Gratuitous stack?

Old July 25th 03, 06:23 PM
Rick Warner

Default Gratuitous stack?

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message . com...
Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
and a stem that points down says "racer"... even

Simply put, "dork" factor.

Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.

Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)

- rick
Old July 25th 03, 06:38 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
scott wrote:
Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

Even better, why not run a threaded headset with a longer stem that's at
a reasonable height, looks svelte, and as the appropriate classic 7-shape?
--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting
Old July 25th 03, 08:40 PM
DiabloScott

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticro.../www.ifbikes.-
com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

You could still flip the stem with all those spacers and bring the
handlebars up even higher! That photo is just an advertising shot -
they're not recommending anything.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Old July 26th 03, 12:38 AM
Chuck Davis

"Rick Warner" wrote in message
om...
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message

. com...
Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
and a stem that points down says "racer"... even

Simply put, "dork" factor.

Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.

Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)

- rick

Were you then passed by someone 20 years your senior on her recumbent? If
so, did she ring her bell? Just kidding.

Chuck Davis

Old July 26th 03, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

somebody- Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also. BRBR

When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider paceline,
feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy on a
MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 27th 03, 02:36 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider paceline,
feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy on a
MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

Long, long ago and far, far away, some guy rode with us that had set some kind
of record for San Francisco to Los Angeles. To us he was sort of a visiting
superstar.

He had the whole nine yards (for that time): cycling shoes, sewup tires, very
very light bike, chamois-lined shorts.....

I showed up with my Panasonic with 1 3/8 clinchers, flip-flops, an old pair of
shorts, luggage carrier and a huge Brooks saddlebag.

Stayed with the guy all the way from Honolulu out past Sandy Beach and back.

He was duly impressed, saying that he was setting a pace to "keep us honest",
but said he practically fell over when I pulled out the half-gallon glass jug
full of water from my saddlebag and started chugging on it.

Actually, he practically killed me on that ride....but the glass jug was a nice
touch....and it worked...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old July 27th 03, 04:15 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

RE/
When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider
paceline,
feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy
on a
MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

Stayed with the guy all the way from Honolulu out past Sandy Beach and back.

He was duly impressed, saying that he was setting a pace to "keep us honest",
but said he practically fell over when I pulled out the half-gallon glass jug
full of water from my saddlebag and started chugging on it.

Actually, he practically killed me on that ride....but the glass jug was a
nice
touch....and it worked...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

I just added a bell to my commuter/racing Pinarello. This really annoys
the guys I ride with on Saturdays .

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old July 27th 03, 06:07 PM
Robin Hubert

"ari" wrote in message
.. .

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On 25 Jul 2003 10:23:32 -0700, Rick Warner
wrote:
Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed Forgie

stem
and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.

Hmm...a sandal-wearing, upward-stem Rick? We must be related...

Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)

Why do people get off on passing other riders when the speed someone rides
at is usually a matter of context (end of a long ride? first mile? heart
rate monitor training?). Can't ride with my heart rate pegged for the
duration of my ride just to keep old balding farts from feeling good about
themselves

reminds me of those kids on a bike path who race you on their bike, then
turn around and go back to the picnic table their family is at.

Amen, brother!

I just smoked some kid whom wanted to race me on an electric scooter the
other day!
Actually, I was ****ed he was out on the street with it.

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 28th 03, 05:28 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I just smoked some kid whom wanted to race me on an electric scooter the
other day!
Actually, I was ****ed he was out on the street with it.

Ugh. I've been trying to find some way to screw up scooter riders. Can't
just throw something in the spokes...

Gas scooter riders are the worst. 2-stroke motors, plus they're noisy as
f00k.

It's "who wanted to race" by the way.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 28th 03, 02:16 PM
Rick Warner

"ari" wrote in message ...

Why do people get off on passing other riders when the speed someone rides
at is usually a matter of context (end of a long ride? first mile? heart
rate monitor training?).

And knowing if we 'got off' on passing someone you would have to know
our context ;-) Personally, I rarely 'get off' on passing someone unless
they've done something stupid first to **** me off. Last fall a couple of
young ladies I ride with got into having me chase down and pass
the young racers that passed us on hill climbs *if* the racers had
done something to **** them off; the 'getting off by proxy' phenomenon.

Can't ride with my heart rate pegged for the
duration of my ride just to keep old balding farts from feeling good about
themselves

Hey, I have all my hair, and it is thick :-) Not that there is anything
wrong with balding ;-)

- rick