Good links to shocking picture of cracking chain links

Old January 24th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ivar Hesselager

Default Good links to shocking picture of cracking chain links

This chain has run 1800 km or 1100 miles. It was shifting and running
perfectly untill it broke. A very, very lucky break and fall,I see now -
(se thread below). I really had it coming sooner or later with four more
cracks in the chain waiting for their moment of truth.

http://picasaweb.google.dk/ivar.hess...62452484615042

http://www.23hq.com/ihl/photo/2830930 (thanks Jim)

Note the two cracks that I placed just underneath the broken link.

I can't believe that Rex Cleaner Plus from Motorex will make a bicycle
chain fall apart. If so, they should immediately stop selling it as chain
cleaner. And shimano should more specifically describe the hazrd in their
instruction sheet.

**** happens, allright. But doesn't this look to be a systematic problem,
that deserves further investigation by Shimano and Motorex and apossible
warning to other chain consumers.

Ivar of Denmark
Old January 24th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:42:34 +0100, "Ivar Hesselager"
may have said:

[...]

I don't see the earmarks of the kind of etching-derived failures that
I found in my testing; I suspect that the problem is entirely in the
chain or the stresses applied to it in this instance.

Old January 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
[...]

I've only ridden fixed for the last 5 months, and a snapped chain is a
very scary prospect.

Looks like a vote of confidence for the "only use this on SRAM chains"
Powerlink, though!

Old January 25th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
This chain has run 1800 km or 1100 miles. It was shifting and running
perfectly untill it broke. A very, very lucky break and fall,I see now
- (se thread below). I really had it coming sooner or later with four
more cracks in the chain waiting for their moment of truth.

http://picasaweb.google.dk/ivar.hess...62452484615042

http://www.23hq.com/ihl/photo/2830930 (thanks Jim)

Note the two cracks that I placed just underneath the broken link.

I can't believe that Rex Cleaner Plus from Motorex will make a bicycle
chain fall apart.

why not? if it has the wrong components for the application, and wasn't
tested adequately, it can most certainly cause this problem.

If so, they should immediately stop selling it as
chain cleaner.

yes. and?

And shimano should more specifically describe the hazrd
in their instruction sheet.

why should shimano do that? "do not use this chain to beat minors or
small animals"? "do not use to haul loaded semi's"? the fault looks to
be with the manufacturer of the "cleaner" - they didn't test their
product adequately.

**** happens, allright. But doesn't this look to be a systematic
problem, that deserves further investigation by Shimano and Motorex and
apossible warning to other chain consumers.

it's almost certainly not a shimano problem - that chain doesn't appear
cracking due to something basic in the material - it would most likely
be following the link axis if that were the case. it's much more likely
to be stress corrosion [orientation].

stop "cleaning" your chain with this stuff. either use a dry lube, or
use a wet lube and wipe - you'll never see another chain breakage.
Old January 25th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

may have said:

[...]

etching is not stress corrosion.