OT, but interesting, bit about the US and a cyclist killing a jogger.

Old October 7th 10, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default OT, but interesting, bit about the US and a cyclist killing a jogger.

weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

Old October 7th 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

"Huddleston was hit Thursday evening, apparently when she abruptly
turned into a cyclist’s path in a section of the trail near Routh
Street. She was wearing headphones and may not have heard the bicycle
approaching, police said.

She was taken to the hospital with critical head injuries."

I'm surprised you didn't suggest that if she had worn a helmet it would
have saved her life.

Tony
Old October 8th 10, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

"Huddleston was hit Thursday evening, apparently when she abruptly
turned into a cyclist’s path in a section of the trail near Routh
Street. She was wearing headphones and may not have heard the bicycle
approaching, police said.

She was taken to the hospital with critical head injuries."

I'm surprised you didn't suggest that if she had worn a helmet it
would have saved her life.

Tony

I now understand that there is an embargo on mentioning anything which may
save injury/death, such as obeying the highway code, observing traffic
directions, wearing protective equipment, using lights at night, avoiding A
roads with a small child in tow, using one way streets the correct way,
undertaking large vehicles at junctions, giving pedestrians on crossings
precendence, having working brakes etc. etc. Basically anything that
might make cycling safer or more popular is to be pooh-poohed.

Old October 8th 10, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 7, 9:37*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

Terrible accident, I cycled that trail a few years back with a local
cycling group.

The comments about cyclist/driver dynamics are interesting, I find
cycling in the US a lot less stressful. US drivers, on the whole, tend
to be a lot more courteous and leave a lot more room, maybe due to
their compensation culture? But then I found that to be true of
Yorkshire drivers compared to Cambridge recently ...

--
Dan
Old October 8th 10, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

My apologies, I had forgotten you were the self appointed group
moderator.

In deference to that I won't therefore mention the major risk of
injury/death to cyclist viz. badly driven motor vehicles because I know
you will only allow the mention of trivial ones.

--
Tony
Old October 8th 10, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Tony Raven wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

you expressed surprise at what I had mentioned, I explained my rationale.

by all means mention cyclists killed by cars, it is a cycling group, but
surely I can decide what I mention? or is that proscribed too?

Old October 8th 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

by all means mention cyclists killed by cars, it is a cycling group, but
surely I can decide what I mention? or is that proscribed too?

It was you that suggested there was an embargo on certain types of
information and you seem to be the one most often complaining about
stuff being OT. Since no-one else has, I assumed you must have started it.

Tony
Old October 8th 10, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Tony Raven wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

1 fatality in 3,651,607,826 miles driven isn't a serious threat to cyclists.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old October 8th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

"Huddleston was hit Thursday evening, apparently when she abruptly
turned into a cyclist’s path in a section of the trail near Routh
Street. She was wearing headphones and may not have heard the bicycle
approaching, police said.

She was taken to the hospital with critical head injuries."

I'm surprised you didn't suggest that if she had worn a helmet it
would have saved her life.

I'm surprised you didn't realise she wouldn't have heard the cyclist without
the headphones.

Thats what make pavement cyclists so dangerous. Silent killers.

Old October 8th 10, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 8, 5:50*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't realise she wouldn't have heard the cyclist without
the headphones.

Thats what make pavement cyclists so dangerous. *Silent killers.

Not as deadly as cars apparently, the AA have coined a rather
derogatory name for the poor victims, 'Ipod Zombies'

"Furthermore, the AA claims that the zombified state may be the cause
of some 500 pedestrian deaths of the total 27,000 pedestrian
casualties there were last year."

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/08/0...-into-traffic/

--
Dan

36 years for killing a cyclist, more like it... PiledHigher Australia 2 April 12th 07 09:35 AM
US$150 for killing a cyclist Kristian M Zoerhoff Social Issues 0 December 12th 06 04:07 PM
killing of two cyclist kevin Racing 3 January 8th 06 11:15 AM
Killing of two cyclist by a hit an run drunk while they kevin General 1 January 7th 06 04:29 PM
Killing a cyclist - not OT dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 23 April 17th 04 01:17 PM