OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

Old August 12th 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:16:19 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

What would be really nice is to get a solid rotor like you can easily
buy for dirt bikes from companies such as Moose Racing. Never seen
anything like it for MTB. Plus a nice disc guard which is also easy to
buy for motorcycles but not for MTB. Beats me why not, I don't
understand why the bicycle industry is so far behind in that domain.

I've seen exactly one solid rear rotor at a local cyclocross event.
http://cyclo-x.com
It looked home made. You could probably make your own with CAD and a
laser cutter, if you can handle the metalurgy. (Extra credit for
adding water spray cooling).

Solid rotors are allegedly better in mud than perforated rotors:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/ryan-trebons-solid-disc-brake-rotors-spy-photos

Also, there are ceramic and composite rotors (of which I know
nothing):
http://www.buykettlecycles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1820
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kettlecycles/siccc-bicycle-brake-rotor-silicon-carbide-ceramic

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 12th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

What would be really nice is to get a solid rotor like you can easily
buy for dirt bikes from companies such as Moose Racing. Never seen
anything like it for MTB. Plus a nice disc guard which is also easy to
buy for motorcycles but not for MTB. Beats me why not, I don't
understand why the bicycle industry is so far behind in that domain.

I've seen exactly one solid rear rotor at a local cyclocross event.
http://cyclo-x.com
It looked home made. You could probably make your own with CAD and a
laser cutter, if you can handle the metalurgy. (Extra credit for
adding water spray cooling).

Solid rotors are allegedly better in mud than perforated rotors:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/ryan-trebons-solid-disc-brake-rotors-spy-photos

They are IMHO always better. You can get the ones for cyclocross off the
shelf, but those only come in 140mm which is way too wimpy for my riding
and could not even be mounted on my bike. Once upon a time when buffalo
still roamed the Wild West you could get the real deal from Avid:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...-rotordisc-new

But it seems, no more :-(

Also, there are ceramic and composite rotors (of which I know
nothing):
http://www.buykettlecycles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1820
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kettlecycles/siccc-bicycle-brake-rotor-silicon-carbide-ceramic

Yeah, but I am not going to spend north of $150 on a single rotor. You
can have them custom made (at least in Germany) for under 60 Euros, a
poster in another NG showed a link. I guess a decent local machine shop
with a laser cutter could do the same if you created an AutoCAD file for
it. Metal is fine, it doesn't have to be some highfalutin space-age
fiber stuff. I really do not care about weight.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 12th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

WHAT DOES YOUR PIG WEIGH ?
Old August 13th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:37:05 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Yeah, but I am not going to spend north of $150 on a single rotor. You
can have them custom made (at least in Germany) for under 60 Euros, a
poster in another NG showed a link.

Custom cut rotors:
http://www.brake-stuff.de/en/
https://shop.brake-stuff.de/en/custom-bremsscheiben/165-custom-made-disc-rotor-create-your-own-rotor-6-bolt.html
http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/dirty_dog0611.htm
http://www.sorblasercutting.co.uk/gallery-item.php?key=62
http://www.thediscdoctor.co.uk/Discs.htm

I guess a decent local machine shop
with a laser cutter could do the same if you created an AutoCAD file for
it. Metal is fine, it doesn't have to be some highfalutin space-age
fiber stuff. I really do not care about weight.

Yeah, that's what I suggested. If you want to make your own, here are
some articles with some muddle on the metalurgy:
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=50197
http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/material-brake-rotors-523051.html
http://www.galferusa.com/bicycle-wave-rotors/

Kinda looks like high carbon 420 or maybe 410 stainless steels are the
most common materials. Same as what's used to make knife blades.

Old August 14th 14, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Some time later I may try that. But not from Europe because shipping is
going to be expensive. Unless I happen to travel there.

Old August 14th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

HEAVY ? did you read the epic trans Sierra Gold miner-Emigrant trails Bikepacker blog post ? CF CF CF minimal. powdered water...

My equipment is steel and heavy. Became heavier after reading Bikepackers..

haven't hoisted a CF bike yet

try ceramic pads
Old August 15th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
HEAVY ? did you read the epic trans Sierra Gold miner-Emigrant
trails Bikepacker blog post ? CF CF CF minimal. powdered water...

My equipment is steel and heavy. Became heavier after reading
Bikepackers..

No idea what that blog is. Carbon is really expensive an AFAIK can be
unforgiving in a serious crash, meaning one may have toasted a $2k+ frame.

haven't hoisted a CF bike yet

try ceramic pads

Just ordered a bunch, these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Pairs-B...words=BB5+pads

Four pairs cost less than the lone $15 plus tax organic pair I bought at
my bike dealer yesterday. Considering that they only last 500mi per axle
that adds a whopping 6c/mile in cost. Got to get that down.

Same for tires. The rear is almost bald after 500mi. Costs around $50,
meaning another 10c/mile and that's not even counting the front tire
wear. There are some guys in a German NG who don't believe me that
running an MTB can be more expensive per mile than an SUV but it's true.
My SUV does run cheaper. So I also ordered one of these to see how it
rides and how many miles I get out of it:

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Vee-...lding-Tire.axd

Old August 16th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

No, I'm in Florida but I was in the area for 5 years and am traveling back next week thru OK and Wyoming. I was doing animal behavior research, begun from a bicycle commute, with Orca San Juan islands and grackles...my local tree frog is calling....hehehehe....above Yuma on the Colorado.

I would try moving thru the area going N-S.I drive a Ford E250 5.4 OHC with a GT suspension....Cal 89 is a favorite.

My off road bike is a steel Redline Champ cyclocross replica. I've ridden out of Bishop toward the lava field and plan on Mammoth next year. This winter the south CDT where tolerable.

I'm in good physical condition but 68+ so extensive climbing is not in order.
Old August 16th 14, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
No, I'm in Florida but I was in the area for 5 years and am traveling
back next week thru OK and Wyoming. I was doing animal behavior
research, begun from a bicycle commute, with Orca San Juan islands
and grackles...my local tree frog is calling....hehehehe....above
Yuma on the Colorado.

I would try moving thru the area going N-S.I drive a Ford E250 5.4
OHC with a GT suspension....Cal 89 is a favorite.

My off road bike is a steel Redline Champ cyclocross replica. I've
ridden out of Bishop toward the lava field and plan on Mammoth next
year. This winter the south CDT where tolerable.

Most of my regular routes I would not want to do on a Cyclocross bike.
My lower back ain't that good anymore and why torture oneself when
there's an abundance of nice FS bikes?

I'm in good physical condition but 68+ so extensive climbing is not
in order.

The epic trip is posted in Bikepacker under trip reports. There is an
online magazine for Rocky Mountain MTB trips, several for California.

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/

I can only see race reports.

We had gone back and forth on weight in BP forums with the ultra
riders educating me...the trip you read of is bottomline there or
topline....

I'm more declined for a few more pounds of comfort that would not
allow speed thru the areas read of. Plod is more like it.

Same here. My trips are mostly 4h but I like to pack lots of tools and
lots of water, plus food. You never know. Never had a bike breakdown
myself so far but could help others.

TSD suffers and as a CDT vet told me...'you maynot be fast enough to
do it (the CDT) as a slow rider runs out of water and....then
supplying for slowness adds more slownessnessness...

No idea what TSD and CDT is.

There's a threshold in there somewhere. Limited supply points...eg if
the supply point s 2 days away for a slow rider but 1/2 day for a
fast rider then how many moose are there in Grant NM ?

When I was younger I did some long hiking trips. They can be about as
exerting as long MTB rides but it was never a problem to pack enough
food for almost a week between supply points. One has to keep it simple
but I did splurge in that I almost always took along a big Italian hard
salami sausage (but don't do that in bear country). That alone lasted
4-5 days, easy. Then there's simple foods such as bannock where, other
than the premixed powder stuff, all you need is water and and a camp fire.