Roof Racks

Old August 27th 18, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Roof Racks

Has anyone had any damage to bikes simply from using a rood rack? A friend of mine had his C40 Colnago have its head tube simply break off. To me it looks like a manufacturing error but I wonder if it was caused because for 15 years he was carrying the bike on a roof rack. I can't imagine the bumps and centrifugal force and wind sheers not having some sort of effect.
Old August 27th 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:45:20 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/27/2018 1:13 PM, wrote:
Has anyone had any damage to bikes simply from using a rood rack? A friend of mine had his C40 Colnago have its head tube simply break off. To me it looks like a manufacturing error but I wonder if it was caused because for 15 years he was carrying the bike on a roof rack. I can't imagine the bumps and centrifugal force and wind sheers not having some sort of effect.

Was he using a fork mount rack (a bad idea) or a rack where the bike has
both wheels in a tray and bike is held onto the rack by the frame (a
good idea). Newer racks, designed for carbon fiber bicycles, hold the
bike by the wheels, with no frame contact, because you don't want to
damage the carbon fiber tubes with clamps or other hold downs.

But usually it's the fork that is damages, not the head tube.

I ride regularly with head of products for Yakima. They have virtually no problems with fork mounts that are not user-caused. I've been using Yakima fork mount roof racks since they were invented without any problems, except when my wife drove under a low over-hang with my Supersix on a fork-mount rack. All of the claimed problems had to do with dropouts, AFAIK. I've never heard tale of a head-tube falling off, but I could ask. Why do people buy Colnago? I'm always hearing about them falling apart.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 28th 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 8/27/2018 1:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

I’ve been using a Thule roof rack with fork mounts for years with no
issues. I had a Thule rack that carried the bike with wheels and had a
clamp on the down tube. It wasn’t very stable.

--
duane
Old August 28th 18, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 4:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone had any damage to bikes simply from using a rood rack? A friend of mine had his C40 Colnago have its head tube simply break off. To me it looks like a manufacturing error but I wonder if it was caused because for 15 years he was carrying the bike on a roof rack. I can't imagine the bumps and centrifugal force and wind sheers not having some sort of effect.

I've used roof racks almost exclusively for, oh, at least 30 years. They've
been fork mount for about the last 25 years.

The only problem came once when at the end of a long tour, I apparently mis-
clamped my wife's front dropouts. Her bike flopped partly over as I drove
off, and one dropout bent outward. So I took a wrench and straightened it.
It's been fine since. (BTW, only one bike in our stable has lawyer lips.
I admit they would have prevented that mishap.)

The tandem is also held by its front fork, but that's via an extension I
fabricated. It clamps into the rack's normal front fork clamp and extends
forward. A faux front axle clamps the tandem fork. But I have added a diagonal
brace that hooks onto the bike frame for belt-and-suspenders safety.

Usually when I pull our car back into our driveway, I tell my wife "I'm not
going to pull the car into the garage." Occasionally, instead of "Good idea"
she asks "Why not?" I then point up at the bike(s) on the roof.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 28th 18, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

I'm using a Thule roof rack with fork mounts. I've never had a problem with stability or safety. Before that, I had a Saris roof rack for several years, likewise with no problems.
I prefer the roof racks that clamp the fork dropouts because I believe they hold the bike more securely than racks that hold the bike upright with the front wheel on. Also, I think that configuration presents a slightly lower profile to the wind. I use a "bra" on my bike to protect it from rain; it also looks pretty slick!
Old August 29th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 8/27/2018 1:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

Most people who buy Colnago do so for the latest technology advances. As far as handling I've never noticed them to be any better than all of the other top line bikes. And I've found Pinarello to be better than most.
Old August 29th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 6:41:23 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
I'm using a Thule roof rack with fork mounts. I've never had a problem with stability or safety. Before that, I had a Saris roof rack for several years, likewise with no problems.
I prefer the roof racks that clamp the fork dropouts because I believe they hold the bike more securely than racks that hold the bike upright with the front wheel on. Also, I think that configuration presents a slightly lower profile to the wind. I use a "bra" on my bike to protect it from rain; it also looks pretty slick!

My experience is also that the fork mount seems to be more secure. I'm just curious about the continuous strain of wind nd road buffeting. And I try not to use roof racks anymore since they DO really screw up your gas mileage..
Old August 30th 18, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 6:41:23 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
I'm using a Thule roof rack with fork mounts. I've never had a problem with stability or safety. Before that, I had a Saris roof rack for several years, likewise with no problems.
I prefer the roof racks that clamp the fork dropouts because I believe they hold the bike more securely than racks that hold the bike upright with the front wheel on. Also, I think that configuration presents a slightly lower profile to the wind. I use a "bra" on my bike to protect it from rain; it also looks pretty slick!

My experience is also that the fork mount seems to be more secure. I'm just curious about the continuous strain of wind nd road buffeting. And I try not to use roof racks anymore since they DO really screw up your gas mileage.

Jobst talked about bearing damage from bikes in fork mount racks.

"The damage occurs when these small motions occur when there are no
steering motions to replenish lubricant while the bearing balls fret in
place. Fretting breaks down the lubricant film on which the balls
normally roll and without which they weld to the races and tear out tiny
particles."

The fork mount racks seem more secure because the bike doesn't move
around as much as on a rack where the bike sits on both wheels. Nut it's
still just as secure.
Old August 30th 18, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 1:49:10 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

What about a roof rack that holds to bike upside down and where the bike is secured by the handlebar and the saddle?

Cheers

Roof Mounted Racks ? Bob[_19_] General 3 September 7th 15 09:33 PM
Saris roof racks [email protected] Techniques 3 June 29th 06 03:08 PM
bike roof racks DJ Australia 6 January 22nd 05 06:17 AM
Roof Racks? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 3 December 5th 04 07:53 AM
Roof racks adownhiller Mountain Biking 11 November 9th 03 08:13 AM