Ride of Silence 2006 FYI

Old February 15th 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Default Ride of Silence 2006 FYI

In article . com,
"NYC XYZ" writes:

Great idea.

Can't believe we don't have one in NYC!!!

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.
And it contradicts & negates the "riding is enjoyable and healthy"
message that so many riders wish to convey. I mean, might as well
throw in a marching pipe band playing Amazing Grace, and lay some wreaths.

But the thing I dislike most about it is: it classifies road users,
of whom all types -- cyclists, drivers, pedestrians (maybe especially
pedestrians) etc, suffer fatalities and life-altering injuries.
I'm all for people doing what they can to stop all that, but it's
gotta be good for /everybody/.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 15th 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Tom Keats wrote:

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.

Way to demonstrate affectatiousness! eg

Bill "too bad neither is a proper word?" S.

Old February 15th 06, 07:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

In article ,
"Sorni" writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.

Way to demonstrate affectatiousness! eg

Bill "too bad neither is a proper word?" S.

I coins 'em as I needs 'em.

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be
master-- that's all."
-- Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass"

cheers,
Tom

Old February 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

On 2/14/2006 10:50 PM Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
"Sorni" writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.

Way to demonstrate affectatiousness! eg

Bill "too bad neither is a proper word?" S.

I coins 'em as I needs 'em.

Right on. Show them who's boss. Take no prisoners.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old February 15th 06, 04:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

"Sorni" writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.
Way to demonstrate affectatiousness! eg

Bill "too bad neither is a proper word?" S.

I coins 'em as I needs 'em.

Right on. Show them who's boss. Take no prisoners.

Anyways the whole black crepe & black armbands thing is
so incongruous with the joy of riding. But I guess it
can be an effective tactic to get bike lanes installed.

cheers,
Tom

Old February 15th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Tom Keats wrote:

I dunno, it sounds rather affectatiously demonstrative to me.
And it contradicts & negates the "riding is enjoyable and healthy"
message that so many riders wish to convey. I mean, might as well
throw in a marching pipe band playing Amazing Grace, and lay some wreaths.

Yes, I had that feeling too, for like a second, but you know how our
culture is -- the squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. Or, to
borrow Oscar Wilde, "bad publicity" is better than no publicity. If
the ride raises awareness, then it's done its job.

A lot of times folks are hit by "honest drivers" who simply didn't see
them, despite the victims having all their lights, flags, etc. --
precisely because there isn't an awareness that others are on the road,
too. I know this from first-hand experience out on the water; I got
cap-sized by a police boat because they just didn't expect anyone else
about. Why, on ARBR our own Jeff Grippe was badly hit (I'm talking
hospitalization) by a woman in an SUV who claims she just didn't see
him. The problem is that motorists look almost exclusively for other
cars, and maybe pedestrians if they're especially conscious (!), but
that's about it.

But the thing I dislike most about it is: it classifies road users,
of whom all types -- cyclists, drivers, pedestrians (maybe especially
pedestrians) etc, suffer fatalities and life-altering injuries.
I'm all for people doing what they can to stop all that, but it's
gotta be good for /everybody/.

This is another good point. I didn't think about it at all; such a
ride does create (or, rather, I should say further reinforce -- since I
think the notion is already current) the impression that cycling is
somehow dangerous. But, all things considered, it's probably the
lesser of two evils: you either have near-total ignorance of cyclists
and their rights or you have the awareness that cyclists do get injured
or killed.

cheers,
Tom

Old February 15th 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

wrote:
As far as motorist awareness of cyclists is concerned,
don't assume there is anything that cyclists can do to
raise it to a safe level. Simply assume that motorist
awareness of cyclists is preposterously low and
always will be.

Not necessarily true.

A motorist is less likely to collide with a person walking
and bicycling if more people walk or bicycle. Policies that
increase the numbers of people walking and bicycling appear
to be an effective route to improving the safety of people
walking and bicycling.

Source: Inj Prev 2003;9:205-209 © 2003 BMJ;
Publishing Group Safety in numbers: more walkers and
bicyclists, safer walking and bicycling; P L Jacobsen;
http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/9/3/205

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old February 16th 06, 03:04 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Mark Hickey wrote:
(Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:

A motorist is less likely to collide with a person walking
and bicycling if more people walk or bicycle. Policies that
increase the numbers of people walking and bicycling appear
to be an effective route to improving the safety of people
walking and bicycling.

That's not been my experience, though it may be in some areas.

I lived in China for a couple years, and believe me - the cars hit
pedestirans and cyclists all the time. 90% of the total carnage I've
ever seen was during those couple years.

That may be true, but I'll bet the number of injuries per mile
per person cycling are a lot less than somewhere like NYC.

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY