The last headlight you will ever need

Old March 27th 14, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default The last headlight you will ever need

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0700, sms
wrote:

You need to work on a bicycle driven coffee grinder.

Some bicycles already have that feature built in as an optional
accessory to the roller dynamo. Just put the coffee beans between the
tires and the roller dynamo, and instant crushed beans. Adjust weight
load and tire pressure for your favored grind. If you insist on clean
coffee grounds, just put the beans in a long tube or soda straw.

For bicycle
tourists without access to electric power the present options suck
because the manual grinders are extremely slow.

Still, that would go well with the non-electric utopian future. Also,
you don't need a grinder as a coffee bean crusher will suffice. For
tourists, it's easy enough to take a bag of beans, place a metal plate
over the bag of beans, put everything in the roadway, and wait for the
traffic to crush the beans[1]

If desperate, use a hammer or something to pound on the beans.
http://www.wikihow.com/Grind-Coffee-Beans-Without-a-Grinder
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603193920AArmKLO

Contrary to what was
shown in the movie City Slickers, there are no battery powered coffee
grinders. The closest I've come is this:
http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG but this
12VDC grinder has been discontinued.

Hmmm... that's one application where a direct bicycle drive is
unlikely to work. Unlike the bicycle powered can opener, a bicycle
powered coffee grinder will require high rotational speeds. Gearing
up to several thousand RPM is not going to be practical or efficient.
A coffee bean crusher, as previously described, should suffice.

[1] It also works well for grinding Java beans:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Iphone4-cracked-screen-01.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 27th 14, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/03/14 11:56, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 3/26/2014 12:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Hmmm... I haven't seen any bicycle powered can openers, but I suppose
one could be designed. Speed reduction seems to be the major problem,
so I would suggest an outboard worm gear, driving a sprocket, with the
power transmitted to the can opener via a speedometer cable. I'm not
sure there's a market, but if you label it "high efficiency" and
"ecologically correct", it should bring in some sales.

You need to work on a bicycle driven coffee grinder. For bicycle
tourists without access to electric power the present options suck
because the manual grinders are extremely slow. Contrary to what was
shown in the movie City Slickers, there are no battery powered coffee
grinders. The closest I've come is this:
http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG but this
12VDC grinder has been discontinued.

My goodness but you Americans seem so inapt. One can easily pound
coffee beans into a powder with a mortar and pestle. Just like the old
folks used to. But of course, you probably can't figure out how to
operate one of those.

I was looking for a hand operated coffee grinder a while back. There
were new ones available that were more for show than actual use, and of
course I could use my mortar and pestle for a coarse grind, but in the
end I was resigned to the fact that unless I bought an overpriced
antique, my only option was an electric burr grinder.

It works very well. I got quite an industrial looking device. I just
hope it lasts well enough.

--
JS
Old March 27th 14, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

I do use a hand powered can opener though, and have never owned an
electric can opener.

--
JS
Old March 27th 14, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:47:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

Old March 27th 14, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It depends on what type of grind you need. I drink "Chinese coffee",
it is called here, that is powdered coffee and you use a "sock" a sort
of cone shaped cloth bag with a brass wire handle. Put the powdered
coffee in the sock and pour hot water through it. But if you wanted to
use a percolator or something like that I suspect that pounding the
coffee would make too many "fines".
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 27th 14, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Years ago, being the dotting husband that I am :-) I bought my wife an
electric can opener. She tried it a few times and put it away and went
back to the manual can opener. I can only assume that the manual
opener worked better for some reason.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 27th 14, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

But can you do it for 8 hours a day, day in and day out? I really need
to power some tools on the boat I'm working on which is anchored out
in the harbour.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 27th 14, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Probably useful for people with arthritis or something. Easy enough to
find a manual one that works well these days. Not like the old stab and
cut ones.

I would also love to find a good manual coffee grinder that didn't cause
an arm and a leg so if anyone has a link...
Old March 27th 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

But can you do it for 8 hours a day, day in and day out?

Not me. That's where kids and slave labor can be useful.

I really need
to power some tools on the boat I'm working on which is anchored out
in the harbour.

That depends on which power tools and how much power they draw. A
Model 77 Skilsaw, that draws 12A at 117V is not going to be easy to
power. For lesser tools, use 12V power running on a battery bank or a
12V to 117/230VAC inverter for running AC powered tools. Charging the
batteries might be a bit awkward but with solar panels, can be done.
If you're using hand power tools, I've modified a few old Mikita tools
to use LiIon batteries, which last much longer and can be charged very
rapidly. Last resort is floating a very long extension cord to shore
power.

Old March 27th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/27/2014 11:00 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:
John B. considered Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:51:03
+0700 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

But can you do it for 8 hours a day, day in and day out? I really need
to power some tools on the boat I'm working on which is anchored out
in the harbour.

You should be able to power a reasonably respectable car alternator
with even a fairly modest wind turbine, which would seem ideally
suited to use on a boat.
That'll keep a decent 12v battery charged for either direct use, or
through an inverter if you need utility voltage for your tools.
I can't say that I remember using any power tools on boats when I used
to help out down at the yard in Brnham-on-Crouch though.

In the 1930s there were kits to use a Sturmey Archer dynohub
powered by a windmill to charge batteries and run DC auto
lamps for farm lighting.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
What headlight do I need? Schorschi Techniques 103 December 5th 05 05:44 PM
Have you seen this (LED) Headlight? [email protected] General 1 November 21st 05 04:53 PM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM