Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

Old February 27th 18, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 04:41:54 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Hardly ridicule :-) Ever see a terminology
poster on the wall of a shop where people
actually knew what they were doing?

I initially trained as a machinist in a shop
where actual "Machinists" worked.
The Apprentice Master had gone to work as an
apprentice himself when he was 14 years old
and was nearly 70 years old when I knew him.

Not a poster in sight.

OK, so I shouldn't do it, just because some
one-dimensional guy you knew didn't do it all
his long life?

Why are you telling me this, really?

Why shouldn't you do it? After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.

But why one-dimensional? A guy who was well enough known in the trade
that people called him when they had problems?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 27th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.

So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 28th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 23:24:01 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.

So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!

The poster has nothing to do with it. The whole point is whether you
know what you are talking about, or not. If you need a poster on the
wall to tell you the name of the parts then you obviously don't know
what you are talking about.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

The whole point is whether you know what you
are talking about, or not. If you need
a poster on the wall to tell you the name of
the parts then you obviously don't know what
you are talking about.

Illogical. Something can't be so difficult so
that doing it without a poster for
70-14=56 years earns you respect, while at the
same time so easy that if you use a poster to
do it half a dozen of times, you don't
know jack.

I don't consider documentation for anything as
"cheating" or unprofessional, on the contrary.

If anyone brags about doing it without
documentation to enlarge the accomplishment,
I interpret this as whatever it is that is done
actually isn't that difficult to begin with.

Speaking generally, tho I suspect it applies
just fine to v-brakes...

Old March 2nd 18, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

This one is a Mustang from Trelleborg. It has
a "Gel" saddle from Bianchi and the
Shimano 5SP Positron shifter with a single
chainring. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly it
has a kickstand and a rack. The tires are
32-630 or 27x1-1/4.

Today I got the shifting to work!

The only challenge was that the adjustment
screw was behind a plate with a hole in it,
only this hole is too small for all my bits
drivers to enter, so an ordinary, thin PH2 made
it happen.

Altho I measured the old chain pin length to
around 8mm, maybe 8.1, I put on a
KMC Z8RB chain which is 1/2x3/32" with
a 7.1mm (9/32") pin length. I suppose it is
intended for 8S casettes but it worked fine for
the Positron FHEM 5S - at least all sprockets
are reachable when the bike is in the stand.

Old March 4th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.

So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!

The poster has nothing to do with it. The whole point is whether you
know what you are talking about, or not. If you need a poster on the
wall to tell you the name of the parts then you obviously don't know
what you are talking about.

Please also send him a poster on how to tell grenades from normal scrap!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html