SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 13th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good
lights throughout the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of
course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash
mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from
a little ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our
credit union to cash a check, then a bit beyond it into sort
of semi-rural roads. We returned by different roads. We were
on some quiet residential streets, some former farm roads
that are now short cuts to housing developments, a bit on an
arterial road or two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few
miles were on lanes that were obviously too narrow to share
(like 9 feet wide) so we rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except
a couple who were clogging things up while they seemed to be
looking for entrances to some obscure businesses). And there
was absolutely no indication that anyone had any trouble
seeing us.

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo
powered lights, but neither of us had them on.

Some people are not so lucky in the lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD5P_LHEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbiRxoWR4

You can find videos of almost anything on the web.

It's called facts. Two university mates of mine were rear-ended in
the lane. One lost a kidney, the other had a ruptured spleen. At
least in one case the driver stuck around, something that doesn't
appear popular anymore these days.

Permission to stick head back into sand granted.

BTW, do you really ride a bike? On the road? Are you telling us that
you never take the lane?

If I don't take the lane in some places, its dangerous.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...c1ab8d08_b.jpg
Most of my commute this morning was riding in the middle of the road,
which was basically the only place where one could ride. If I got
far right, cars would have been squeezing by with about two inches of
clearance, if any. Yes, I know you would take a gnarly trail or not
ride at all for fifteen years or move to some cardboard town in the
middle of Nevada nuclear test site to get away from it all. For the
rest of us folks who live in population centers, however, taking the
lane is not only reasonable under certain circumstances, it is the
only safe thing to do. Permission to stick head back in sand
granted.

Of course I take the lane where needed and where allowed under
California's AFRAP laws. Like yesterday in Sacramento when a Fedex truck
block part of the road. Sure enough, a prick in a red Scion honked and
"squeezed through" at speed. Caught him at the next light but he didn't
want to listen to me or even look at me. "Mini road rage" is how many
accidents are caused. All it takes is some low-life behind a wheel.

Needless to say, the most enjoyable part of that trip was, of course,
the 25mi section on a long bike path.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/