Opinion on Brooks B17 Saddle

Old October 2nd 03, 03:51 PM
Matt Cahill

Default Opinion on Brooks B17 Saddle

I currently ride a Brooks Professional saddle on my touring bike.
However, I moved the Brooks Pro to a fixed gear I'm putting together
so I need a new saddle for my touring bike.

I'm between the Brooks B17 or the Brooks Champion Flyer (with
springs). I'm thinking a little cheap suspension from the sprung
saddle couldn't hurt. But I've never tried one so I don't know.

I generally have my bars a little lower than my saddle. I don't
really care about extra weight on the touring bike.

What do you think ?
Old October 2nd 03, 06:26 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I have both, a regular B17 on my tourer and a sprung B17 (Champion
Flyer) on my MTB. The regular is enough for paved roads, even the
40-grit pavement here in SC.

How much cushioning does your tush need? If you're going to be carrying
your own load (racks and panniers) you can always offset the additional
weight of the springs by lightening your load. That's why bikepacker's
aren't usually "gramophobic" when it comes to their machine.

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

See you on the road.
Chris
Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old October 2nd 03, 06:37 PM
Lewis Campbell

I have both of these saddles (Brooks B17 or the Brooks Champion Flyer) and
they are both very comfortable to sit on.

The Champion does, however, make the ride noticeably smoother.

--
Lewis.

om...

Old October 2nd 03, 07:58 PM
Naveed

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:51:49 -0700, Matt Cahill wrote:

I currently ride a Brooks Professional saddle on my touring bike.
However, I moved the Brooks Pro to a fixed gear I'm putting together so
I need a new saddle for my touring bike.

I'm between the Brooks B17 or the Brooks Champion Flyer (with springs).
I'm thinking a little cheap suspension from the sprung saddle couldn't
hurt. But I've never tried one so I don't know.

I generally have my bars a little lower than my saddle. I don't really
care about extra weight on the touring bike.

What do you think ?

I have the chmpion flyer and have not used the b17. The only major issue i
have with the flyer is that the springs hang pretty low cutting into space
used for your rack. I could see this being an issue with taller trunk
bags. Also, my seat bag jut looks silly hanging below the springs rather
than nicely wedged under the seat. That is not a functional issue though.
Old October 3rd 03, 03:03 AM
Ed

In article , Matt Cahill
says...

I'm between the Brooks B17 or the Brooks Champion Flyer (with
springs). I'm thinking a little cheap suspension from the sprung
saddle couldn't hurt. But I've never tried one so I don't know.

I have an unsprung leather saddle and a Champion Flyer. The difference between
the two is barely noticable. The CF does not feel 'sprung' or bouncy, it just
gives a little more than the other saddle on bumps.

Also this depends on your weight. A light person probably could not feel any
difference.

Old October 3rd 03, 05:40 PM
Steve Knight

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:17:30 -0600, wrote:

there is a new seat that uses the same idea
http://www.saddleco.com/flowmain.html the few people I have read who have it
love it even over a brooks. as it lets the saddle breath. if nothing else it is
interesting. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t17855.html

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 3rd 03, 08:59 PM

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:40:27 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:17:30 -0600, wrote:

there is a new seat that uses the same idea
http://www.saddleco.com/flowmain.html the few people I have read who have it
love it even over a brooks. as it lets the saddle breath. if nothing else it is
interesting. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t17855.html

-----------------------

The above post by Steve Knight has nothing to do with my post, nor
with my comment upon the Brooks B17 or Champion Flyer. I have been
irrelevantly referenced to some comment on saddleco; unknown to me.

Kindly be more careful with your use of associations, quotes, message
replies, Steve.

Bruce Ball

Old October 4th 03, 04:27 AM
Steve Knight

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:59:20 -0600, wrote:

Kindly be more careful with your use of associations, quotes, message
replies, Steve.

sorry about that. I did not mean to. Just thought it was interesting.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
See
Old October 4th 03, 12:27 PM
Tim McTeague

Steve Knight wrote:
there is a new seat that uses the same idea
http://www.saddleco.com/flowmain.html the few people I have read who
have it love it even over a brooks. as it lets the saddle breath. if
nothing else it is interesting.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t17855.html

-----------------------

The above post by Steve Knight has nothing to do with my post, nor
with my comment upon the Brooks B17 or Champion Flyer. I have been
irrelevantly referenced to some comment on saddleco; unknown to me.

Kindly be more careful with your use of associations, quotes, message
replies, Steve.

Bruce Ball

Jeez, Bruce, take a pill. Steve was only suggesting a similar type of
saddle, or at least a new approach. You are not the only one reading this
thread and others may benefit from his observations. Usenet replies often
go very far afield and at least this one stayed on comfortable saddles. Now
that you are aware of Saddleco perhaps you could check it out. Who knows,
it may be a better mousetrap. I sort of doubt it but I find more
information beats less overall. To return to the thread, I tried a Brooks
Swift and found the center section too hard on my perineum and sent it back.
I now use a Fizik Aliante and like it a lot. Oh no, I mentioned another
brand...don't get mad!

Tim McTegue