bottom bracket cable guide

Old February 2nd 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Neal

Default bottom bracket cable guide

I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Old February 2nd 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 2, 3:58*pm, "Neal" wrote:
I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. *I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. *Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Perhaps you could use a teflon coated cable?
Old February 3rd 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hands Of Stone

On Feb 2, 1:23*pm, wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:58*pm, "Neal" wrote:

I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. *I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. *Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Perhaps you could use a teflon coated cable?

When I had my old steel bike, I used a section of just the cable liner
(the teflon-coated ones), and replaced it every maintenance cycle -
worked fine.
Old February 3rd 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Neal wrote:
I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Oil the wire at the clip occasionally with whatever you put on a chain.

A better solution is to drill the BB shell, add a nylon plate and flip
the chainstay stop from top to bottom (or add a clip-on stop, depending
on the year of your Gios). Use gear casing not spiral casing and
Campagnolo Ergo gear wires.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 3rd 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2009-02-02, Neal wrote:

I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

I've never had a problem with these guides, but I suppose you could pull
the liner out of a piece of cable housing and use that.

--

John )
Old February 3rd 09, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On Feb 2, 8:58*pm, "Neal" wrote:
I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. *I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. *Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Use Molyslip, an engine oil additive containing molybdenum disulphide
and graphite. Only a drop on the cable and on the guide. Worked a
treat on a door latch which kept sticking and could not hold any other
lubricant for long. Could also be valuble for long term chain
lubrication.
Old February 3rd 09, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Neal wrote:
I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. I have noticed this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. Is there a
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Last fall I modernized the shifting on my girlfriend's race bike which
uses small metal tubes for cable routing above the bottom bracket. I
cleaned the tubes and inserted enough grease, but apart from that there
is no problem. If you use some kind of insert you have to make sure it
doesn't impair the cable and it stays in place. The most elegant
solution might be to remove the outer part of the housing from the cable
stops downwards but to leave the inner part of the housing intact, so
the cable itself stays in the housing until beyond the bottom bracket (a
little more friction, but the tube stays put and it's optically "clean")...

Thanks to very bad public bike stands I damaged my cables a few times.
So my bike uses upper cable routing for gear-shift now ;-) And - being
an all-weather-bike I took great care to house the cables as much as
possible, so the front derailleur housing goes from the shifter to a
cable-stop along the seat tube and the rear derailleur housing right
into the derailleur's cable-stop.

You wouldn't want to do this on a race-bike (the upper routing I mean),
but if you experience continuous problems, try a fully-housed cable,
right up to the rear derailleur and use a clamp-on cable stop close to
the bottom bracket for the front one (you need to experiment where to
put the clamp-on cable stop, this is a bit of a problem ;-)

Have fun...
Old February 3rd 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Neal

"Hands Of Stone" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 1:23 pm, wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:58 pm, "Neal" wrote:

I have a older Gios that has been upgraded to Ergo. The frame has the
metal
rear derailleur cable guide above the bottom bracket. I have noticed
this
setup produces more friction than the newer under the BB type. Is there
teflon or other type of insert I could put into the guide to reduce
friction?

Perhaps you could use a teflon coated cable?

When I had my old steel bike, I used a section of just the cable liner
(the teflon-coated ones), and replaced it every maintenance cycle -
worked fine.

I tried your suggestion and the cable liner definately improved the ease of
shifting. I thought the liner would move out of place but it stays in the
guide perfectly.

Neal