Using steel pipe for Yakima cross bars

Old May 20th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Using steel pipe for Yakima cross bars

The Yakima Cross Bars are 1-1/8" outer diameter mine were steel and rusted. Google is your friend here... You can find 1-1/8" OD aluminum extrusions online. It is difficult to find if you are searching for "pipe" or "tubing". "Extrusions" will get you where you want to be. However if you want them to be strong enough for multiple bikes, kayaks, etc. look for the 1/4" wall thickness. No shims should be necessary. If you want them black you will have to paint them, I recommend rubberized tool dip spray. Home Depot has it.
Old May 20th 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 11:36:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The Yakima Cross Bars are 1-1/8" outer diameter mine were steel and rusted. Google is your friend here... You can find 1-1/8" OD aluminum extrusions online. It is difficult to find if you are searching for "pipe" or "tubing". "Extrusions" will get you where you want to be. However if you want them to be strong enough for multiple bikes, kayaks, etc. look for the 1/4" wall thickness. No shims should be necessary. If you want them black you will have to paint them, I recommend rubberized tool dip spray. Home Depot has it.

HUH? You replied to a post that was made SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! I'm sure the OP figure out a solution by now.

Cheers
Old May 21st 15, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 1:50:01 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 11:36:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The Yakima Cross Bars are 1-1/8" outer diameter mine were steel and rusted. Google is your friend here... You can find 1-1/8" OD aluminum extrusions online. It is difficult to find if you are searching for "pipe" or "tubing". "Extrusions" will get you where you want to be. However if you want them to be strong enough for multiple bikes, kayaks, etc. look for the 1/4" wall thickness. No shims should be necessary. If you want them black you will have to paint them, I recommend rubberized tool dip spray. Home Depot has it.

HUH? You replied to a post that was made SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! I'm sure the OP figure out a solution by now.

Cheers

you could buy a canoe
Old May 21st 15, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 21 May 2015 13:21:26 +1000, James
wrote:

On 21/05/15 12:22, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2015 08:36:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The Yakima Cross Bars are 1-1/8" outer diameter mine were steel and rusted. Google is your friend here... You can find 1-1/8" OD aluminum extrusions online. It is difficult to find if you are searching for "pipe" or "tubing". "Extrusions" will get you where you want to be. However if you want them to be strong enough for multiple bikes, kayaks, etc. look for the 1/4" wall thickness. No shims should be necessary. If you want them black you will have to paint them, I recommend rubberized tool dip spray. Home Depot has it.

Essentially "tube" is measured on the outside while "pipe" is measured
on the inside :-) But of course today's smaller pipe is usually some
"nominal" size no longer measured on actual I.D.

I suggest that a 1" tube with 1/4" wall thickness might be overkill
for a handle bar :-)

For Joerg it might just be strong enough. ;-)

For Joerg I would suggest something like 6061 T6 bar stock. If that
fails then perhaps he might try steel :-) 6061 T6 typically has a
yield strength of 40,000 PSI ( a 1 inch bar has a cross section of
0.785" )

I doubt that weight can be a problem as I recently tried to pick up
one of these new fangled all singing, all dancing, mountain bikes and
certainly weight is not a consideration :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old May 21st 15, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 20 May 2015 20:41:32 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 10:22:26 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
[...]

Methinks they're talking about the cross bars for a Yakima car top roof rack.

Cheers

Even so a 1 inch tube with 1/4" walls is a pretty stout tube. More
like a hig powered rifle barrel than a car top carrier :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old September 10th 16, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

HUH? You replied to a post that was made SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! I'm sure the OP figure out a solution by now.

Cheers

Well, I, for one, appreciated the reply!

In September of 2016.