What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

Old April 10th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

Can someone point me to a website that has directions (and pictures)
on how to "tune up" a bicycle?

I am not a serious rider like most of you.
I have a 12 speed Panasonic that I bought like 16 years ago.
I use it to ride around the neighborhood, I never oiled it, or done
any type of maintenance.
Never had a problem with it, I actually don't even shift the gears, I
just ride it by the water to enjoy the weather, nothing serious.

But I have not ridden the bicycle for 2 years.

I want to start again, but since I haven't ridden it for 2 years, do I
need to do some type of tune up?
I called a bicycle place asked them, they said a tune up is $70, but
they wouldn't tell me what is involved.
My brakes are fine (Im riding slowly by the water anyway, heck, I can
stop by putting my foot down!)
The only thing I think I need to do is oil it (since I never done it
before) and also change the wrap around the handle bar. Right now its
a sponge-like material and it hurts the palm of my hand when I lean on
it.

Is there a website that can show me step by step where to oil, etc.

Thanks
Old April 10th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Dear T,

Click on a bike part at this Park Tool site, and you'll get some idea
of what can be done:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

It's easy to pump the tires up.

Replacing a rusted chain or control cable is a little harder.

Replacing axle, bottom bracket, or headset bearings is harder.

If padded tape on a handlebar isn't enough, try a pair of gloves with
palm pads.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 10th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-04-10, wrote:
Can someone point me to a website that has directions (and pictures)
on how to "tune up" a bicycle?

I am not a serious rider like most of you.
I have a 12 speed Panasonic that I bought like 16 years ago.
I use it to ride around the neighborhood, I never oiled it, or done
any type of maintenance.
Never had a problem with it, I actually don't even shift the gears, I
just ride it by the water to enjoy the weather, nothing serious.

But I have not ridden the bicycle for 2 years.

I want to start again, but since I haven't ridden it for 2 years, do I
need to do some type of tune up?

Just pump up the tyres and oil the chain.

If you're feeling adventurous, pick it up and spin the wheels round by
hand. Check they spin freely and don't make a grinding noise or
anything. If they do you might want to clean them out and replace the
grease, but you need special spanners for that.

I called a bicycle place asked them, they said a tune up is $70, but
they wouldn't tell me what is involved.

They might be thinking of regreasing all the bearings. Otherwise they
probably just check it over and adjust the gears. Maybe they true the
wheels if they need them.

My brakes are fine (Im riding slowly by the water anyway, heck, I can
stop by putting my foot down!)
The only thing I think I need to do is oil it (since I never done it
before) and also change the wrap around the handle bar. Right now its
a sponge-like material and it hurts the palm of my hand when I lean on
it.

Is there a website that can show me step by step where to oil, etc.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com. Accept no substitutes.

You just put the oil on the chain. More details:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html.

Nothing else usually needs oiling, although put a bit here and there if
things like derailleurs and brake calipers are actually stuck and look
like they need it.
Old April 10th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Click on a bike part at this Park Tool site, and you'll get some idea
of what can be done:
*http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

Thanks for the link.
I took a look at cleaning the chain, looks complicated!
I thought I would just put a few drops of WD-40 on the chain and thats
it.

It's easy to pump the tires up.

I just took a look at the bike, and even though I have not touched it
in 2 years, the tires are not cracked.
They are totally worn/bare, but thats fine with me, since Im not doing
any serious riding.

Replacing a rusted chain or control cable is a little harder.

The chain does not look rusted.

Replacing axle, bottom bracket, or headset bearings is harder.

Would I need to do that?

If padded tape on a handlebar isn't enough, try a pair of gloves with
palm pads.

I dont have tape, I have a sponge like material on the handle bars.
Im thinking of replacing that with the padded tape.
Old April 10th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I want to start again, but since I haven't ridden it for 2 years, do I
need to do some type of tune up?

Just pump up the tyres and oil the chain.

Cool.

If you're feeling adventurous, pick it up and spin the wheels round by
hand. Check they spin freely and don't make a grinding noise or
anything. If they do you might want to clean them out and replace the
grease, but you need special spanners for that.

I probably wont do that.
Even if they make a grinding noise, all that would do is slow the
bicycle down, make me work a little more to pedal (I assume)...I have
no problems with that.

I called a bicycle place asked them, they said a tune up is $70, but
they wouldn't tell me what is involved.

They might be thinking of regreasing all the bearings. Otherwise they
probably just check it over and adjust the gears. Maybe they true the
wheels if they need them.

What bearings? You mean the tires? (like what you just described
above)
Adjust the gears? I dont need that, I shift the gears like once over
a ride (when I go up the hill on the way home)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com. Accept no substitutes.

Nice site.

You just put the oil on the chain. More details:http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html.

Can't I just:
1. Have someone lift the bike by the seat (so the rear wheel is off
the ground)
2. Turn the pedal and hold a napkin against the chain (to get rid of
the oil thats there)
3. Then turn the pedal again, and put a few drops of WD-40 on the
chain

Wouldnt that work?

Although the part on the rear wheel that the chain connects to (the
place where the chain 'shifts') looks a bit grimy (but then again, it
has ALWAYS looked grimy).
Is that the derailer?
I probably need to clean that also somehow.
or maybe not.

Old April 10th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:
Click on a bike part at this Park Tool site, and you'll get some idea
of what can be done:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

Thanks for the link.
I took a look at cleaning the chain, looks complicated!
I thought I would just put a few drops of WD-40 on the chain and thats
it.

I'm sure that if there's any regular readers of the automotive groups
that I frequent here, they'll recognize that I'm trying to restrain
myself from ranting here... WD-40 is NOT a lubricant! I can't stress
that enough! It's a mixture of (a little) very light oil and (a lot of)
solvent. It's great for its intended purpose, which is displacing water
from parts that aren't supposed to be wet but are. It's also a halfway
decent solvent when you really ought to disassemble something for proper
cleaning but can't for whatever reason. It's a lousy lube. It seems
like it works well at first, but any lubricating properties that it has
will be gone in a week or so.

In short, WD-40 is a quality product that has a place on any handyman or
mechanic's shelf, but it has been overhyped by its manufacturer and
recommended for many uses for which it's not suited. It's perfect for
drying out the distributor cap on your old Triumph - that's what it's
made for. As a solvent, it's great, especially if you're trying to
clean a painted surface where more aggressive solvents could cause
damage. As a penetrating oil, it sucks - use PB Blaster, Kroil, Wuerth
Rost Off instead. As a lubricant, it also sucks - use a simple oil can
or spray grease. Use the right tool for the job!

IMHO if your chain is really crapped up, *cleaning* it with WD-40 might
not be a bad place to start, but if mine really needed cleaning that bad
I might be tempted to remove it and clean it in something like a can of
carb dip instead. Then let dry, and lube it with something intended for
the purpose; either simple motor oil or by boiling it in grease.

Or you could just do what many people do and simply lube it with an oil
can loaded with plain old motor oil or ATF and simply keep on riding.

It's easy to pump the tires up.

I just took a look at the bike, and even though I have not touched it
in 2 years, the tires are not cracked.
They are totally worn/bare, but thats fine with me, since Im not doing
any serious riding.

No tread is OK, in fact is perfectly fine as long as you're not going
off-road. If the tires are actually showing cords, however, it's time
for replacement.

Replacing a rusted chain or control cable is a little harder.

The chain does not look rusted.

Replacing axle, bottom bracket, or headset bearings is harder.

Would I need to do that?

Not unless you have problems.

If padded tape on a handlebar isn't enough, try a pair of gloves with
palm pads.

I dont have tape, I have a sponge like material on the handle bars.
Im thinking of replacing that with the padded tape.

So I'm guessing has flat bars, not "drop" bars? (that is, mountain bike
or cruiser style bars, not "10 speed" bars?) You may be able to
purchase new grips at your LBS if you prefer those. Your choice.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 10th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-04-10, wrote:
[...]
If you're feeling adventurous, pick it up and spin the wheels round by
hand. Check they spin freely and don't make a grinding noise or
anything. If they do you might want to clean them out and replace the
grease, but you need special spanners for that.

I probably wont do that.
Even if they make a grinding noise, all that would do is slow the
bicycle down, make me work a little more to pedal (I assume)...

Pretty much.

I have no problems with that.

No worries then.

I called a bicycle place asked them, they said a tune up is $70, but
they wouldn't tell me what is involved.

They might be thinking of regreasing all the bearings. Otherwise they
probably just check it over and adjust the gears. Maybe they true the
wheels if they need them.

What bearings?

You've got bearings in the hubs (so the wheels can turn), the bottom
bracket (so the cranks can turn) and the headset (so you can steer).

Their life can in some cases be prolonged by cleaning them out and
replacing the grease occasionally, but nothing that disastrous happens
if you don't.

It's not like the bearings in your helicopter rotor. You probably want
to keep a closer eye on those ones.

[...]
You just put the oil on the chain. More details:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html.

Can't I just:
1. Have someone lift the bike by the seat (so the rear wheel is off
the ground)
2. Turn the pedal and hold a napkin against the chain (to get rid of
the oil thats there)
3. Then turn the pedal again, and put a few drops of WD-40 on the
chain

Wouldnt that work?

That would work just fine.

Although the part on the rear wheel that the chain connects to (the
place where the chain 'shifts') looks a bit grimy (but then again, it
has ALWAYS looked grimy).
Is that the derailer?

What I think you mean is called the "cassette" or the "sprockets", or,
if you want to annoy Brandt, the "cogs". They are often real grimy, it
doesn't matter.

I probably need to clean that also somehow. or maybe not.

The grime just gets pushed down between the cogs where it doesn't hurt
anyone. If you want to go to town a better investment of time is
probably to clean the chain properly.
Old April 11th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

WD-40 is no more liked by the RBT regulars. I find WD-40 useful for
cleaning asphalt off of test equipment.

[...]

Easy - Getting ALL the Jews, Christians and Muslims to agree on the true
teachings of God.

Hard - Getting cyclists to agree on proper chain cleaning and maintenance.

Old April 11th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ben C? wrote:
[...]
What I think you mean is called the "cassette" or the "sprockets", or,
if you want to annoy Brandt, the "cogs".[...]

I think Kentucky Bourbon Man and Dear Carl have that assignment covered
pretty well.