cycling in Kalamazoo

Old June 9th 16, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cycling in Kalamazoo

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/07/at-least-...s-in-michigan/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

https://goo.gl/XiF0Bt

The crash happened around 6:35 p.m. in the 5500 block of N. Westnedge Avenue south of F Avenue in ... Cooper Township, Westnedge Avenue

MAP is south of F Ave ….go south from there.

Prob not a place I would ride at 6:35

did not see a speed limit sign
Old June 9th 16, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:10:27 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 08/06/2016 12:56 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/07/at-least-...s-in-michigan/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Posted in another thread I started earlier.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/whxwonm8TcU

Seems that they were in the lane and were still struck from behind. The
driver was driving erratically for quite some time before he hit them
and had been reported prior to driving into those bicyclists. He tried
to escape on foot but was caught.

Cheers

According to Andrew's link they were riding on the shoulder. The
shoulder looks plenty wide and smooth enough so I would have been riding
there as well. Though subsequent reports are less clear on where the
riders were.

In this case, either the driver targeted them or had some sort of mental
or physical impairment but it's doesn't seem likely that it would have
mattered where they were riding. He also fled the scene.

In the link I provided it was stated that the driver was driving very
erratically for quite some time before running into those 9 bicyclists.
It wouldn't have mattered where they were on the road because that driver was all over it.

It's long past time to start charging DUIs that result in deat as murders.

Cheers

+1

--
duane
Old June 9th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/8/2016 6:34 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

And how will that make a difference?

http://www.waow.com/story/29289461/2...-for-ninth-owi

(first up in search; I see similar news items weekly)

Old June 9th 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/9/2016 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/8/2016 6:34 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It's long past time to start charging DUIs that result in deat as
murders.

Cheers

And how will that make a difference?

http://www.waow.com/story/29289461/2...-for-ninth-owi

(first up in search; I see similar news items weekly)

It's a knotty problem, all right. We've built a society that almost
always demands a car to get anywhere. And people are not about to stop
drinking. And it really is pleasant to spend time socializing in a pub
or tavern. But you've got to get home. I don't excuse the drunk
drivers, but it's easy to see how it can happen.

I've read that in Ireland and Britain, the beloved pub culture is waning
precisely because of the drink-driving laws. That seems a shame.

Perhaps self-driving cars will solve this problem? And meanwhile,
perhaps ignition interlocks could help - but I'm not optimistic.

Nonetheless, I agree with Sir. Certainly, if someone kills or seriously
injures another while driving, they should never drive again.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 9th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:02:03 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/9/2016 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

ex astronaut was charged with murder. Charge n trail are punitive.

Here, as suggested in my preceding post, the accident elements are immediately ad judicable not statutory....unless specifically written, a DUI charge here is also dependent on what the Ride was doing.

The 'he almost ran over my foot' descriptions, not testimony, are not determining. From Ohio ? you should know this.

http://goo.gl/kRr7YA

why is it that when I access intro links to RBT I see

WHY WATERFORD BIKES ARE A JOKE' by the Waterford lover Jute ?

this is there for months now.
Old June 9th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the scene

https://goo.gl/81RGPi

where did the Death Ride begin ?

come down the path n how far away is the path ?

chance the pickup turned right there or began turning right into a group coming out in a spread formation ......

Old June 9th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:11:27 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The driver chooses to drink without making alternate arrangements to get home afterwards and then gets in a vehicle and kills someone. That should be murder if not premeditated murder. Maybe then the results would be more than a light fine, a license suspension (which doesn't stop driving whilst under suspension) or other tp on the wrist. Far too many DUIs causing death or injury are done by those with many DUIs. Obviously the don't drink and drive ads approach doesn't work and the only thing to do it seems is really increase the penalties for DUI until the penalties make people think the risk isn't worth the action.

Cheers
Old June 10th 16, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/07/at-least-...s-in-michigan/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

http://woodtv.com/2016/06/09/charges...cyclist-crash/

"BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — A Battle Creek man accused of hitting nine bicyclists faces five counts of second-degree murder.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting filed the charges against Charles Pickett Jr. Thursday."

This is good. I hope they stick and the guy goes away for a long time.

Cheers
Old June 10th 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 7:26:13 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/07/at-least-...s-in-michigan/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

http://woodtv.com/2016/06/09/charges...cyclist-crash/

"BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — A Battle Creek man accused of hitting nine bicyclists faces five counts of second-degree murder.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting filed the charges against Charles Pickett Jr. Thursday."

This is good. I hope they stick and the guy goes away for a long time.

Cheers

we look to justice and tighter N-S border controls
Old June 10th 16, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:01:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/9/2016 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/8/2016 6:34 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It's long past time to start charging DUIs that result in deat as
murders.

Cheers

And how will that make a difference?

http://www.waow.com/story/29289461/2...-for-ninth-owi

(first up in search; I see similar news items weekly)

It's a knotty problem, all right. We've built a society that almost
always demands a car to get anywhere. And people are not about to stop
drinking. And it really is pleasant to spend time socializing in a pub
or tavern. But you've got to get home. I don't excuse the drunk
drivers, but it's easy to see how it can happen.

From what I read, some states are talking about legalizing
recreational drugs. The roads are going to be a bit dangerous what
with people tweeting on the phone with a glass in their hand while
toking on a roach.

"No officer, I never saw him. What with the phone ringing, I dropped
the roach in my lap and spilled the beer all over me trying to put it
out. LOOK at me, this skirt is totally ruined!"

I've read that in Ireland and Britain, the beloved pub culture is waning
precisely because of the drink-driving laws. That seems a shame.

I believe that drunk driving laws in some European countries are quite
harsh. The U.S., I think, uses a blood level of 0.08 as a determining
factor while Sweden imposes a penalty of 6 months in jail for 0.02
(and two years for 0.010).

Perhaps self-driving cars will solve this problem? And meanwhile,
perhaps ignition interlocks could help - but I'm not optimistic.

Shades of Flip Wilson, up-dated. Instead of "the Devil made me do it",
it is now,"The Car made me do it".

Nonetheless, I agree with Sir. Certainly, if someone kills or seriously
injures another while driving, they should never drive again.

--
cheers,

John B.