SPD Sandal lessons

Old June 17th 05, 12:23 AM
Frank Drackman

"dgk" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:40:44 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:59:46 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
m...

Lesson #3. There is a small screw on each side of each pedal to adjust
the release tension. Asshole bike store left them at the tightest
setting and made no mention of them. Luckily Peter Cole and others did
mention it so I now know to have them set much looser for sandals.

Why blame the LBS? I can't imagine that they played with the setting.

That is the problem. They were set at the tightest. I think that,
given I'm new at this, they should have been adjusted to the middle,
or at least they should have mentioned that there WAS an adjustment
and talked about the pros and cons. That's why I like dealing with a
store and not just getting a package of stuff from
Nashbar-Performance-Supergo...

That is not to imply that I don't like getting packages of stuff from
NPS. In fact, I expect one soon. Plus my new bike workstand from EBAY.

I must be dense because I am still confused. Are you saying that you
expect
the LBS to go thought each box of pedals/equipment and make adjustments to
the default settings? Didn't the pedal come with instructions? Every
pair
that I have purchased come with information concerning legal issues,
warranty, installation, adjustment, etc. If you are new, why didn't you
ask
them about installation/setup issues?

I'm sure that there were instructions and I should have asked for
them, but they also should have given them to me without asking. If
someone just buys the pedals and leaves with them, fine. But if they
do the install then they should ask how I want them set up given that
I don't know enough to ask.

You cleared up my confusion. If they installed the pedals, and they knew
that you were new, then of course they should have given you advice and the
written directions.

Old June 17th 05, 12:26 AM
Frank Drackman

"Peter Cole" wrote in message

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is, when you're starting out, you don't know what you don't
know.

Flat pedals don't require any "setup" so why should clipless?

When I bought my first pair of clipless I did so at my LBS. I was shown
various pedals, with a recommendation, which I accepted. I had release
explained and how to adjust it, cleat angle and how to estimate it
initially, warnings about knee pain, warnings about practicing unclipping,
etc. The mechanic at the LBS installed the pedals on my bike, installed
cleats on my shoes (purchased at another LBS, since they didn't stock my
size), adjusted tension, and sent me on my way with everything I needed,
including all the information. That was almost 10 years ago, and I still
have (& use) those pedals.

Oh, the LBS was Harris Cyclery, and the mechanic was Sheldon Brown.

And that's how it's supposed to be done.

You are correct. I made the false assumption that the OP purchased the
pedal in a box, took them home, and installed them himself.

lessons! Antimatter Unicycling 2 December 1st 04 03:22 AM
need lessons mjssis Unicycling 3 August 18th 04 05:36 PM
Road rage incident & lessons learned andrew UK 16 April 28th 04 09:22 PM
Police learn lessons... Colin Blackburn UK 84 March 23rd 04 07:45 PM