bicycle camping

Old June 13th 05, 01:43 AM
C.J.Patten

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.13.00.34.25.296225@firstnamelastn ame.com.invalid...

Self Propelled Sleeping Bag Warmer (If selected right can also be handy
for navigation, cooking, buying rounds, and encouragement on bad hills.
If selected wrong can lead to Bobbiting, but not with a KFS -- the knife
is too blunt.)

LMAO! HA!

My last SPSBW was ahem returned for a refund due to quality control
issues. shudder

Good ones seem few and far between these days. ;p

Old June 13th 05, 03:20 AM
Jim Smith

"C.J.Patten" writes:

Anyone here cycle camp?

I can't afford to credit-card camp so I'm looking at taking it all with me.

I bought a tent last year with car-camping in mind so it's a bit on the
large side... Mountain Hardwear HammerHead 3. (the HammerHead 2 would have
been better for a bike but I wanted something comfortable - I probably won't
outgrow this one...)

I think I'll definately have to replace my "BaseCamp XL" Thermarest with one
of the Pro-Lite variety... it's just way too bulky to carry when rolled up.

Cycling stuff aside (eg: I have a toolkit now, spare tube, patches etc) let
me ask these questions:

1) what's the MINIMUM camping gear you'd bring with you to go bike camping?

For the spring and summer, a lightweight nylon tarp is a nice
alternative to a tent. A sleeping bag is essential, one of those 3/8
inch blue foam pads can substitute for a thermarest. A Pepsi can
stove ( http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml ) works
great for cooking, no need for anything heavier unless you are melting
snow. A one quart aluminum pot, plate, cup, spoon. toothbrush,
washcloth, handtowel, Dr. Bronners peppermint soap ( Don't drink soap!
Dilute! Dilute! ) toilet paper, lighter, swiss army knife.

2) as above but with the added requirement: "to be reasonably comfortable"
3) what would be considered a "luxury" bike-camping kit selection without
getting stupid about it? (eg: a porta-potty is ridiculous)

For luxury add one of those traditional aluminum espresso makers and a
Zassenhaus Turkish coffee grinder, a 12 inch frying pan and spatula,
small cutting board, a Japanese vegetable knife, some sort of folding
chair, a bath towel, inflatable pillow.
Old June 13th 05, 03:38 AM
C.J.Patten

"Jim Smith" wrote in message
"C.J.Patten" writes:

For the spring and summer, a lightweight nylon tarp is a nice
alternative to a tent. A sleeping bag is essential, one of those 3/8
inch blue foam pads can substitute for a thermarest. A Pepsi can
stove ( http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml ) works
great for cooking, no need for anything heavier unless you are melting
snow. A one quart aluminum pot, plate, cup, spoon. toothbrush,
washcloth, handtowel, Dr. Bronners peppermint soap ( Don't drink soap!
Dilute! Dilute! ) toilet paper, lighter, swiss army knife.

I LOVE that soda-can stove!!! What a great idea. At first glance on that
site, it says it uses denatured alcohol. Any idea if it'll use standard
automotive gasoline? (or aviation fuel - 100LL or JetA)

For luxury add one of those traditional aluminum espresso makers and a
Zassenhaus Turkish coffee grinder, a 12 inch frying pan and spatula,
small cutting board, a Japanese vegetable knife, some sort of folding
chair, a bath towel, inflatable pillow.

HA! Now that IS luxury.

I saw a ThermaRest last year that "converted" into several things - matress,
chair etc.

One thing I'm very fond of is items that serve multiple purposes - if they
do each job well. (the convertarest seemed to...though I've seen so-called
multi-purpose gizmos that were absolute garbage)

Thanks for the info! GREAT stuff!

Chris

Old June 13th 05, 04:16 AM
Jim Smith

"C.J.Patten" writes:

"Jim Smith" wrote in message
"C.J.Patten" writes:

For the spring and summer, a lightweight nylon tarp is a nice
alternative to a tent. A sleeping bag is essential, one of those 3/8
inch blue foam pads can substitute for a thermarest. A Pepsi can
stove ( http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml ) works
great for cooking, no need for anything heavier unless you are melting
snow. A one quart aluminum pot, plate, cup, spoon. toothbrush,
washcloth, handtowel, Dr. Bronners peppermint soap ( Don't drink soap!
Dilute! Dilute! ) toilet paper, lighter, swiss army knife.

I LOVE that soda-can stove!!! What a great idea. At first glance on that
site, it says it uses denatured alcohol. Any idea if it'll use standard
automotive gasoline? (or aviation fuel - 100LL or JetA)

Yeah, I think they are great. I have made a bunch of them, my
favorite is made out of the small V8 juice cans. Lots of info at:
http://zenstoves.net/ Everyone says not to try using gasoline, as it
could explode. I am taking their word for it. Around here (midwest)
most convenience and drug stores sell HEET gas tank anti freeze which
works great for fuel ( 12 oz for $1.50 mostly methanol ) or Home Depot
sells quarts and gallons of denatured alcohol.

For luxury add one of those traditional aluminum espresso makers and a
Zassenhaus Turkish coffee grinder, a 12 inch frying pan and spatula,
small cutting board, a Japanese vegetable knife, some sort of folding
chair, a bath towel, inflatable pillow.

HA! Now that IS luxury.

I have found that by using some of the lightweight stuff (like a tarp
instead of a tent) It ends up being practical to bring some
extravagant stuff.
Old June 13th 05, 06:41 AM
vernon levy

I LOVE that soda-can stove!!! What a great idea. At first glance on that
site, it says it uses denatured alcohol. Any idea if it'll use standard
automotive gasoline? (or aviation fuel - 100LL or JetA)

Don't even dream of using gasoline if you don't want a confalgration.

Simple burners tend to be fuel specific and the soda can stove will only
work well with denatured alcohol though high strength vodka, gin and the
like will work too :-)

Old June 13th 05, 09:05 AM
Peter Clinch

C.J.Patten wrote:

I bought a tent last year with car-camping in mind so it's a bit on the
large side... Mountain Hardwear HammerHead 3. (the HammerHead 2 would have
been better for a bike but I wanted something comfortable - I probably won't
outgrow this one...)

Frankly it's a bit huge for solo cycle camping. It weighs more than
twice as much as the Spacepacker 1 we use two up and will eat up huge
reserves of space. And though you've got plenty of space in the inner,
there's bugger all porch space for storing wet stuff, a bit of a Bad
Idea in a tent for UK conditions IMHO.

I think I'll definately have to replace my "BaseCamp XL" Thermarest with one
of the Pro-Lite variety... it's just way too bulky to carry when rolled up.

Not necessarily. If your gear is mainly in panniers that leaves you a
rack with pannier lid outriggers which you can bungee tent and mat to.
The problem with overloading the back is weight, not bulk, so it should
be okay there. Though if you're carrying a portable mansion for 3 then
that will offset things a bit, but I'd say a rethink of your tent
options will be a better way to save weight and bulk.

1) what's the MINIMUM camping gear you'd bring with you to go bike camping?

It depends how minimalistic I want to be. Having "camped" (okay, slept
rough...) on a hitch hiking trip with an umbrella and, errrr, that's it,
that gives one an idea of how little one /can/ take.

2) as above but with the added requirement: "to be reasonably comfortable"

Tent, as small and light as can be comfortable for you
Sleeping bags up to (or rather down to) the temperatures (this summer
that'll possibly be a 5 season polar bag...).
Decent mats
Change of clothes
lightweight stove and accompanying pot(s)
roll up water bag

3) what would be considered a "luxury" bike-camping kit selection without
getting stupid about it? (eg: a porta-potty is ridiculous)

To the previous, add

some more cooking and eating kit to allow for more cooking options
thermarest chair kit, especially if like me you suffer a bit sitting
unsupported on the ground for any length of time
bigger tent
selection of toiletries to aid freshening up
bigger choice of spare clothes

--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 13th 05, 09:18 AM
A.C.P. Crawshaw

Tilly wrote:

When I did the Raid Pyrenees my kit list was: tent, sleeping bag,
sleeping mat, stove, saucepan, mug, bowl, spoon, penknife, 1st aid
kit, wash bag, cycle shorts, normal shorts, 2*cycle shirts, t-shirt,
sweater, fleece, cycle shoes, sandals, underwear, wash bag, towel,
tool kit, maps, guide book, camera, cash, credit card, passport, lock,
head torch, water bottles, GPS.

I'd add bog paper if camping overseas, foreign campsites don't normally provide it.

Alan

Old June 13th 05, 09:32 AM
JohnB

"C.J.Patten" wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

Let's split this into two issues: weight and bulk. Cycle touring, weight
is always an issue and it's a good thing to minimise it. If you use
panniers, etc. on the bike then bulk is also an issue. But I'm a
long-time confirmed believer in bicycle trailers, which greatly reduce
the bulk issue. I've done many thousands of miles with a trailer,
carrying stuff you just wouldn't fit in a set of panniers. Of course,
the weight of the trailer chassis itself needs to be factored in.

If you go trailer you can take thicker, more comfortable, more insulant
bed mat. You can also take bulkier clothing (fleece, quilted, etc)
which in cool places can be very welcome.

I would take
* tent (mine is a little tiny Vaude thing which weighs 2.2lbs)
* sleeping bag
* bedmat
* gas stove and at least one spare cartridge
* change of cycling clothing
* warm clothing for evenings
* camera
* phone

Mind you it's some years since I've been cycle camping.

Hadn't even considered a trailer until you suggested it. The two you
recommended look slick.

NO NO NO.

If you use a trailer you will take *far* too much.
If you have the space you will *always* fill it, however good your
intentions not to.

Use one set of small panniers at the very most.

John B
Old June 13th 05, 10:10 AM
Buck

On 06/12/2005 23:20:36 "Maggie" wrote:

C.J.Patten wrote:

1) what's the MINIMUM camping gear you'd bring with you to go bike
camping?

I'd bring a gun to shoot myself in the head. I hate camping, I hate
camping with a passion.

ROFL

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 13th 05, 10:48 AM
Maggie

C.J.Patten wrote:
BTW: I read another thread where you mentioned the area you cycle. I spent a
summer in Belleville NJ and did some work in Nutley and Hoboken. I loved
the area - though taking a wrong turn and ending up in Newark isn't my idea
of a fun ride.

Chris

Well Chris, you are the first person I know that "summered in
Belleville". Hopefully you were "not" on vacation. Nutley and
Belleville are nice town. Different from each other in alot of ways
but both nice. Hoboken is a great place to go out for a night. I go
there alot for dinner or to a club. My friend as an apt. in Hoboken.
With a view of the skyline. It's nice. BTW, Ending up in Newark is not
something you want to do. Especially if you do not know where you are
going.

Maggie.