Does Punctured Tyre Need Replacement?

Old April 30th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia

Default Does Punctured Tyre Need Replacement?

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to take Widders on his first big tour. We leave Friday.

Today I was practising the folding and unfolding and unmounting of the
trike, and noticed, as Sod's law would have it, that one of the wheels
was already flat. It hadn't been flat the last time I stored the bike, a
few days ago, and the bike is flaming new.

Upon examination, I found a small, almost invisible puncture in the
inner tube, opposite the valve. Checking the inside of the tyre, I found
that a small wooden thorn or splinter had clear gone through both tyre
and tube, at the same place. This is relatively comforting, as I feared
a repetition of the Flyzipper scenario - 11 exploding tubes with no
visible cause.

I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the tyre? I need to
know this fast as that would mean combing all of Paris to get the same
spec of tyre by this afternoon, since tomorrow is bank holiday and I'm
off before dawn on Friday.

Thanks

EFR
Ile de France
Old April 30th 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark T[_2_]

Artemisia writtificated [some stuff snipped]

Upon examination, I found a small, almost invisible puncture in the
inner tube, opposite the valve. Checking the inside of the tyre, I found
that a small wooden thorn or splinter had clear gone through both tyre
and tube, at the same place.

I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the tyre?

No, though make sure you've removed all of the thorn.

I only replace tyres if there is a cut/tear in the rubber that exposes the
inner tube or the canvas stuff under the rubber. This is quite rare.
Old April 30th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia

Mark T wrote:

No, though make sure you've removed all of the thorn.

I only replace tyres if there is a cut/tear in the rubber that exposes the
inner tube or the canvas stuff under the rubber. This is quite rare.

Thanks, that saves me a lot of precious time.

Cheers,

EFR

Old April 30th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

Artemisia wrote:
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to take Widders on his first big tour. We leave
Friday.
Today I was practising the folding and unfolding and unmounting of the
trike, and noticed, as Sod's law would have it, that one of the wheels
was already flat. It hadn't been flat the last time I stored the
bike, a few days ago, and the bike is flaming new.

Upon examination, I found a small, almost invisible puncture in the
inner tube, opposite the valve. Checking the inside of the tyre, I
found that a small wooden thorn or splinter had clear gone through
both tyre and tube, at the same place.

At risk of stating the obvious, that is how punctures usually happen:
something goes straight through the tyre and tube - a thorn, or shard of
glass or stone or metal.

This is relatively comforting,
as I feared a repetition of the Flyzipper scenario - 11 exploding
tubes with no visible cause.

I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the tyre? I need
to know this fast as that would mean combing all of Paris to get the
same spec of tyre by this afternoon, since tomorrow is bank holiday
and I'm off before dawn on Friday.

Few cyclists replace a tyre after *every* puncture. It would be a waste of
money and materials. In my opinion, a tyre does not need need replacing or
repairing if the hole or cut is so small that it doesn't cause the tyre to
bulge when inflated.

~PB

Old April 30th 08, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Ian Smith

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:15:24 +0200, Artemisia wrote:

I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the tyre? I need to
know this fast as that would mean combing all of Paris to get the same
spec of tyre by this afternoon, since tomorrow is bank holiday and I'm
off before dawn on Friday.

Normally not.

I replace a tyre if the puncture is so big that it has cut the
threads in the tyre, or if it is the third puncture in unusually
rapid succession (since that indicates that the tyre is worn out,
aged, or otherwise deficient).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 30th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

Artemisia wrote:

I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the tyre?

As has already been said, no. But one thing to consider for the future
is a tougher tyre, which makes a puncture less likely in the first place
with associated faff fixing it. The Marathons that (IIRC) are standard
on the Scorpion are pretty tough, but there is a "Plus" version which is
about as close to bombproof as pneumatic tyres get.

However, they do weigh more than what you've got already, and the
rolling resistance is a bit higher, so you choose, you lose. It's also
worth considering that the front wheels don't have to come off to fix a
puncture, which makes the whole exercise a lot less painful.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 30th 08, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
PoB

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

| However, they do weigh more than what you've got already, and the
| rolling resistance is a bit higher, so you choose, you lose.

Relative to the weight of a Scorpion?

I was swithering about pluses on my GT because of the weight penalty, I then
thought that a couple of ounces in 40lbs (and yes, I know the double penalty
for wheels) - I'd leave out a Mars bar or two....more room for the now
(almost) redundant puncture kit...

pOB

Old April 30th 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

PoB wrote:
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

| However, they do weigh more than what you've got already, and the
| rolling resistance is a bit higher, so you choose, you lose.

Relative to the weight of a Scorpion?

I was swithering about pluses on my GT because of the weight penalty, I then
thought that a couple of ounces in 40lbs (and yes, I know the double penalty
for wheels) - I'd leave out a Mars bar or two....more room for the now
(almost) redundant puncture kit...

pOB

In my experience the Marathon Plus do have higher rolling resistance.

I have a bike that came new with Primo Comets, which were fairly light
(for their 1.5" width) and rolled easily. After a few flats in a few
weeks I decided to switch to the Marathon Plus 1.75's, which have not
flatted once despite my general ignorance of what my tires are rolling
over... but the Marathon+'s do not coast like the Comets did.

This bike is my urban/commuting ride, so I will accept the sloggier
tires for the lack of punctures but I decided against putting the M-P's
on my longer-distance bike.
~
Old May 2nd 08, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Artemisia wrote:
[...]

Invest a couple of Euros into a simple patch kit and repair the tube.
Unless a tube is torn or has a really big hole, it is suitable for
repair. Properly applied, a glued patch will last for years.

Old May 6th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
::dom::[_62_]

Artemisia Wrote:
Hi all,

snip..........I have a replacement tube. But do I need to replace the
tyre? I need to know.....
Thanks

EFR
Ile de France

Don't throw the punctured tube away either.... get a puncture repair
kit, costs the same as a new tube, and stick a patch on it. I've had 5
punctures this week :O and have a pile of tubes waiting for repair...
I'll patch them if front of the telly with a cuppa tea this evening

--
::dom::

Flat, yes. Punctured, no. Michael[_5_] Techniques 0 December 8th 07 04:20 PM
Punctured tyres Sepulchre UK 16 September 1st 07 11:25 AM
Punctured my Tube again! brownboy13 Unicycling 14 March 10th 06 09:22 AM
Punctured my Tube again! brownboy13 Unicycling 0 March 1st 06 08:27 AM
Alternatives to a patch kit for punctured tubes? Me Techniques 83 April 29th 05 07:45 AM