A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Yet another lemming pedestrian in London



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 17th 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 334
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

The comment at the top says it all!

QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html
Ads
  #2  
Old September 17th 18, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,804
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:10:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The comment at the top says it all!

QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html


If only she had worn a helmet.

  #3  
Old September 17th 18, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 334
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:37:22 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:10:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The comment at the top says it all!

QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html


If only she had worn a helmet.


The bike's front light could have done with one!
  #4  
Old September 17th 18, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,349
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

On 17/09/18 19:10, wrote:
The comment at the top says it all!

QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the
people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.


Correction. Everybody and their dog would blame the cyclist. Looks like
a good reason for cyclists to overtake on the left.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html

Ah, the standard motorist call of "she came out of nowhere". Yes, if the
vehicles the mc was overtaking were stationary, the rider is contributory.
  #5  
Old September 18th 18, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 129
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

TMS320 wrote:
On 17/09/18 19:10, wrote:


The comment at the top says it all!

QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the
people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.


Correction. Everybody and their dog would blame the cyclist. Looks like a
good reason for cyclists to overtake on the left.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html

What was needed was a cyclists' defence organization to let Paul Dacre know
in no uncertain terms that Charlie Alliston had better lead a long and
accident-free life, or Dacre wouldn't see them coming.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))
  #6  
Old September 19th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 170
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

On 17/09/2018 22:29, TMS320 wrote:

On 17/09/18 19:10, wrote:


The comment at the top says it all!


QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt the
people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.


Correction. Everybody and their dog would blame the cyclist. Looks like
a good reason for cyclists to overtake on the left.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html

Ah, the standard motorist call of "she came out of nowhere". Yes, if the
vehicles the mc was overtaking were stationary, the rider is contributory.


Ah... but was he aggressively "overtaking" or much more benignly, just
"filtering"?

I doubt it makes much difference to his victim.

As you imply, stopped traffic is... er... stopped. Pedestrians, in my
submission are entitled to take note and advantage of the stillness and
temporary non-mobility of stopped traffic. Let's all be careful of what
we wish for. I am sure that many would share my view that we do not wish
to end up with a NYC-style law against crossing the road on foot
anywhere but at the traffic lights on the corner right down at the end
of the street.

  #7  
Old September 19th 18, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,349
Default Yet another lemming pedestrian in London

On 19/09/18 11:59, JNugent wrote:
On 17/09/2018 22:29, TMS320 wrote:

On 17/09/18 19:10, wrote:


The comment at the top says it all!


QUOTE: Pedestrian was at fault. If this was a Cyclist no doubt
the people on here would be blaming them instead. END QUOTE.


Correction. Everybody and their dog would blame the cyclist. Looks
like a good reason for cyclists to overtake on the left.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...steps-him.html


Ah, the standard motorist call of "she came out of nowhere". Yes,
if the vehicles the mc was overtaking were stationary, the rider
is contributory.


Ah... but was he aggressively "overtaking" or much more benignly,
just "filtering"?

I doubt it makes much difference to his victim.


Well, first you would have to define them.

As you imply, stopped traffic is... er... stopped. Pedestrians, in
my submission are entitled to take note and advantage of the
stillness and temporary non-mobility of stopped traffic.


Quite. Overtakers and filterers must be taken to task if it goes wrong.

However, the central point is that most of the comments give the
motorcyclist the benefit of doubt where there would be a general clamour
to lynch a cyclist.

Let's all be careful of what we wish for. I am sure that many would
share my view that we do not wish to end up with a NYC-style law
against crossing the road on foot anywhere but at the traffic lights
on the corner right down at the end of the street.


It would be interesting to know whether NYPD makes any effort to enforce
it these days.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police hunt cyclist that killed a pedestrian in London MrCheerful UK 23 February 13th 17 01:33 PM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist in London MrCheerful UK 53 March 15th 16 05:35 PM
Cyclist speaks out over killed pedestrian in London Alycidon UK 5 March 13th 16 02:53 PM
16 per cent of London cyclists admit to hitting a pedestrian Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 75 November 13th 12 04:57 PM
CTC London Newsletter: Monday, 19 December 2011 - What is happeningto cycling in Greater London? [email protected] UK 1 December 20th 11 01:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.