WHOOPS! Mountain Unicycling Injuries

Old August 19th 12, 06:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Mountain Unicycling Injuries

"a number of once MUni-enthusiasts have dropped out of the sport because of injuries"

"Adam Masters, the 2007 Southeast MUni Fest Champion of the Kitsuma Challenge near Old Fort, created the new sport of Bellyak-ing (half kayaks where you lay on your belly and paddle) after a crash on a particularly intense section of trail severely injured his knee"

Mike

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...NEWS/120819827

The sport of riding on mountain bike trails on 1 wheel

The art of balance on rough terrain

By CHRISTINE BOUSH
For Halifax Media Group

Published: Sunday, August 19, 2012 at 4:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Friday, August 17, 2012 at 2:22 p.m.

FAIRVIEW-- Christine Ray, 14, careened down the side of the mountain on her unicycle, chasing a diminishing sliver of trail in a forest increasingly camouflaged by dusk.

Jeff Ray is part of a growing number of unicyclists who have discovered that it is feasible to ride mountain biking terrain on one wheel.
Photo by Christine Boush/special

Giving MUni a try

By CHRISTINE BOUSH
For the Herald-Journal
Despite the fact I was fully supported on both sides by mountain unicyclist (MUni) enthusiasts Bill Spears and Jeff Ray, my perch on the mountain unicycle seemed incredibly precarious. I lurched backward as I took my first pedal stroke, sending the unicycle out from underneath me. I squeaked and tightened my death-grip on my support crew.
The experience made the past several hours of watching Spears, Ray and Christine, Ray's 14-year-old daughter, move effortlessly through the woods on their all-terrain unicycles seem even more incredible.
"There is a steep learning curve," Spears reminded me. "It feels impossible at first, but if you can get past it you are hooked."
It was hard for me to fathom that I could ever master the task, but I knew at one point I had felt similar things about other outdoor pursuits. My first time whitewater kayaking I swam so much I was second-guessing my purchase of a boat. Six months later, I was paddling off 30-foot waterfalls. Like any outdoor adventure, it takes a passion bordering on obsession to progress from rookie to accomplished. You have to really want it to succeed.
All three of my MUni mentors have other hobbies and athletic pursuits, but when it comes down to it, MUni is their favorite.
"There's really nothing else like it," Christine Ray said. "I started in third grade and was just really stubborn about learning and wouldn't let anyone help me."
I had brought Amy Little, my co-conspirator in all adventures, to see if either of us could pass muster on the unicycle. Her resume as a dancer and Pilates instructor offered her the advantages of superior balance and body awareness that left Spears and Ray instantly praising her poise on the MUni.
"That's amazing for your first time," Spears said. "You have great balance, and you'd pick it up in no time."
Spears said it takes an estimate 5,000 revolutions on a unicycle before it starts to click. The best way to start is by using a smaller wheel for faster rotations and holding onto a support such as a wall or a railing.
"I can see that if I could manage to get a few consistent pedal strokes, I'd be addicted," Little said. "It really takes focus and balance and a good bit of fortitude."
While Spears and Ray had enough persistence to teach themselves, they both said having instruction and helpful tips would decrease the learning curve substantially.
"We have extra unicycles and are happy to teach and help anyone that is interested," Ray said. "We want to grow the sport."
I give the adventure rating of MUni a medium plus. While you can take the sport to the extreme, you can also stick to flat paths and easy terrain. You also can't beat Ray and Spears' offer of instruction and equipment for a free introduction.

Her father, Jeff Ray, and fellow mountain-unicycle (MUni) enthusiast Bill Spears followed closely behind, their legs moving like synchronized eggbeaters as they weaved through the technical terrain.

Mountain unicycling, or MUni, involves riding a unicycle over the same trails as mountain bikes, from easy gravel paths and dirt roads to technical climbs and steep descents.

The sport dwelled in near total obscurity throughout the '80s and '90s, but Spears said a growing number of unicyclists have discovered that it is feasible to ride mountain biking terrain on one wheel. Despite increased awareness, Spears and Jeff Ray said there still aren't nearly enough participants in the adventure-sport.

"I really want more people to get into the sport for the companionship," Jeff Ray said. "I recently joined a running club just so I could have more of a social experience while working out."

Both Spears and Jeff Ray said they are willing to help anyone learn the sport, from lending equipment to giving lessons. They said they had lost count of the number of people who had tried it once and told them it was impossible.

"It takes a lot of stick-to-itiveness to make it past the initial learning curve," Spears said. "People quit and get frustrated before they reach that thrill of riding those first few feet."

In addition, a number of once MUni-enthusiasts have dropped out of the sport because of injuries or to pursue other adventure sports.

Adam Masters, the 2007 Southeast MUni Fest Champion of the Kitsuma Challenge near Old Fort, created the new sport of Bellyak-ing (half kayaks where you lay on your belly and paddle) after a crash on a particularly intense section of trail severely injured his knee.

"I still love MUni," Masters said. "I just can't afford to reinjure that knee, so I don't really ride anymore, but I do still get the itch."

Jeff Ray said injuries like the one Masters had are avoidable by choosing a more conservative approach to off-terrain escapades.

"If you've seen MUni videos of individuals such as Kris Holmes', it's easy to think that mountain unicycling is just about big drops and gnarly descents," Jeff Ray said. "People get injured in any adventure sport when they are pushing the limits, but neither myself or my kids have ever had a bad accident."

Jeff said his daughters actually introduced him to the sport when they joined the Fairview (N.C.) Elementary unicycling team.

"It's a fun sport to get into," Christine said. "There is really nothing else really like it."

The petite teen has experienced the same lack of understanding or appreciation of the sport among her peers.

"Sometimes the boys will call me a ‘circus freak' or whatever," Christine said. "But my friends who know how hard it is think it's pretty cool."

She said performing at school is much scarier than riding through the woods especially on the 7-foot-plus triple-tier. When she rides it, her head is 12 feet in the air.

"I was practicing taking the three-wheel unicycle over a ramp and pitched forward off it instead of landing it," Christine said. "Riding in the woods isn't scary and is super fun, except when I have to go uphill."

MUni and unicycling in general require the rider to constantly be pedaling. Riding uphill, Spears said, requires the utmost in balance, strength and concentration.

Adam Masters, the 2007 Southeast MUni Fest Champion of the Kitsuma Challenge near Old Fort, created the new sport of Bellyak-ing (half kayaks where you lay on your belly and paddle) after a crash on a particularly intense section of trail severely injured his knee

Spears said the equipment has improved significantly since then thanks to MUni athletes such as Holmes developing unicycles that address the specific needs of maneuvering off-road terrain.

A standard mountain unicycle today is built with strong hubs, large knobby tires, high-grip pedals and rugged frames. They are also now equipped with rim or disc brakes with the lever mounted under the tip of the saddle. The brake is a huge asset in preventing excessive speed while descending.

"It's incredibly important to be able to control speed downhill," Jeff Ray said. "Otherwise you'll end up performing aerial acrobatics that end painfully with a collision with a tree, rocks or the ground."

Spears and Jeff Ray's passion for MUni makes them ideal ambassadors for the sport. Since 2007 they have helped Masters host the Asheville MUni Festival.

"We have had riders come from Texas, Massachusetts, Colorado, Tennessee and Kentucky," Spears said. "But each year it seems to get a little smaller." MUni fest will be in September at Bent Creek.

They said their goal remains to rekindle the sport and rebuild the MUni community.

"We both have a number of mountain unicycles and will help anyone get started in the sport that has an inclination," Jeff Ray said. "I would love nothing more than to have people to ride with."

The Asheville Mountain Unicycle Web site is outdated but they can be reached at: http://wncunicycle.webs.com.

Editor's note: Spears can be reached at and Jeff Ray can be reached at .