MOT passed today

Old May 12th 18, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default MOT passed today

On 12/05/2018 12:50, wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:35:29 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 12/05/2018 11:09,
wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 4:37:28 AM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

It is now £384 pa.

My last Premium was £190.

--
Bod

I will have to downsize the annual mileage from 10000 to 2000.

Mine is 3000. The longest single journey I do each year is 500 miles
these days.
I probably do more than that on my bike each year.

--
Bod
Old May 12th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

It is now £384 pa.

My last Premium was £190.

--
Bod

I will have to downsize the annual mileage from 10000 to 2000.

Geico discontinued their program where you get 75% off if you drive less than 2 miles for an entire month.

Old May 12th 18, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

It is now £384 pa.

My last Premium was £190.

I feel much better now. There was never much hope in Brexit keeping the pound down for long.

Old May 13th 18, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 12/05/2018 04:37, Bret Cahill wrote:
I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

One up to me I pay Zero VED, Zero tax and Zero insurance (this includes
full breakdown cover and tyre replacement).
All I pay for is petrol.
OK it is a Motability car but still at Zero my motoring costs must be
among the lowest possible
Old May 13th 18, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 12/05/2018 16:03, Bret Cahill wrote:

Geico discontinued their program where you get 75% off if you drive less than 2 miles for an entire month.

I think if I was driving less than 2 miles a month I would get rid of
the car
Old May 13th 18, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 13/05/2018 17:39, soup wrote:
On 12/05/2018 04:37, Bret Cahill wrote:
I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto
insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

One up to me I pay Zero VED, Zero tax and Zero insurance (this includes
full breakdown cover and tyre replacement).
All I pay for is petrol.
OK it is a Motability car but still at Zero my motoring costs must be
among the lowest possible

Your costs are the same as they would be for anyone else doing the same
mileage in the same sort of car and with the same sort of accident
record (or absence thereof).

It is the price which differs from the norm.

Old May 14th 18, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 13/05/2018 23:57, JNugent wrote:
On 13/05/2018 17:39, soup wrote:
On 12/05/2018 04:37, Bret Cahill wrote:
I still haven't recovered from paying less in auto
insurance than me.

I thought I had the lowest motoring costs on the planet.

One up to me I pay Zero VED, Zero tax and Zero insurance (this includes
full breakdown cover and tyre replacement).
All I pay for is petrol.
OK it is a Motability car but still at Zero my motoring costs must be
among the lowest possible

Your costs are the same as they would be for anyone else doing the same
mileage in the same sort of car and with the same sort of accident
record (or absence thereof).

It is the price which differs from the norm.

Tax payers pay his vehicle expenses, typical cyclist.

Old May 14th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Geico discontinued their program where you get 75% off if you drive less than 2 miles for an entire month.

I think if I was driving less than 2 miles a month I would get rid of
the car

That's probably why they got rid of the plan. I was the only one on it. I needed to haul 4 water bottles every month or so, so it worked out for awhile. Everything else was by bike.

An even lamer rational: In an emergency you could call Geico and start driving immediately. You lose whatever days you had accrued at the reduced premium but the vehicle was available 24/7. I don't know the actuarial data but you need a motor vehicle in an emergency about as often as you need a gun to shoot home invaders.

After the plan had been discontinued I got swimmers ear about 2:30 am. I never considered driving. I cycled to the ER where they always ask the question:

"How did you get here?"

In a lot of ER situations your answer to this question may determine who they treat first. Arriving on a bike obviously can't compete against arriving on a gurney.

I told the truth. Fortunately the ER only had a couple other patients and the doctor was a swimmer who knew ear ache pain first hand.

I was back home in the arms of Morpheus by 3:30 am.

Bret Cahill