Cycling in Ottawa, Chapter 2

Old September 10th 16, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default Cycling in Ottawa, Chapter 2

Sometimes I think it would be folly to ask Ottawa city staff to organize a
****-up in a brewery.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-lanes-narrow-
1.3752700
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 10th 16, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/10/2016 7:59 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Sometimes I think it would be folly to ask Ottawa city staff to organize a
****-up in a brewery.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-lanes-narrow-
1.3752700

From the article: "...some cyclists using the bike lanes on Wednesday
said they were happy to have at least some dedicated space..."

IOW, any bike facility is a good bike facility?

FWIW, the major highway bridge half a mile from my house had narrow
lanes, low guardrails, no sidewalks, and was hostile to most cyclists
and all pedestrians. I rode it regularly (taking the lane, of course)
but I knew many cyclists who wouldn't ride it at all.

When it scheduled for replacement, I first checked on the plans and saw
that they did not plan to increase the width; so I mounted a lobbying
campaign. It took some persuasion, but they ultimately added about 8
feet to the width of the bridge. It's not marked as an official bike
lane or sidewalk; instead, the extra width is marked with angled hash
stripes, as in "You're not allowed to drive here." But it's a
tremendous improvement.

Oh, and the reason they didn't want to have any "official" sidewalk or
bike lane was because there are none at the approach to the bridge.
They said they feared some pedestrian would get hit while walking the
road edge and sue them, claiming the sidewalk on the bridge lured them
into walking where there is no sidewalk.

The mind boggles...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 10th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:nr1550$p65$1@dont-
email.me:

From the article: "...some cyclists using the bike lanes on Wednesday
said they were happy to have at least some dedicated space..."

IOW, any bike facility is a good bike facility?

I am waiting for them to be called on it by the provincial government, which
should be asking, "What did you do with all that money we gave you for
cycling infrastructure?"
Old September 10th 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-10 07:49, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote in news:nr1550$p65$1@dont-
email.me:

From the article: "...some cyclists using the bike lanes on Wednesday

It could not hurt to shorten that wait time. 'nuff said :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/