Campy compatibility

Old November 7th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Campy compatibility

Hi,

I like to get a spare wheel/tire to swap when I use my trainer, I seem
to be getting a decent amount of wear on my tires form using the
trainer.

It goes without saying that I like a cheap wheel for it. My bike holds
2007 Campy Veloce CT parts and a C10 ultra narrow chain.

I tried looking this up but according to Campy using anything but the
same elements from 1 groupset is almost unforgivable. I assume they
like selling parts. I swapped in my wife's wheel which is set up with
a no-name 9 speed cassette for use on a 9sp Xenon group, that seemed
to work.

My question is: what is the deal here, can I use a different kind of
cassette from like SRAM even if it is 9 speed? Would that wear my 10sp
narrow chain? I don't need super smooth shifting so I don't even mind
not having the ultra-drive feature on that cassette...

Advice ?
Thanks!

Old November 7th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nigel Cliffe

wrote:
[...]

Assuming you want gear changing to work with minimal hassles/research, then
any Campagnolo 10-speed cassette will do, on any suitable hub. Can be the
cheapest ones going - Xenon/Mirage these days.

If gear changing not required, then almost any fairly narrow tooth cassette
will work, but you will need to diddle the gear shift adjusters to line the
chain up. Not sure why I'd bother with this option unless I had spare
wheel/cassette/etc. lying in shed.

If gear shifting is required, and want to do the research, then other
combinations may work. Most of the published tables show mixing Campagnolo
shifters with Shimano Derailleurs and Cassettes, whereas you just want to
mix the cassette.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at

Old November 7th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Well it's reasonably clear that economics are a prime factor. I'm not
planning on paying much for my swap/trainer wheel. I don't have a
spare lying around but I might go second hand shopping for an old used
wheel somewhere. I found an 8 speed campy wheel/hub for around 30$ but
I assume that's not compatible.

Old November 7th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Nov 7, 7:29 am, wrote:
Well it's reasonably clear that economics are a prime factor. I'm not
planning on paying much for my swap/trainer wheel. I don't have a
spare lying around but I might go second hand shopping for an old used
wheel somewhere. I found an 8 speed campy wheel/hub for around 30$ but
I assume that's not compatible.

That's correct.

I too can report that Shimano 9s cassettes shift fine with C10
systems, you just need to set the first position on the small cog, and
set the limit screws to lock out the last click.

Personally, I'd stick with 10s chain, as the RD cage plates on a 10s
are closer together. I used a 10s RD on an otherwise 9s system, and
the chain was noisy enough going through the pulleys to make me
worried stuff was scraping. 10s chain quieted it right up, and I wound
up switching to 10s on that bike soon, anyway.

Old November 7th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 7, 4:37 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Nov 7, 7:29 am, wrote:

Well it's reasonably clear that economics are a prime factor. I'm not
planning on paying much for my swap/trainer wheel. I don't have a
spare lying around but I might go second hand shopping for an old used
wheel somewhere. I found an 8 speed campy wheel/hub for around 30$ but
I assume that's not compatible.

That's correct.

I too can report that Shimano 9s cassettes shift fine with C10
systems, you just need to set the first position on the small cog, and
set the limit screws to lock out the last click.

Personally, I'd stick with 10s chain, as the RD cage plates on a 10s
are closer together. I used a 10s RD on an otherwise 9s system, and
the chain was noisy enough going through the pulleys to make me
worried stuff was scraping. 10s chain quieted it right up, and I wound
up switching to 10s on that bike soon, anyway.

Is it possible to discard a cog and make a workable wheel by using 9
speed or 10 speed cogs on the 8 speed hub ?
In other words, can I convert an 8 speed wheel to work with a 10 speed
setup (at the price of sacrificing some gears)?

It's good to know that shimano 9sp works as well, that broadens my
second hands buy criteria.

Old November 7th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nigel Cliffe

On Nov 7, 7:29 am, wrote:

[...]

I'm not convinced by the 9sp Shimano case, it probably works by the
tollerance built into the systems (all jockey wheels have some side float in
them ).

Shimano 8 should work very well with Campagnolo 10 speed shifters:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
I'd trust the author as one of the better UK technical experts on bicycle
bits.

That shows a Shimano 8 system pulls the same cable as a Campagnolo 10.
It also shows a Shimano 9 working with a Campagnolo 10 shifter if the cable
routing is changed on the rear derraileur (so called Hubbub routing).

But you'd still need to setup the derailleur stops and align the indexing
when the wheel was swapped from the road "10" to the trainer "8" or "9". If
you're happy with that fiddling each time, its fine, but otherwise I'd still
get a 10 speed wheel.

- Nigel

Old November 7th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pete Grey

I've actually ridden many thousands of miles with the
Shimano-hub/Campy-9-ergo setup.
It works fine, with the tolerance you mention that's in the system by
default.

I've done this due to good buys on Shimano wheels, etc. Currently I'm back
on a Campy 9-speed hub on my rain bike, but wouldn't hesitate to use a
Shimano-spaced hub next round, if that's what comes along....

Being wary of this is natural IMO, but if you've done it once you know just
how well it works;-]

-pete

Old November 7th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Colin Campbell writes:

Two of my friends who use a trainer showed me the rear wheel they use.
It has a special tire (perhaps solid?) that is designed for use with a
trainer. I don't know the brand, or where they bought it, or how much
it cost, but it is a bright orange color - you would notice it right
away if you had it on when you went out for a road ride.

At least Continental and Tacx make such tires (ordinary foldable
clinchers). The big plus is that there is no patch of black (or
indeed any) rubber dust on the floor after trainering. Stands to
reason that as a consequence it should last a lot longer as well,
but my trainer use is way too infrequent to notice such things.
Old November 8th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Nov 7, 7:29 am, wrote:

[...]

second hands buy criteria.- Hide quoted text -

Not on a Campy 8-speed hub - those have a different spline pattern
than the 9/10 ones. On Shimano, 8/9/10 speed hubs are all the same
thing (well, there are some 10-speed-only hubs, but that's a different
story).

So your cheapest option is to get any 8/9/10 spaced Shimano wheel and
get a 9-speed Shimano or SRAM cassette, adjust your limit screws and
cable, and go ride.

FWIW, the SRAM PG-950 12-25 cassette I had on an Ultegra 6500 hub
shifted better than the American Classic 12-2510-speed conversion
cassette I got to replace it, with an otherwise 2007 Veloce 10s setup
(including chain). I just didn't have an 18t cog on the SRAM, and I
can't say I noticed.