What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

Old April 20th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

Default What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

On 2008-04-20, Bill Sornson wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 18, 7:27 pm, "Bill Sornson" allegedly wrote:

You didn't oil your chain for 15 years and now you make such a
big deal of it?

Please be more careful in your attributions. I did NOT write the
above.

Learn how to read attributions. The editing is unfortunate.
Nevertheless, the quoted text is not attributed to you.

When someone says, "Michael Press wrote:" and follows it with text,
I'm betting you'd want (expect) said words to be yours.

It's really not that complicated, Michael, but thanks for your
concern.

It has happened to me. Mostly I pass.
Look at the quote levels and know that it is not
attributed to you. Should someone mistakenly take
it as yours, then show them the quote levels. The
exact fact of the matter is that the line is not
attributed to you. For you to say so is to contradict
the true state of affairs.

Fact remains that someone I never heard of (the anonymous "tforms" person)
made a post that began with "Bill Sornson wrote:" followed by words that
were not mine (and no others). I simply asked this person to be more
careful in the future. (The quotes involved were completely innocuous; it
was more a heads up about proper posting format.)

That you would make a big deal of the technical difference (distinction is a
better word) between misattribution and misleading quoting says more about
you, I submit, than the issue at hand. I could understand if you were
directly involved in the exchange, but you were not.

Whatever. HAND.

This thread is a bit too silly even for me to get involved in, but
Bill's objection is upheld.

Quoting levels only mean anything if all the crap at the top is in place
so you can tell how many ''s mean who. Otherwise it's just so many
meaningless s littering the text.
Old April 20th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,

On 2008-04-20, Bill Sornson wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

By you

Quoting levels only mean anything if all the crap at the top is in place
so you can tell how many ''s mean who. Otherwise it's just so many
meaningless s littering the text.

but you choose not to count. Not that you should.
You should if you weigh in on a discussion of
quotation and attribution lines.

--
Michael Press
Old April 21st 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

Quoting levels only mean anything if all the crap at the top is in
place so you can tell how many ''s mean who. Otherwise it's just so
many meaningless s littering the text.

Indeed.

You are dreaming.

--