Bikes and Riding

Old June 14th 21, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Bikes and Riding

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.

That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.

How can you claim to be reading my postings and then say that I'm buying ever lighter bikes and components? Chinese aero wheels have a 400 gram penalty over Enve and Zipp wheels. I sold my 16 lb bike and my 17.5 lb bike and am keeping an aluminum 19.5 lb. bike. The Douglas Ti is a lb heavier than that. And it appears that the Airborne will come in about the same weight as the Eddy Merckx. I have stated on here many times that I could not tell the difference between a 16 lb. bike and a 20 lb. bike. Why do you insist on inventing your own reality to pin on me?
Old June 14th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:13:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/13/2021 10:30 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:05:20 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

John B. writes:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:09:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/13/2021 12:39 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:45:03 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because
they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.

Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What
would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to
ride?
Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi

--
- Frank Krygowski

If I act my age I would be riding an E bike paying no attention and
bother every faster rider half of the time.
No thanks.

I'm way older than you, Lou. I don't ride an e-bike. The friends I ride
with also don't use them. We ride at the pace we ride. And if someone is
slower on a particular day, we wait up.

I do know one guy who bought an e-bike so he could keep up with the fast
riders, but I think that's a little weird. Those fast guys are doing
hours of real training to enjoy some friendly competition and to push
themselves. (Been there, done that. It's fun.)

Showing up with a big pot belly and an electric motor to ride "A" rides
seems somehow wrong.

When you get right down to it a bicycle with a motor on it is a
"motorcycle" and if one is going to ride a motorcycle why be satisfied
with some tiny little weak kneed thing that will just keep up with the
rest. Why not get a real one and lead the pack?

And before someone announces that an e-bike has pedals I might add, so
did the 1905 Harley-Davidson.

The only reason is regulation -- one is allowed to ride while paying
less tax, or at a younger age, or on paths closed to other motor
traffice, or ... Otherwise the natural evolutionary process of a
motor-assisted bicycle is toward stronger motors and heavier vehicles,
until the pedals are either dropped or become ridiculous.

I don't know about the regulations in the various U.S. states but in
Singapore e-bikes are quite stringently regulated. Maximum speed is
specified 25 kmh, max power 250 watts, must have pedals, must be
pedaled to start, no "throttle", must have both vehicle registration
and a "type approved" certificate. Penalties for failure to comply are
First-time offenders can be subject to a fine of $2,000 and/or
imprisonment of up to three months. It is also an offence to use
non-compliant e-scooters on public paths and first-time offenders may
face a fine $10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to six months.

But of course that is Singapore where it is believed the strict laws
and stringent enforcement is the answer to the "crime problem".

In the U.S., it varies state by state, but most are pretty similar:
https://www.wired.com/story/guide-to-ebike-classes/

As I understand it, 750 Watts is easy to buy. And I've read that it's
not hard to buy gizmos that will remove all restrictions in software, to
hot rod a legal bike.

I'm sure we can look forward to young guys hitting 40 mph on multi-use
trails. Idiots abound.

The Stealth B-52 is currently advertised to have a top speed of 80
Km/h ( 49.7 Mph)
https://stealthelectricbikes.com/stealth-b-52/
And it only weighs 51Kg (12 lbs).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 21, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Damn. You left a "1" off your kilo/pound conversion -- 112lbs versus 12lbs. At 12 pounds, I was going to order one.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 15th 21, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

about 10% more mass than my girlfriend and probably not as
entertaining.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 15th 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes and even worse I had used a conversion application to convert Kg
- Lb, and then copied it to my post so apparently I can't even copy
correctly this morning :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Girlfriend? 12 Lbs? 10% more mass?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 21, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Is that how you typically weigh her?

Old June 15th 21, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 8:52:30 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

95lb soaking wet.

Is that how you typically weigh her?

OK, now that was funny.

There ARE more adults riding bikes PatTX General 84 October 27th 08 03:30 AM
SOMETIMES RIDING BIKES IS BAD FOR YOUR YOU [email protected] General 44 November 17th 07 03:44 AM
riding bikes ROCKS Bleve Australia 24 December 15th 05 07:10 PM
What bikes are 6'4" blokes riding. Peter Goddard UK 13 March 16th 05 10:08 AM
What bikes should I be test riding? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 April 13th 04 08:23 AM