Dropout blues - rear wheel pulling out

Old August 2nd 05, 04:19 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Dropout blues - rear wheel pulling out

"SuperFly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gday,
I have an older italian steel frame which I just got second hand and
manage to keep pulling the rear wheel out of the dropouts. The dropouts
are almost parallel to the chain line which probably doesn't help.
Anyway, I read thru previous posts and the comments seem to be
distilled to

1. ensure the axle isn't protruding thru the dropouts preventing QR
binding properly
2. use a steel nutted QR such as shimano as they bind better than the
non steel alloy ones.
3. insert a binding washer ( a serrated washer ) between frame and
dropouts
4. score the dropouts as a means of last resort
5. use track axle/nuts

You didn't mention if the drop outs are chromed. If they are it is tougher
for the QR to get a bite.
Hi-E QR's had a spacer that would "cut into" the drop out thereby ensuring a
good bite. Maybe you could find some on E-Bay or search around. I had some
but can't put my hands on them now.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old August 2nd 05, 02:31 PM

SuperFly wrote:
Gday,
I have an older italian steel frame which I just got second hand and
manage to keep pulling the rear wheel out of the dropouts.

snip

5. is the wise options just to kiss my ( ideal barring the wheel
falling off thing) frame goodbye, and look for a different less life
threatening one?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Hi Will,

if you get as far as 5, you could try what I did to rescue an old
Cannondale frame on which the chainwheel side dropout was a bit
"eroded". I replaced the replacable der. hanger, tried different
skewers, serrated washers etc., but no luck. The problem was still
happened occasionally, normally while climbing hard out of the
saddle.The inside face of the chain side chainstay was begining
seriously cut up by the small sprocket, and the frame was in danger of
getting beyond repair.

Rather than chuck out the frame (which is a good fit for me, and I like
a lot), I got a small piece of flat steel with two holes in it - I
think it was a spare mounting widget from a rear carrier I bought. I
fitted an Allan key-headed bold into one of the threaded dropout holes,
and removed the QR nut. One of the holes in the steel goes over the
head of the Allan bolt, the other over the skewer, and I then replaced
the QR nut. The piece of steel is held in place flat alongside the
outer face of the dropout by the QR nut, and it ties the skewer rod in
place (pulling against the Allen-headed bolt) so it can't pull out
forwards. I filed down the ends of the steel so it didn't stick out
beyond the profile of the dropout while in place.

OK, it's ugly, and it kind of defeats some of the purpose of the QR,
but it works. You can still remove the rear wheel without tools, just
loosen the QR nut a bit more until the the steel can be eased off the
head of the bolt.

It's been in place a few thousand commuting miles now, and no problems
since. There's no wear on the QR skewer either, so so far, so good.

I'm sure you can find/drill out somthing similar.

Hope this helps.

bookieb.

Old August 4th 05, 04:36 AM
SuperFly

Gday,
Thanks to all (esp Alex) who replied. I'm much encouraged as I'm pretty
attached to this frame. Have gone and bougth a higher end shimano
skewer ( its actually xt but I figure ( hope) it should be as good as
the road stuff.) Hopefully this will fix the problem. The S. Brown
piece was certainly pretty illuminating. The bike is off the road at
the moment as pulling the dropout has resulted in a groove on the
inside of the right dropout and also the wheel locknuts have been worn
smooth(ish). I'm getting thsi sorted out and hopefully all will be well
and I won't have to manufacture some sort of bracket as some of the
more resourceful folks have done.
Anyway thanks again,
Will

Old August 4th 05, 05:50 AM
Jeff Starr

On 3 Aug 2005 20:36:43 -0700, "SuperFly" wrote:

Gday,
Thanks to all (esp Alex) who replied. I'm much encouraged as I'm pretty
attached to this frame. Have gone and bougth a higher end shimano
skewer ( its actually xt but I figure ( hope) it should be as good as
the road stuff.) Hopefully this will fix the problem. The S. Brown
piece was certainly pretty illuminating. The bike is off the road at
the moment as pulling the dropout has resulted in a groove on the
inside of the right dropout and also the wheel locknuts have been worn
smooth(ish). I'm getting thsi sorted out and hopefully all will be well
and I won't have to manufacture some sort of bracket as some of the
more resourceful folks have done.
Anyway thanks again,
Will

An XT skewer for the rear may be too long for road use. The standard
road spacing is 130mm and mtb spacing is 135mm.

Why not get the correct one?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 4th 05, 01:48 PM

Jeff Starr wrote:
[...]

Not really inappropriate for road use.It won't hurt anything if the end
of the skewer protrudes a bit. Or, you could cut it down with a hacksaw
or dremel tool.
I had the same wheel slippage issue with my Tommasini (chromed dropout
faces), but using an older Dura Ace skewer and tightening it
sufficently solved the problem. I also concur with the poster who
suggested you have the alignment of the dropouts checked to insure that
they are parallel.

Old August 4th 05, 08:05 PM
Jeff Starr

On 4 Aug 2005 05:48:24 -0700, "
wrote:

Jeff Starr wrote:

An XT skewer for the rear may be too long for road use. The standard
road spacing is 130mm and mtb spacing is 135mm.

Why not get the correct one?

Not really inappropriate for road use.It won't hurt anything if the end
of the skewer protrudes a bit. Or, you could cut it down with a hacksaw
or dremel tool.
I had the same wheel slippage issue with my Tommasini (chromed dropout
faces), but using an older Dura Ace skewer and tightening it
sufficently solved the problem. I also concur with the poster who
suggested you have the alignment of the dropouts checked to insure that
they are parallel.

That's assumming that there are enough threads to tighten it
sufficently. Without seeing it, I don't know.

Sure, it won't hurt anything, if he can tighten it enough.

Life is Good!
Jeff

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
For Trade: 700c Spin Rear Wheel in Boulder for normal spoked wheel Joe Marketplace 0 September 27th 04 12:38 AM
Ritchey Zero system rear wheel cliff Techniques 3 June 3rd 04 09:48 PM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM
New 700c Rear Wheel (for Tour Easy) Jon Meinecke Recumbent Biking 5 September 27th 03 12:40 AM