Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

Old May 9th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes? (Feedback)

On Sun, 08 May 2016 10:04:06 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-05-07 22:02, John B. wrote:
rOn Sat, 07 May 2016 12:51:05 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-05-06 18:41, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 07:16:18 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-05-05 19:05, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 13:16:20 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

After some rides with a new HG-81 cassette and a new KMC X.93-10 it
seems that the shifting is not quite as fast as with HG-62. Also
noisier. But this I won't fuss about. Weeds do not shred away through
the inside quickly enough, resulting in the occasional chain skip.
Probably because of the big aluminum spider. Oh well, a brief stop and a
Swiss army knife fixes that.

HG-62 is tough to buy in 36T, only a shop in England had one in stock in
mid-April. 34T on a 29" MTB I didn't want to do, getting older ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

use some Valvo trans lube break the rig in...

It's broken in alright by now.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cassettes-C...36&by=Category

Jenson is where I bought the cassette.

somebody break your leg ? 14-32 .....

32T on a 29" MTB in this area is no fun at all. I ride with a low
cadence where some riders call me Mr.Diesel-legs but there were hills on
yesterday's ride I could not have gone up without 36T.

Can't you just walk into a bicycle shop and buy a 11-36 cassette? I'm
running a 12-36 (home made smallest cog) and that is what I did.

You can but they all did not have the HG-62 with 36T. For the newer
cassettes they wanted way more money than Jenson, so ...

Don't you get a discount? My bloke gives me a 15% discount on parts
and promises a 20% on a new bike, depending, of course, on the price
range of the bike.

Mine gives me 10%. But $16 for a pair of organic brake pads miues 10% is
still more than $3-7 for a pair of nice ceramic-based ones online. And a
$50+ cassette minus 10% is still more than one for $32 online.

Gee, $16 is a lot of money in the U.S. It sounds as though your
economy is heading down the tubes. :-)

This kind of thinking is exactly how most Americans amass a mountain of
debt. "Ah, those $60/person/month cell phone bill, peanuts. $80 gym
membership? Chump change". Yeah, right.

Strange that you would say that. Unless, of course, your brake pads
wear out rapidly. Mine, both for V-brake and Caliper, last a year or
so, and frankly I wouldn't consider $16 a year (or 4 cents a day ) to
be an outrageous amount for the pleasures of riding a bicycle.

As for your other costs, $60 phone bill, my usual cost here would be
more in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 dollars. My wife talks more and
her's probably costs $15 a month. So make it $25 a month for My
immediate family.

As for $80 gym costs? Well, what would you reckon a gym costs,
figuring in cost pf real estate and building, machinery and equipment,
maintenance, help, insurance, etc.

Back in the old days a "gym" was a barn with a few iron bars and
weights and probably some dumb bells. Add in the cost of the full
length mirrors and probably a shower and it was pretty cheap to put
together.

But your $50 for a cassette seems kinda high. I bought a 9 speed
cassette a couple of months ago and I don't remember it being that
much. As I remember (always a hazardous practice) I paid in the
neighborhood of $25 for a 11-32 cassette. A thousand baht is about 28
dollars and if I had paid more then that I'm pretty sure that I would
have remembered.

AFAIK (also always a hazardous place) Thailand is cheaper when it comes
to this stuff. 9-speed is a different ball game, mine is 10-speed and
yes, they run above $50 at local bike shops. So I buy online, as does
almost any higher-mileage rider around here. Even the rich folks, and
especially those. There is a reason why they got rich.

It is generally difficult to compare prices in one country with
another country as transportation, place of manufacturer, etc., all
enter into the calculation but I use Amazon prices as an indicator of
whether I am being charges an unrealistic price here in Thailand and
Amazon lists a "Shimano CS-5700 105 10-Speed Cassette" for as low as
$29.99, not so far off my $28.00.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 9th 16, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

This kind of thinking is exactly how most Americans amass a mountain of
debt. "Ah, those $60/person/month cell phone bill, peanuts. $80 gym
membership? Chump change". Yeah, right.

Strange that you would say that. Unless, of course, your brake pads
wear out rapidly. Mine, both for V-brake and Caliper, last a year or
so, and frankly I wouldn't consider $16 a year (or 4 cents a day ) to
be an outrageous amount for the pleasures of riding a bicycle.

Yep, brake pads last many months, if not years for me too.

As for your other costs, $60 phone bill, my usual cost here would be
more in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 dollars. My wife talks more and
her's probably costs $15 a month. So make it $25 a month for My
immediate family.

Mine is $25 / month.

As for $80 gym costs? Well, what would you reckon a gym costs,
figuring in cost pf real estate and building, machinery and equipment,
maintenance, help, insurance, etc.

Back in the old days a "gym" was a barn with a few iron bars and
weights and probably some dumb bells. Add in the cost of the full
length mirrors and probably a shower and it was pretty cheap to put
together.

Yeah, but these days people pay for 24 hour access and the "fun" of
sitting on the gym stationary bicycle and doing a "spin class", what
ever the hell that is. The roads are far too dangerous to ride a
bicycle you see, so they drive to the gym and endanger those who risk
life and limb by riding on the road.

--
JS
Old May 9th 16, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James wrote:
snip

Yeah, but these days people pay for 24 hour access and the "fun" of
sitting on the gym stationary bicycle and doing a "spin class", what
ever the hell that is. The roads are far too dangerous to ride a
bicycle you see, so they drive to the gym and endanger those who risk
life and limb by riding on the road.

Around here with the Québec winters spinning classes are a way to train
that is a bit less boring than the trainer in the basement. I hate them
and prefer skiing to cross train but do some spinning just the same. It
beats starting from scratch every spring.

Some, probably most people taking the classes do them for weight loss and
wouldn't ride a bike outside anyway. Spinning classes are geared toward
these people and not really toward cyclists. But since I have a gym
membership anyway, they're cheaper than these Toguri type training sessions
with road bikes and video of the TDF routes.

--
duane
Old May 9th 16, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

This kind of thinking is exactly how most Americans amass a mountain of
debt. "Ah, those $60/person/month cell phone bill, peanuts. $80 gym
membership? Chump change". Yeah, right.

Strange that you would say that. Unless, of course, your brake pads
wear out rapidly. Mine, both for V-brake and Caliper, last a year or
so, and frankly I wouldn't consider $16 a year (or 4 cents a day ) to
be an outrageous amount for the pleasures of riding a bicycle.

Yep, brake pads last many months, if not years for me too.

As for your other costs, $60 phone bill, my usual cost here would be
more in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 dollars. My wife talks more and
her's probably costs $15 a month. So make it $25 a month for My
immediate family.

Mine is $25 / month.

Out of curiosity do you pay for incoming calls in Australia? We don't
here but in Singapore they pay for both sides of the conversation.

As for $80 gym costs? Well, what would you reckon a gym costs,
figuring in cost pf real estate and building, machinery and equipment,
maintenance, help, insurance, etc.

Back in the old days a "gym" was a barn with a few iron bars and
weights and probably some dumb bells. Add in the cost of the full
length mirrors and probably a shower and it was pretty cheap to put
together.

Yeah, but these days people pay for 24 hour access and the "fun" of
sitting on the gym stationary bicycle and doing a "spin class", what
ever the hell that is. The roads are far too dangerous to ride a
bicycle you see, so they drive to the gym and endanger those who risk
life and limb by riding on the road.

Admittedly I never took a "spin class" but I really wonder whether
sitting there spinning is as good an exercise as climbing a steep hill
in one or two gears higher then you are comfortable.

I used to do a training thing that was a repeated hill climb. Start in
your highest gear and climb as far and as fast as you can, coast back
down and select one gear lower and hit it again as hard as you can,
coast back and repeat until you either run out of gears or finally
climb the hill. If you finally climb the hill pick out a steeper or
longer hill for next time.

It adds new meaning to the term "rubber legs" :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 9th 16, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I never knew there were indoor motorcycle trainers until
this morning:
http://www.metalworkingworldmagazine.../2016_03_-may/

Lead article in that link.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 9th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

John B. wrote:

On Sun, 8 May 2016 00:06:00 +0100, (Roger Merriman)
wrote:

John B. wrote:

On Fri, 6 May 2016 22:52:12 +0100,
(Roger Merriman)
wrote:

big snips

which triple?

My old MTB with 22/32/44 and 11-34 and 2.1 tyres give 17-104 inch range.

Gear inches are a product of the circumference of the driven wheel and
tire size makes a difference. As I said with my crank and cassette I
get a range of 116 - 23.

eagle is a MTB system, it does have a good range compared to other 1x
systems and about even to 2x systems. But triples have bit more range,
seems to work out at about two extra gears, where they are depends on
wheelsize/chainrings. if I put that old 9 speed drive chain on a
29er/27.5+ that would give 119-19inch gear range.

Since the eagle is a MTB system that what i'm comparing it too rather
than the narrower range road systems.

snip

Roger Merriman

The problem I have with either a "compact" or single chain ring system
is that I never seem to be able to find the "perfect gear". On the
other hand with a triply I can usually find a combination that suits
me. My Phuket Bike has a 10 speed 12-32 with a 44-32-22 chain rings
that gives me 27 separate gear ratios from 96 to 23. One of those will
usually be "right" :-)

My road bike is a triple and 7 speed at that, plus CX so has fairly wide
range so you can end up a little between the gears.

the MTB's though are fine both the 3x9 and the 2x10 the double is
slightly better for keeping the cadence most of the time.

Roger Merriman
Old May 9th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

£35 $50 +for a cassette? that a fair old mark up, Deore is £30ish for
10speed £20 for 9speed and £15 for 7 speed, in the local (london) shops

and this both the chain stores and the Local Bike shop. I like having
local shops and thus use them.

the old 9speed MTB is my commute/town bike and with gritty and often wet
weather, I get 800ish miles per chain and 1700ish miles per cassette,
which is more than I used to get from the roadie FG/SS bike to be
honest.

Roger Merriman
Old May 9th 16, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

I was quoted $50-55 for 10-speed with 36T cog. Jenson had it for $32.
The free ship limit there was $50 so I added an MTB tire I always wanted
to try (CST Rock Hawk). We use the same strategy at Amazon which
recently upped the min free ship total to $49. We add in stuff from our
"will soon be needed" list but only enough to get above that limit. This
leaves the option to add the next item in case we urgently need
something else later.

and this both the chain stores and the Local Bike shop. I like having
local shops and thus use them.

So do I and thus elected to pay $100 more for my MTB versus online. But
that does have limits. When the price difference exceeds 25% I go online.

the old 9speed MTB is my commute/town bike and with gritty and often wet
weather, I get 800ish miles per chain and 1700ish miles per cassette,
which is more than I used to get from the roadie FG/SS bike to be
honest.

Assuming this is a road bike you must be riding harder than I do. On the
road bike I get more than 4k miles out of a cassette but not on the MTB.
A cassette lasts 2-3 chains like in your case, just more miles also for
chains. Despite my bikes being loaded down with stuff pretty much all
the time. I am a stickler though when it comes to chain maintenance,
they get good care here.

Old May 9th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

On the road bike I use KoolStop for Cyclocross bikes. A painful
$15-20/pair but they last thousands of miles. I meant the MTB where the
local organic pads for $16 are gone within 500mi and the ceramic-based
ones from China for $3 last 800-1000mi. Now I can't find these Chinese
ones anymore, hurumph, grumble ...

As for your other costs, $60 phone bill, my usual cost here would be
more in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 dollars. My wife talks more and
her's probably costs $15 a month. So make it $25 a month for My
immediate family.

Well, that's Thailand. Europeans get better deals as well. This is
because in the US we have the old Missy Bell monopolies back. I have a
3rd party pay-as-you-go plan for $8/mo but that's for very low users.
Under 30min/month and no data or Internet. With Internet that would pop
to about $38/mo.

As for $80 gym costs? Well, what would you reckon a gym costs,
figuring in cost pf real estate and building, machinery and equipment,
maintenance, help, insurance, etc.

The point is that people do not need this if they do classic gymnastics
and use their bicycles a lot. My dad was a very sporty guy all the way
up to very old age and never saw a gym from the inside. But he did
manage to break the frame of a bike :-)

Back in the old days a "gym" was a barn with a few iron bars and
weights and probably some dumb bells. Add in the cost of the full
length mirrors and probably a shower and it was pretty cheap to put
together.

Now they are ritzy places with TVs, soothing music and luxury car
parking out front.

[...]

And $40 is what you'd pay if you'd walk into a local store out he

https://www.rei.com/product/807888/s...speed-cassette

So I usually buy this sort of stuff online.

Old May 9th 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Folks,

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cassettes-C...11%2d36&by=Cat
[...]

that as I said in last post if a fair old markup, the LBS sure more than
online but not 25%.

the old 9speed MTB is my commute/town bike and with gritty and often wet
weather, I get 800ish miles per chain and 1700ish miles per cassette,
which is more than I used to get from the roadie FG/SS bike to be
honest.

Assuming this is a road bike you must be riding harder than I do. On the
road bike I get more than 4k miles out of a cassette but not on the MTB.
A cassette lasts 2-3 chains like in your case, just more miles also for
chains. Despite my bikes being loaded down with stuff pretty much all
the time. I am a stickler though when it comes to chain maintenance,
they get good care here.

no it's a old MTB which now retired from climbing hills, takes me too
work and such, which means it spends most of life on gravel tracks, the
chain is clean but i'm quick and heavy, the bike is 44lb before I load
it up.

Roger Merriman

CS-HG50-9 Squat'n Dive Techniques 9 August 22nd 08 03:30 AM
Campy cassettes - any difference? Olebiker Techniques 3 February 11th 06 10:57 AM
170's to 150's = not much difference - 150's to 127's = whoa!...big difference! babyivan Unicycling 11 November 15th 05 07:27 PM
Quality difference between HG50 and HG70 shimano cassettes davy Techniques 5 August 11th 05 08:46 PM
Wanted 9 sp cassettes Bman Marketplace 2 September 22nd 04 01:24 AM