lumens. Thankfully now we will not only be
able to blind everyone else on the road or trail, but we can now
cause their eyeballs to burst into flames and maybe hopefully their
heads will also explode. Yeah!!!!!!

This one for their rear light is weird, quote "A sleep mode is
triggered after one minute of inaction to save power, any vibration
will immediately re-activate the unit".

So the light will go out while waiting at an intersection? Really?
Nobody raised their hand during the design review? Was there even a
design review?

First, their definition of "sleep mode" may not be "goes out." It could,
I suppose, just become much dimmer. In any case, it would be easy enough
to jiggle the bike a bit to turn it back on.

Not very smart on the part of the design engineers.

But it's probably not necessary. Ohio law specifically permits lights
that go out when the bike is stationary, ...

Not a smart decision by the lawmakers.

... and there's never been a report
of a death or serious injury caused by that feature.

Grandpa drove without a seat belt all his life and never go hurt, so ...

Grandpa also rode his bicycle without a six foot tall safety flag, a
siren, a bell constantly and automatically ringing every time he
moved, pads on his knees, pads on his elbows, body armor protecting
his spine. Why are you not using all those measures?

(Actually, maybe you are. With you, we never know.)

BTW, it even happens from the front, even by police officers:

https://fox2now.com/2018/07/30/polic...hone-in-video/

Nothing can replace bright light other than even brighter
lights. Which both of my bikes have.

Joerg, you're the master of the worldwide search for the vanishingly
rare exception. That is NOT a common crash type, as any dispassionate
search of the literature would shoe. And you have no evidence that
your daytime headlight would have prevented it.

Looks like the video has been taken down, at least fox2now.com can't
find it.

Works fine here.

Works for me now, no more "video unavailable".

... The accident happened in broad daylight, no vehicles save the
cop SUV and the cyclist visible for miles, cyclist waiting at an
intersection, I think for a stop sign. Total f*up on the part of the
cop, who was more or less apologetic. A daytime running light would not
have helped.

Not true. I clearly found that drivers notice me much better with
bright lights. Even in the corner of their eyes is enough because it
"distracts" them in a good way. All it takes is noticing a cyclist a
second or two earlier and a collision can be avoided.

Seriously? The cop would have looked up from his phone if only the
cyclist had had a light? Sounds like magic.

Easy to try. While distracted with some chore in your home, have
someone walk towards you pointing a bright but not blinding LED
flashlight. It works. A human eye is not insensitive in the directions
where one does not look, just less sensitive. The "muffling effect"
needs to be overcome and intense light is just about the only method
to achieve that.

This wasn't inside, it was outside in bright daylight, looked like
hardly a cloud in the sky.

Try this in daylight. It works.

... A really bright light is required to make much difference
in that case.

Bingo! Now you know why I have bright lights on my bikes. I experienced
it again yesterday. I had to ride through city streets for many miles,
partially at max speed. With the light fully on nobody cut into my path.
Without lights that is different.

Other clue: You are driving a car, looking ahead into traffic as you
are supposed to do. The dashboard becomes largely unnoticed except for
the occasional glance at the speedometer. However, when the yellow
check engine light, the red oil pressure light, the overtemp light or
the low fuel light comes on it is immediately noticed. Same if someone
behind you flashes their headlights even while you aren't looking into
the rear view mirror.

That only happens if you have the habit, perhaps not completely
conscious, of scanning the dashboard. How do you know it's "immediate"?
You notice it when you notice it, and if it's 10 seconds after the event
that's not a big problem, unlike the case for traffic on the road.

If bright enough or if a less bright light in flashing mode I see that
immediately. An airline pilot could even lose his license if he didn't.

If bright enough... that is exactly what I said, isn't it. But a great
many cars do not have bright warning lights.

As for airline pilots... I can't speak for the airlines but USAF
bombers have a very bright master warning light located at eye level
on the instrument panel that comes on if any of the individual warring
lights are illuminated. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunciator_panel

"More complicated aircraft will feature "Master Warning" and "Master
Caution" lights/switches. In the event of any red or yellow
annunciator being activated, the yellow or red master light, usually
located elsewhere in the pilot's line of sight, will illuminate. In
most installations they will flash and an audible alert will accompany
them. These "masters" will not stop flashing until they have been
acknowledged, usually by pressing the light itself"

Yet another one: Think about the reason why approaching emergency
vehicles have very bright flashing lights.

In my world they usually turn on their sirens when approaching busy
intersections, especially if they intend to blow the light.

When they approach from far up front or behind I am pulled over to the
shoulder and stopped before they even get there, as is required by our
law. Same for the drivers in front and behind me. The siren is only
heard way later and often too late.

IMHO if someone only notices an approaching fast police cruiser when
they hear the siren they should not have a driver's license.

There is a reason why DRL have been mandatory on US motorcycles for a
long time.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 7th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 08:11:56 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-04 14:43, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]

[...]

Now imagine all of these riders with lights and sirens:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...png?1428427634

This is the daily commuter traffic into downtown. Now put all those
people on the two-way cycle track on my way into work.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...ansit-bend.jpg
Now live with that.

As I've written several times, bright lights are not needed on bike
paths. I turn them off there during the day. They are also not needed
when there are lots of cyclists (safety in numbers). It's different out
here, this is not Portland, Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Solid white lights in bright sunshine are almost universally
irrelevant and annoying to other cyclists and drivers.

No, they are not. Why do you think motorcycles have mandatory DRL? Just
for fun?

... I see jerseys
and body shape long before I register the light.

That is totally contrary to my experience and that of just about anyone
I know.

... And BTW, having
driven ambulance for six years, I spent plenty of time sitting behind
cars with my deafening Federal Q2B pegged before the dopey driver
turned down the music and realized I was sitting there -- and then he
freaks out, hits the gas, goes into the intersection and gets
whacked. It can be a sh** show. Whatever giant light, siren,
calliope, marching band you claim will save your life can only make a
marginal improvement and proving that margin is hard if not
impossible, and a blinding light can cause accidents or at least
upset.

That driver shouldn't have a license.

What will really reduce accidents is being a good rider and knowing
how to ride in traffic and with entering or exiting traffic.

That's the problem. A lot of car drivers do not fall into that category
and that is beyond my influence. What I can influence is how my ship is
lit, so I do that.

No you can't. Marine vessels must adhere to very stringent
international regulations for the lights that they display and the
brightness of those lights.

... A DRL
may help, but it is certainly not magical and is irrelevant in many
situations. Lights are critical at night, obviously -- but mega
lights are totally unnecessary on city streets in dry weather. What
is "enough" at night varies depending on terrain, conditions, etc.,
but whatever is enough, it can't be blinding people.

Again, my experience is very much contrary to that. And my experience
seems to jibe with what national safety boards have found out about
motorcycle lighting.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 7th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 10/5/2018 11:06 PM, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 15:38:49 -0700, wrote:

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 11:22:00 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 7:31:57 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Yet strangely, it jibes with that of our government folks. Why do you
think they mandate DRL on motorcycles?

And yet motorcycles are the one category of MVs in Oregon with
increasing fatality rates. e.g.
http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/loca...al-motorcycle-
crashes-spiking-this-year

-- Jay Beattie.

But are increasing motorcycle fatalities due to 1. Motorcycles just
being more dangerous, smaller, harder to see, or 2. Stupid, careless,
reckless drivers of motorcycles, or 3. Fatal in crashes because the
drivers are manly men who choose to NOT wear helmets?

And most probably have a strong preference for "cool" black leather
jackets rather than the more visible day-glo orange/yellow/lime that
would improve their visibility.

Just like those damned pedestrians! Walkers persist in wearing colors
OTHER than day-glo! And some of the women even wear shoes that are not
designed for sprinting out of the way at a moment's notice! How
irresponsible!

Not to mention those inconsiderate blue haired users of walking
frames -- they should have known those things would slow them down.

Old October 7th 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 11:49:47 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-06 08:38, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Why on earth does someone riding a two lane highway with no
intersections think they have to have a white light facing forward? It's
a paranoia.

Simple:

1. It prevents a large vehicle driver from overtake another large
vehicle and then the driver seeing the cyclist when it's too late.

2. It causes oncoming motorists to see the cyclist much earlier and, for
example, if a big semi comes they can pull a bit to the right so the
semi can give the cyclist wide berth.

As a motorist I am always glad when oncoming cyclists use DRL because it
gives me lots of time to move to the right in a way that the other
traffic recognizes that.

I live in a country where we have a great many bright sunny days and
as well, a great many motorcycles driving the wrong way on the road
sides... sufficient numbers that there is an unofficial protocol for
meeting them, and I can assure you that in bright summer light the
small driving lights that motorcycles, according to law must display,
are hardly noticeable although in the early morning or evening they do
become more visible.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 7th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-10-04 12:18, jbeattie wrote:

It takes very little light to be conspicuous at night,
and it takes no additional light to be conspicuous during
the day -- assuming broad daylight without cloud cover or
other low-light condition.

My experience is clearly different.

Your experiences are almost always unique, not just
different.

Yet strangely, it jibes with that of our government folks. Why
do you think they mandate DRL on motorcycles?

And yet motorcycles are the one category of MVs in Oregon with
increasing fatality rates. e.g.
http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/loca...king-this-year

You of all people, having been an amulance driver, should know the
reason. The reason is this behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkWWVryT1UE

That is the road where I was almost clipped by a motorcyclist. He
didn't anticipate that there could be a mountain bike in a right
turn, hugged the curve at high speed and ... "GAAAH!". I heard his
engine screaming but didn't have anywhere to go because of a wall
of rock to my right. He needed the full oncoming lane to get the
situation somewhat under control. Imagine what would have happened
if there'd been oncoming traffic.

Did you have your super-bright light on?

Of course.

... Did it prevent the
motorcyclist from being an asshole? If not, you need a much brighter
light. You need the Asshole Eliminator from Magicshine -- 60,600
lumen high rate flasher. Run it all the time.

The light is for regular straight stretches of road, it won't help in
tight curves. Though it might cause motorists to recognize me fractions
of a second earlier.

Then why are you telling us the motorcycle story if it is not to illustrate that bright DRLs are needed? If you just want to talk about assholes in cars or motorcycles, that is rather mundane and has nothing to do with lights.

And your post about being seen by on-coming, passing cars on straight stretches, you seem to confuse being seen with playing chicken. I ride on country roads all the time where cars in on-coming traffic get into my lane to pass. They can see me. I'm looking right at them. They just don't care. Being that I'm not riding a 3 ton F350, I pull to the right. A magical light doesn't change that dynamic.

I did a short ride today -- my legs are killing me, and I haven't been off my bike for weeks. It's overcast and rained this morning. I saw maybe thirty other cyclists on my little climbing route -- maybe two with DRLs. No deaths to report. No breathless hysterics, stranded people, incompetents with exploded tubeless tires. Totally normal, at least by Portland standards, which for you might be super scary since I'm riding on city streets at full speed! Eeek!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 7th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-10-04 12:18, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Perhaps if you had your bent nail and rock hammer with you someone's
chain would have failed and you could have fixed it and reported the
event here.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 7th 18, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Oculus Lights wrote:

[shameless Barry Beams plug]

In other Barry Burr news, the absolute priority having two customers on
Amazon is ... to make sure I call 50% of them a "douche bag" ...
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B018797NI2&isAmazonFulfille d=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&se ller=A3BDW30AECO8UD