A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Urge to yell at a cyclist



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 16th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman _[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,312
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was
riding less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. I felt
like stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.

[1] With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Ads
  #2  
Old September 16th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,212
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

"Tom Sherman _" wrote in message
...
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was riding
less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. I felt like
stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.

[1] With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


She was right where she should have been. If you take the lane it is just
matter of time until you are hit by a motor vehicle.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota


  #3  
Old September 16th 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman _[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,312
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

On 9/15/2010 7:50 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
...
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was riding
less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. I felt like
stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.

[1] With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


She was right where she should have been. If you take the lane it is just
matter of time until you are hit by a motor vehicle.

Ed Dolan, as anyone who has practiced vehicular cycling methods will
know, is wrong. Furthermore, Mr. Dolan is promoting cyclist inferiority
- motorist superiority.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
  #4  
Old September 16th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,212
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist


"Tom Sherman _" wrote in message
...
On 9/15/2010 7:50 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
...
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was
riding
less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. I felt like
stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.

[1] With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


She was right where she should have been. If you take the lane it is just
matter of time until you are hit by a motor vehicle.

Ed Dolan, as anyone who has practiced vehicular cycling methods will know,
is wrong. Furthermore, Mr. Dolan is promoting cyclist inferiority -
motorist superiority.


All Mr. Dolan is doing is attempting to prevent you from being killed on the
road by a motorist. Those who advocate taking the lane are worse than
criminals. It is one sure way of getting hit by a motor vehicle sooner or
later.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota


  #5  
Old September 16th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DennisTheBald
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 341
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

On Sep 15, 6:08*pm, Tom Sherman _
wrote:
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was
riding less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. *I felt
like stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.

[1] *With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.


Whatever else you may or may not do at other times, when you're
driving in your truck you're a motorist.
While I certainly wouldn't purport myself to speak for all cyclists it
has been my observation that in general cyclists love unsolicited
advice on how to cycle from motorists. Resist such urges.
  #6  
Old September 17th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,511
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

On Sep 16, 5:02*pm, DennisTheBald wrote:
On Sep 15, 6:08*pm, Tom Sherman _

wrote:
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was
riding less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. *I felt
like stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.


[1] *With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.


Whatever else you may or may not do at other times, when you're
driving in your truck you're a motorist.
While I certainly wouldn't purport myself to speak for all cyclists it
has been my observation that in general cyclists love unsolicited
advice on how to cycle from motorists. *Resist such urges.


I resist such urges. But the behavior of gutter bunnies dismays me.

I passed a guy riding even worse just four days ago. The country road
was deserted, visibility excellent, I moved entirely into the opposing
lane to pass him, and yet he was _on_ the white line, less than 6"
from where it dropped down at least an inch into gravel.

Worse, I recall earlier this summer driving on a narrow country lane.
In this case, we were heading west, and a lycra cyclist on a nice
looking bike was heading east on the proper side of the road. A
pickup truck was approaching the cyclist from his rear, and it was
clear we'd all be at the same place at the same time. I thought "That
guy needs to take his lane NOW."

He didn't. Instead, he rode off the pavement, continuing riding in
the grass at the side of the road, maybe a foot from the edge of the
pavement. That's where he was when the pickup truck squeezed between
us. If the cyclist had hit a bump in the grass, he could have been
flattened.

We have a right to the road. We shouldn't risk our lives out of
timidity or slavish "politeness."

- Frank Krygowski
  #7  
Old September 17th 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,212
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist


"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
...
[...]
Worse, I recall earlier this summer driving on a narrow country lane.

In this case, we were heading west, and a lycra cyclist on a nice
looking bike was heading east on the proper side of the road. A
pickup truck was approaching the cyclist from his rear, and it was
clear we'd all be at the same place at the same time. I thought "That
guy needs to take his lane NOW."

He didn't. Instead, he rode off the pavement, continuing riding in

the grass at the side of the road, maybe a foot from the edge of the
pavement. That's where he was when the pickup truck squeezed between
us. If the cyclist had hit a bump in the grass, he could have been
flattened.

That cyclist did exactly the right thing. He needed to know what was coming
from behind as well as what was coming ahead. The he should have slowed down
and been prepared to take to the shoulder. You will live longer that way
than taking the lane.

We have a right to the road. We shouldn't risk our lives out of

timidity or slavish "politeness."

Every cyclist should be riding with a rear view mirror and be using it every
few seconds. A right to the road will not prevent you from being killed.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota



  #8  
Old September 20th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DennisTheBald
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 341
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

On Sep 16, 7:17*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sep 16, 5:02*pm, DennisTheBald wrote:



On Sep 15, 6:08*pm, Tom Sherman _


wrote:
Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was
riding less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. *I felt
like stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.


[1] *With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.


Whatever else you may or may not do at other times, when you're
driving in your truck you're a motorist.
While I certainly wouldn't purport myself to speak for all cyclists it
has been my observation that in general cyclists love unsolicited
advice on how to cycle from motorists. *Resist such urges.


I resist such urges. *But the behavior of gutter bunnies dismays me.

I passed a guy riding even worse just four days ago. *The country road
was deserted, visibility excellent, I moved entirely into the opposing
lane to pass him, and yet he was _on_ the white line, less than 6"
from where it dropped down at least an inch into gravel.

Worse, I recall earlier this summer driving on a narrow country lane.
In this case, we were heading west, and a lycra cyclist on a nice
looking bike was heading east on the proper side of the road. *A
pickup truck was approaching the cyclist from his rear, and it was
clear we'd all be at the same place at the same time. *I thought "That
guy needs to take his lane NOW."

He didn't. *Instead, he rode off the pavement, continuing riding in
the grass at the side of the road, maybe a foot from the edge of the
pavement. *That's where he was when the pickup truck squeezed between
us. *If the cyclist had hit a bump in the grass, he could have been
flattened.

We have a right to the road. *We shouldn't risk our lives out of
timidity or slavish "politeness."

- Frank Krygowski


yeah, gutter bunnies drool.
And if you find yourself cycling along in the same direction with such
a person it might be appropriate to engage in some casual conversation
where you might mention the somewhat counter intuitive idea that
riding further to the left is actually safer. Conversations among
cyclists are one thing, unintelligible shouts through the window of a
motor vehicle are quite another.

Motorists fall way below gutter bunnies on the drool-o-meter.
  #9  
Old September 21st 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,212
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
...
[...]
yeah, gutter bunnies drool.

And if you find yourself cycling along in the same direction with such
a person it might be appropriate to engage in some casual conversation
where you might mention the somewhat counter intuitive idea that
riding further to the left is actually safer. Conversations among
cyclists are one thing, unintelligible shouts through the window of a
motor vehicle are quite another.

Motorists fall way below gutter bunnies on the drool-o-meter.


The only drooling I know about are from fools like Dennis who regularly get
hit by motorists who resent them being on the road in the first place. Get
out of the way of motor vehicles if you want to live. Otherwise you will be
left drooling blood all over the highway as roadkill.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota



  #10  
Old September 21st 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 381
Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

On Sep 15, 5:50*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Tom Sherman _" wrote in ...

Today while driving my work truck, I passed a cyclist [1] that was riding
less than foot from the white line on a two-lane road. *I felt like
stopping and yelling "take the lane" at her.


[1] *With more than 12 feet of lateral clearance.


She was right where she should have been. If you take the lane it is just
matter of time until you are hit by a motor vehicle.


Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Just stay home until conditions
improve.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comments you liked or disliked the most yell at you? gangstertaco Unicycling 2 August 11th 08 06:13 AM
Favorite Things People Yell .. chicagounicycle Unicycling 19 June 3rd 07 12:54 AM
Soreen + muni = urge to vomit? gkmac Unicycling 14 May 31st 07 07:56 AM
I'm really scared y'all are going to yell at me... Paul Hobson Techniques 16 September 3rd 05 02:11 PM
Things people yell to me gasmaster Unicycling 28 July 18th 04 05:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.