Bike Building advice needed...

Old December 30th 05, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike Building advice needed...

Hi - new to the forum. Hoping to learn as I go.

First off, before Xmas, I privately bought a Mountain Cycle MOHO STX
(hardtail) frame (in nice condition) at what I felt was a great price
for a second hand frame of this type and, looking around, it certainly
seems to have a good reputation.

Secondly, since I was in a stupid rush to get going, I let the same
person sell me a pair of slightly used Kona Project 2 forks (the triple
butted jump type) - only trouble was, because I'm a rather trusting
soul and something of a novice to the MTB scene, he managed to sell
them to me for £60. A rash move, I know. Now, I think I've since
seen the same thing for £60 and less not only on the net, but also in
the bike shop where my seller works during the day. Not so pleased
about this, since I was told they were worth £85 new. I am wondering
now though... am I making some mistake here? Is it possible I'm seeing
a lesser product for £60? Could these forks I have be worth more than
£60 new?

Okay, well, moving on and making the best of it, if the worst is the
case, I'm thinking of just selling the Konas at a loss and just forget
all about them (or maybe keep them as spares). I think I'll probably
lose here and I'll just have to be more careful in future. I now want
to buy some suspension type forks, which I think would compliment the
MOHO frame a little better than the rigid types.

I already own a Univega MTB which is a nice bike with a cromoly frame.
I like the components and think, combined with the MOHO frame, will
work well. My aim is to upgrade slowly, but the initial transfer of
parts will get this bike going in the short term. I'm just eager to
ride the frame, you see.

My question really is what should I be looking for in second hand forks
- or is it perhaps a bad idea - do you think I should save up and buy
new in this critical area, no matter what? If used is okay - what
should I be aware of technically?

I don't have a great deal to spend and I'm finding my net searches
leading me through a confusing jungle of forks. I don't really know
what I'm looking at here - one set looks so much like another. Again -
what should I be looking for in terms of quality... Brands? Models?
Please? The same I'm finding with headsets too.

My riding conditions will mainly be on-road, but instead of building a
commuter, I decided to go for an MTB for the reason I already own a
Marin hybrid. I'm hoping to do some off roading, but it'll be more
tracks and toepaths, forest tracks etc, rather than the more extreme
stuff. I'm not into racing, downhill or jumping.

One more thing... does anyone think it'll work acceptably with the Kona
2s? They just seem awfully heavy, when the rest of the bike is
actually going to be quite light.... or won't this really matter? Were
they such a bad choice after all...?

Any suggestions will be helpful... just please don't slate me for my
first mistake (if I've got all that right about the prices?) I've
really suffered enough over this one and want to enjoy this new bike
without the bad feelings.

Cheers,

Varn

Old December 30th 05, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 29 Dec 2005 20:34:03 -0800, "Varney_The_Vampire_Biker"
wrote:

I already own a Univega MTB which is a nice bike with a cromoly frame.
I like the components and think, combined with the MOHO frame, will
work well. My aim is to upgrade slowly, but the initial transfer of
parts will get this bike going in the short term. I'm just eager to
ride the frame, you see.

Before you loosen any screws, get a pair of calipers (or tubing
diameter measuring implement of your choice) and check the OD of the
seat tube where the front derailleur mounts on each frame, and the
cable routing for the front derailleur. If it's not the same on both
frames, you'll need to do something about that issue. Chances are
good that the rest of the major components may be transferable as long
as both frames have the same type of brake mounting provisions. If
the Univega's existing front brakes are old-style cantis, it may be a
challenge to find a suspension fork that will work with them; you
might end up having to buy a V-brake setup and lever for the front.

My question really is what should I be looking for in second hand forks
- or is it perhaps a bad idea - do you think I should save up and buy
new in this critical area, no matter what? If used is okay - what
should I be aware of technically?

In a non-suspension fork, the main thing to look for any obvious sign
of damage or overstress. If it's straight and not cracked, it's
probably OK.

If you're looking for a suspension fork, there are so many models,
with so many ways of getting worn in places you won't detect by
inspection, that I'd really advise going with a new fork. Shop
around. Unless you're planning to do heavy jumping or downhill, the
simple ones are generally adequate...but the cheaper they are, the
crummier they get, in general.

I don't have a great deal to spend and I'm finding my net searches
leading me through a confusing jungle of forks. I don't really know
what I'm looking at here - one set looks so much like another. Again -
what should I be looking for in terms of quality... Brands? Models?
Please? The same I'm finding with headsets too.

Headsets are far less critical in my estimation; I've had good results
with ones all the way down into the basement of the league.

My riding conditions will mainly be on-road, but instead of building a
commuter, I decided to go for an MTB for the reason I already own a
Marin hybrid. I'm hoping to do some off roading, but it'll be more
tracks and toepaths, forest tracks etc, rather than the more extreme
stuff. I'm not into racing, downhill or jumping.

Okay, then a non-suspension fork or a basic adjustable-preload
suspension fork is probably adequate; many of these show up on eBay,
and a good portion of the suspension types have reviews at mtbr.com
for reference. Bear in mind that those reviews are from essentially
undocumented sources; it's possible for them to be entirely wrong, but
when you see multiple reports of trouble of a specific nature for a
given fork, I'd take that as a warning sign.

One more thing... does anyone think it'll work acceptably with the Kona
2s? They just seem awfully heavy, when the rest of the bike is
actually going to be quite light.... or won't this really matter? Were
they such a bad choice after all...?

The Kona fork would, in my estimation, be a perfectly good choice. It
may be just a bit of the beefy side, but just about any suspension
fork would weight considerably more and likely wouldn't be as strong.
If you want a lighter fork, though, I would consider the fact that you
probably won't reduce the weight by more than a half kilo, if that.

Any suggestions will be helpful... just please don't slate me for my
first mistake (if I've got all that right about the prices?) I've
really suffered enough over this one and want to enjoy this new bike
without the bad feelings.

Well, you probably paid effectively close to full price for the Kona
fork, but you might have done that had you shopped around without
asking first, so there's no worry on that account. Otherwise, the
main thing to remember is that you should check that everything will
fit before you start to transfer any bits. Make no assumptions;
compare the mounting points and cable routings point for point, and
plan on replacing the brake and shifter cables anyway. Save the old
cables with the old frame in case you decide to use it to build up a
beater or a second bike later on.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 30th 05, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack:

Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to reply in such detail.
Especially the weight issue on the forks and minimums for headsets.

I'm getting to thinking that I'll maybe use the Konas for a while and
think about suspension types when I've saved up more money. I think
it's maybe an opportunity to give myself thinking and research time on
getting good quality, while being able to get riding in the meantime.

Oh, I did actually buy a front mech, which was attached to the MOHO
frame already. The seller told me I'd need the wider diameter fixing -
but yes; I'll make sure I check the sizes on other components when I
come to do the transfer. The brakes I'm moving over are the V types
and the peg fixings are right for them both on the Kona's and at the
back.

I want to fit discs in future, and the Konas have an alternative fixing
for these, too. I'm told the Moho can be fitted with an adapter for
the rear disc mount.

Anyway - thanks again. I was on another forum before Xmas and some of
the replies I got were rather cruel and unhelpful. I feel a bit better
towards the Konas now - especially having looked at some of the
suspension prices!

Cheers,

Varn

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
First road bike - advice needed Greg Australia 3 August 12th 04 08:07 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
New Road bike advice needed.... Rob Woozle Australia 14 August 12th 03 01:53 AM